Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen Guy - uneasy feeling - cash under table etc.

Options
  • 05-09-2015 7:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Hi! I have a really uneasy feeling about a guy I gave e3000 cheque to recently as deposit for my kitchen and wardobes. The deposit was made out to his company acccount, but he was reluctant to give me a receipt, and eventually he just wrote on a piece of white paper that I had given him e3000 deposit but didn't say what it was for, or how much the whole job would cost - he signed his own name to the piece of paper.

He said the whole job was 13,500 - kitchen and wardrobes in three bedrooms, and that I had to pay him cash for the rest. I sent him an email confirming this price and confirming that the start date was the 14th September. He said he couldn't email me back re the price as he wanted it cash, and confirmed verbally that the start date was 14th, but didn't email back to confirm this. I've a feeling he won't start on 14th - a tiler I used recommended him, and I texted the tiler to return after his friend had done the Kitchen on 21st Sept, but no reply from the tiler - they are good friends, so I am just surmising that the deposit has been taken but he won't start the job until many months time. The cheque for deposit hasn't gone through yet, and I'm thinking of stopping it - help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Stop the cheque. You're not comfortable working with somebody got cash so don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Hannaho wrote: »
    Hi! I have a really uneasy feeling about a guy I gave e3000 cheque to recently as deposit for my kitchen and wardobes. The deposit was made out to his company acccount, but he was reluctant to give me a receipt, and eventually he just wrote on a piece of white paper that I had given him e3000 deposit but didn't say what it was for, or how much the whole job would cost - he signed his own name to the piece of paper.

He said the whole job was 13,500 - kitchen and wardrobes in three bedrooms, and that I had to pay him cash for the rest. I sent him an email confirming this price and confirming that the start date was the 14th September. He said he couldn't email me back re the price as he wanted it cash, and confirmed verbally that the start date was 14th, but didn't email back to confirm this. I've a feeling he won't start on 14th - a tiler I used recommended him, and I texted the tiler to return after his friend had done the Kitchen on 21st Sept, but no reply from the tiler - they are good friends, so I am just surmising that the deposit has been taken but he won't start the job until many months time. The cheque for deposit hasn't gone through yet, and I'm thinking of stopping it - help!!

He's doing the work as a semi cash job. He took the cheque and that's what he'll declare to revenue to keep them off his back. The remaining 10,500 will be cash and no receipt will be given for this as this is straight into his pocket without revenue knowing about this. He won't send anything by e-mail or give anything in writing because that leaves a papertrail for revenue to pick up on.

That's the situation as it is. Your choice is to accept this situation and all that comes with it, or you can demand to have a paper trail in which case I'd guess he will come back with a larger price that includes taxes so the revenue get their cut.

P.S I'm not condoning this activity I'm just clarifying the situation for the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Danielle D

I would cancel the cheque and either look for someone else or tell him you want proper receipts & are not comfortable paying by cash. Even if he or another builder come in dearer with VAT included you can look into claiming the VAT back under the Home Renovation Incentive Scheme. This gives you a tax credit for the VAT portion of allowable home renovations. You will get more info on the revenue website.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I presume that you got three quotes from different people got the job.
    10,000 is a lot of money to take and not pay VAT on. He's pocketing an extra 1,300 that should go towards our health system etc.
    13,500 is a lot and reputable company could probably do it for the same price and allow you to claim back under the HRI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

This forum cannot condone illegal activity. Revenue fraud is against the law.

Sorry OP but this thread can't continue. Plenty of red flags in what you've written but it's not too late to cancel the cheque and engage a tradesman who does things by the book.

Thread closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement