Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling of goods

Options
  • 05-09-2015 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have been planning on selling products such as balms and maybe foam rollers in my physical therapy clinic but i cant find anything around rules for balms and stuff? very new to this sort of thing and I dont want to start selling stuff if it gets me shut down:)
    Thanks
    John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

As long as the premises is classed as retail there's no problem assuming its just regular stuff. Seems crazy to not have some retail if that's how you have it now those add on sales are vital!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

jimmii wrote: »
    As long as the premises is classed as retail there's no problem assuming its just regular stuff. Seems crazy to not have some retail if that's how you have it now those add on sales are vital!

Ah ok don't think the office space is classed as rerail its only a room I rent....

Chaos wrote: »
    Ah ok don't think the office space is classed as retail its only a room I rent....

Worth checking the lease it could cover retail as well. If not then contact the council see how hard it would be to add retail to the unit in some areas its easier than others.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

jimmii wrote: »
    Worth checking the lease it could cover retail as well. If not then contact the council see how hard it would be to add retail to the unit in some areas its easier than others.

Would it need to be classed as retail if the product sales are incidental to the provision of the physical therapy services?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Graham wrote: »
    Would it need to be classed as retail if the product sales are incidental to the provision of the physical therapy services?

I'd agree, it's just an add-on sale to the provision of the service. Think hair salons, hotel spas and the stuff they sell. I've never been in a beauty parlour but I'd guess they are the same. Go for it!

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »

Its a bit of a grey area alright. I guess there might be some unofficial amount you can sell without needing retail pp but where is the line drawn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

As long as your existing planning permits the use as a physical therapy clinic, the sale of anciliary products is permitted. Displaying them in a window enticing passing trade would be full on retail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

In a ruling by an bord pleanala in 2012 between Galway cc & Kilcolgan garden centre. Planning was not required for a cafe as it was not the main use of the premises and occupied less than 20% of the gross floor area and was "complimentary" to the main use.

Therefore there is no issue with sale of items that compliment your main business. And no issue in advertising / displaying the goods either.

In a worse case scenario, (and highly unlikely) you would initially be asked to withdraw the products from sale and if you persisted they would then bring enforcement proceedings and even then it would only ever apply to the original issue and not to your main business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

delahuntv wrote: »
    In a ruling by an bord pleanala in 2012 between Galway cc & Kilcolgan garden centre. Planning was not required for a cafe as it was not the main use of the premises and occupied less than 20% of the gross floor area and was "complimentary" to the main use.

Therefore there is no issue with sale of items that compliment your main business. And no issue in advertising / displaying the goods either.

In a worse case scenario, (and highly unlikely) you would initially be asked to withdraw the products from sale and if you persisted they would then bring enforcement proceedings and even then it would only ever apply to the original issue and not to your main business.

Very interesting and helpful thanks! I might just go with the flow and see what happens. Just have to cource the stuff now:)

Advertisement