Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The GAA ref! Why bother.

• 05-09-2015 10:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭

The GAA ref today must feel like the Gardai of the country overruled by a judge every time and leads to the most interesting of phrases. 50 previous convictions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Why bother indeed. Thankless task. They get little or no support from authorities, media and fans alike. It's disheartening to see nasty incidents and indisciplined games blamed on poor refereeing, so many are too quick to absolve players of their personal responsibility to control themselves. In any sport, the players have a responsibility to work with referees, and rugby sets an excellent example in that department. Even if a player is visibly unhappy with a refereeing decision they accept it and get on with the game. There is absolutely no reason the same can't be expected from GAA players. The problem is, undermining referees is just culturally accepted and ingrained in GAA. Luckily not to the same extent as soccer which is riddled with cheating and deception.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

They are all a bunch of whistleblowers! I've no sympathy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

They are all a bunch of whistleblowers! I've no sympathy

Usually wear all black too. F***ing emo refs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Refs should withdraw their services / go on strike until this is resolved to their satisfaction. Let's see how far the gaa gets without referees. It always amazes me why anyone would want to be one at any level. They get no backup whatsoever from the authorities.

Ye might say soccer is worse but unless there is clear video evidence that the ref made a mistake, no card is overturned. Gaa is the worst sporting organisation in the world when it comes to respect for referees imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

what will the wee Derry man think of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

World's most thankless job! You're dammed by one side if you do and dammed by the other side if you don't. People say the standard of reffing is bad but if they get absolutely no support then how can you expect the standard to be any better. Time for a video ref and for an end to the endless appeals processes imo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

All this "Respect the Ref" crap that gets thrown out by the powers that be,

I think its these lads that need to start respecting the refs and stand by them and their decisions.

A TMO has to be brought in for big decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Immediate Ordering Off Infractions (Red Cards)

1. Striking or attempting to strike with arm, elbow, hand, knee or head.
    2. Kicking or attempting to kick with minimal force or with force or causing injury.

They are the rules... Red Cards for all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Bit of a joke and totally undermines a ref when you can appeal an appeal of a decision and get off on a "technicality"... Decision wasn't even revoked which implies ref made correct call. Sets a nice precedent for all red card decisions now and appeals process... I know as a neutral who I'll be shouting for today.

Slippery slope when these appeals panels are going against a refs decision, totally undermines a referees power and decision.

Rant over! Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

All this "Respect the Ref" crap that gets thrown out by the powers that be,

I think its these lads that need to start respecting the refs and stand by them and their decisions.

A TMO has to be brought in for big decisions.

The thing about TMO, what does he get involved in - when the ref asks?

Any reason I can award this goal - TMO "where do I start" runners taking out all over the pitch, corner back and full forward 50 yards away are on the ground fighting. Player picked the ball off the ground. There were about 10 steps in the build up to the goal.

Referee be like, yea but it was some goal, I think I'll award it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Poor referees.
    Poor appeals board.
    Poor manners by players towards each other.
    GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Ace2007 wrote: »
    The thing about TMO, what does he get involved in - when the ref asks?

Any reason I can award this goal - TMO "where do I start" runners taking out all over the pitch, corner back and full forward 50 yards away are on the ground fighting. Player picked the ball off the ground. There were about 10 steps in the build up to the goal.

Referee be like, yea but it was some goal, I think I'll award it.

Penalty decisions anyway for a start,because there seems to be a big debate every time there is a penalty decision these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Refs should withdraw their services / go on strike until this is resolved to their satisfaction. Let's see how far the gaa gets without referees. It always amazes me why anyone would want to be one at any level. They get no backup whatsoever from the authorities.

Ye might say soccer is worse but unless there is clear video evidence that the ref made a mistake, no card is overturned. Gaa is the worst sporting organisation in the world when it comes to respect for referees imo.

Just had a chat with a current inter county football ref. he was disgusted with the decision to reverse the card. Undermines their job completely and sets a horrendous example to kids and any aspiring people who might like to become referees.

Even though they do get decisions wrong, I certainly wouldn't begrudge them if they withdrew their services after this episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Even though they do get decisions wrong, I certainly wouldn't begrudge them if they withdrew their services after this episode.

How about after the keane episode? Would you begrudge them after that? I presume if one was to look through your posting history you would have been equally vocal about that incident :)

Same goes for the rest of yiz.

Just had a chat with a current inter county football ref. he was disgusted with the decision to reverse the card. Undermines their job completely and sets a horrendous example to kids and any aspiring people who might like to become referees.

Of course it's because of this incident....

Only a few months back, everyone was saying Dublin should be split in 2 - no one on Kerry or Kilkenny being split in 2. Anti Dublin again.

There have been 6 appeals successful to date - again how many of these have had the same out of exposure to date? Probably none....

Ref's don't applied the rules of the game to the games, so in theory they invite a lot of the abuse onto themselves. Last Sunday - there should have been at least 3 Red and numerous other black cards, but the ref bottled making big decisions - the game was all but up when he gave the red card.

What about the ref's allowing a headlock, or a flying arm, off the ball fouling, runners being taken out of it, Mayo lads trying to con the ref with the "headbutt" - no repercussions. But of course it's this one incident that is ruining our game and not good for the kids.

I had a conversation with a GAA fan (non Dublin) recently who said they were tired of Dublin always winning like Kilkenny - and then i happen to point it out to them that Dublin where only in 2 All Ireland Finals in the last 10 years. Mayo have been in 3, Tyrone have been in 3. Kerry have been in 7.

In the end she admitted that she just didn't want Dublin to win - basically tried to cover up the hatred with every excuse in the book until it was proven against here. Anti Dublin folk will hate Dublin and will never change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

As someone who has reffed at under age level in both soccer and Gaelic,neither sport is perfect,plenty of 'sideline' refs!! You have to turn a deaf ear to during games.

But this decision has sent a message out to children old enough to be aware of what Connolly was caught clearly on camera doing last week as been acceptable!

ie behaving like a thug in a football jersey.

Also tells refs at all levels of GAA (if they didn't know it already) that when the pressure comes on the GAA high brass will undermine their every decision.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

There is one rule for Dublin and one for everyone else

But this decision has sent a message out to children old enough to be aware of what Connolly was caught clearly on camera doing last week as been acceptable!

It also tells the kids that what the Mayo lad did - dragging Connolly to the ground and putting him in a headlock is acceptable, but don't let that get in the way of your anti Dublin agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭goldenboots

What sickens me is when county boards officials lecture clubs and club players about respect for referees, the rules and the gaa disciplinary process, yet when it involves a county player in a big match, they do everything in their power to undermine the process and rules that they are meant to uphold.

It's Dublin this time, but all counties are the same.

Stinicker wrote: »
    There is one rule for Dublin and one for everyone else

Never knew Kevin Keane was a dub? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Things will never change while supporters of any particular team try to defend a ridiculous decision due to "it happened to others too", "it was worse in the X game", "such and such got off too".

Opposition from grassroots up is what changes structures and while that is missing, we're left with the current mess we have where something is only 'disgraceful' if it happens other counties.

Also, a bit of manning up by players and county boards is badly needed. Frivolous appeals make a joke if the whole process. It's understandable wanting to have your best players available but it should also be a given that they are to play by the rules. If they break those rules & get a red card, be a bloody man, accept it and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Shame on the Dublin County board for persuing this so much, they were bound to get off eventually.

The man was guilty, he got off on a technicality and that is just shameful to an amateur sport that they even considered appealing.

Refs should go on strike today all over the country, let's see how the GAA act then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Todays ref should throw the ball in, blow the whistle and black card Connolly..... problem solved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

I wonder if many of " the suits" who successfully argued the Conolly appeal last night ever played in or refereed GAA at any level ? The shameful and totally cynical way Dublin players swarmed the referee every time he penalized them last weekend is just bad mannered and ill disciplined. Indeed, why would anyone want to become a referee given the treatment they get from players, fans and indeed the GAA hierarchy itself who seems, by its decision making to support the well established view that certain teams, players and managers are untouchable and beyond the sanction of mere refereeing decisions! Not surprising the pro Conolly decision therefore - doubtful if it would have gone the same way had it been a player from one of the lesser footballing counties , and I mean no disrespect to said counties. Referees perhaps need TMO or second official assistance in these higher level encounters but unlikely to happen - much easier and " convenient" for the GAA to continue to let them hang for the sins of others !
    Hopefully, today's ref isn't influenced too much by what's happened over the past few days and calls this match without fear or favour ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

It's not just Dublin it's the GAA they have washed their hands of every tough decision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

The appeals system and the effect that has had on referees has ruined football.

There's too many "grey" areas.

An overhaul (new rulebook) is required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Just to says I hope Kinsella is allowed to referee the Final.

The best referee out there, streets ahead.

Brilliant game yesterday, calm and commanding.

Reffereed a brilliant AIF last year.

Puts all the others to shame IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

It always amused me that when you ask someone how many games a ref cost them they would have a list a mile long.

Yet ask them how many games a ref won them and very very few would even name one.

It is symbolic of our games where as fans we blame everything other then the fact our team on the day weren't good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It's a truly thankless task. One of the major problems is the speed of the modern game with the referee actually having to keep a focus on the play around the ball with all the other stuff going on off it. I'd be all for having a second referee like they do in international Rules. A TMO would have limited value in this sport as the nature of both hurling and football is that they are played at a fast pace... To refer every controversial decision you'd be turning the game into a stop start affair and therefore changing the dynamic of the game which won't be good either.

Also the players have a responsibility also as to how they conduct themselves which isn't always met near enough for my liking. people are way too fast to jump on the referee if there are not enough cards or certain incidents are missed or if it's a dirty game. The players should be looked at first and foremost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Ace2007 wrote: »
    It also tells the kids that what the Mayo lad did - dragging Connolly to the ground and putting him in a headlock is acceptable, but don't let that get in the way of your anti Dublin agenda.

Actually Connolly started that fight by pushing Keegan twice and throughout the incident was on top of Keegan so it was in no way self defence. As usual Brolly was talkin complete ****e yesterday.

I love the wY we re always calling for linesman and umpires to help refs but when they did their jobs perfectly in the Keane and Connolly cases they were completely undermined by incompetent blazers including the ivory tower judge who cleared Connolly.

harpsman wrote: »
    Actually Connolly started that fight by pushing Keegan twice and throughout the incident was on top of Keegan so it was in no way self defence. As usual Brolly was talkin complete ****e yesterday.

I love the wY we re always calling for linesman and umpires to help refs but when they did their jobs perfectly in the Keane and Connolly cases they were completely undermined by incompetent blazers including the ivory tower judge who cleared Connolly.

Most police forces around the world would consider an arm wrapped around the throat to be a life threatening situation that justifies the use of deadly force never mind a dig in the ribs :)

Advertisement