Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new jc reforms

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭MacGyver007

I have come across a Powerpoint on the ballots. Here it is in PDF; if you want the Powerpoint file, please PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭MacGyver007

ASTI have voted to reject JC proposals by a margin of 55-45. TUI have voted to accept by 69-31.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭History Queen

To be fair it is a mess but blaming it on the ASTI is ludicrous. It was a mess long before either union balloted their members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

That rant doesn't even answer the question posed. How does that help the parent?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

That rant doesn't even answer the question posed. How does that help the parent?

Well I think he got his stall set out in the title.

"English classes are a mess."

Just another teacher bashing set-up.

I'd doubt the quality of Teaching and learning has descended into "a mess" since last year. Life goes on, classes go on, teaching and learning goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

https://www.examinations.ie/?l=en&mc=ex&sc=sp

Hopefully not breaking any union directives but JCT has (at long, long last) released sample papers for the SEC examination.

Only flicked through them on phone but the presence of multiple choice questions on a higher level English paper is not what I expected at all. One or two other qs more challenging but limited space for answers, especially as it would appear they have to be written on the exam paper now instead of a script.

Its layout reminds me of a French or German paper in places. Reservations over rumoured attempts to dumb down the exam and, in turn, place a massive (ultimately total) emphasis on the school based assessments certainly wont be assuaged by these efforts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Jamfa

https://www.examinations.ie/?l=en&mc=ex&sc=sp

Hopefully not breaking any union directives but JCT has (at long, long last) released sample papers for the SEC examination.

Only flicked through them on phone but the presence of multiple choice questions on a higher level English paper is not what I expected at all. One or two other qs more challenging but limited space for answers, especially as it would appear they have to be written on the exam paper now instead of a script.

Its layout reminds me of a French or German paper in places. Reservations over rumoured attempts to dumb down the exam and, in turn, place a massive (ultimately total) emphasis on the school based assessments certainly wont be assuaged by these efforts...

The sample papers have been released by the SEC, JCT are just a support service like PDST. The final exam will be set, marked and reported by the SEC so we as teachers have little to do with it except prepare all students by following the syllabus & learning outcomes. The Assessment Task at Christmas of 3rd year will also be part of the final state exam result.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Alqua

https://www.examinations.ie/misc-doc/BI-EX-10094598.pdf

On what planet is this Higher Level? Ticking boxes..wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

No guarantee of a poetry or novel question either. They want us to do umpteen poems and at least three novels yet they may not come up on the exam paper. Some of the questions are awful. We have seen ally copied the failed England method with exams like this. A shambles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭annamarie2013

So this exam is worth 180 marks? What then is the CBA worth? Or is the 180 marks the entire grade now?

So this exam is worth 180 marks? What then is the CBA worth? Or is the 180 marks the entire grade now?

The CBAs are separate and have descriptors. The Assessment Task is 20 marks or 10% and marked along with the exam by SEC.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭annamarie2013

Sent PM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

I'm surprised at the lack of any essay questions.

A student going into 5th year Higher Level in the September following this exam would surely be in for a shock :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Wow. They are both exactly what I expected but also not what I would have wanted. Some ridiculously easy questions, a lot of material not tested (from what I know of the course, I'm not an English teacher) and very little relation to the senior cycle. Very 'project maths' in style tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Is this it then, are we stuck with this as the future for English at JC level. I would be very very worried if I was a parent with a child who had to sit that exam next year. They are taking a sledgehammer to the JC when only minor adjustments were needed

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wtd2008

No poetry or fiction questions? What about a Paper 1 style composition? It is so similar to the failed UK assessment model.

I was looking at a 'Romeo and Juliet' portfolio during the week. Act 3 Sc 1, the fight scene. Probably the most important scene in the play, the turning point etc. The required students' response was to draw match stick men pictures about it!
    I was showing it to my Leaving Certs and they thought I was having a laugh with them. As they pointed out, it is a difficult enough leap from Junior Cycle to Senior Cycle as it is.

Omnishambles !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

I thought Romeo and Juilet was Shakespearean Play?? Is 12th night on as well?

I was doubting myself there.

I am going by
    http://www.juniorcycle.ie/curriculum/subjects/english/english

and the syllabus for the next three years on
    http://curriculumonline.ie/getmedia/970b04d0-5102-497b-aa5f-ccb58e90c72d/FINAL_JC_English_Text_List_2017_2019_HON.pdf

As far as I know we can chose the text from the list.

An In Service would help of course.

wtd2008 wrote: »
    I was doubting myself there.

I am going by
    http://www.juniorcycle.ie/curriculum/subjects/english/english

and the syllabus for the next three years on
    http://curriculumonline.ie/getmedia/970b04d0-5102-497b-aa5f-ccb58e90c72d/FINAL_JC_English_Text_List_2017_2019_HON.pdf

As far as I know we can chose the text from the list.

An In Service would help of course.

There is inservice & support available at the moment. Are you in ASTI? All the materials usually go up on www.jct.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I'm a little shocked at the HL sample exam! The standard is very poor. Hard to believe that anyone would stand over that.

Thanks Jamfa, we are in a dual union school. I am TUI and no training yet, apart from the pathetic 4 hour excuse for an in-service two years ago.

wtd2008 wrote: »
    Thanks Jamfa, we are in a dual union school. I am TUI and no training yet, apart from the pathetic 4 hour excuse for an in-service two years ago.

You know you can have 10 hours off from class this year to plan etc. Have you considered contacting JCT with your concerns or looking for support/inservice? It's a crazy situation by both the DES & the unions but if we have concerns or questions we need to make both aware. We also should contact the SEC with concerns about the sample papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

Am I right in thinking (well remembering from that one inservice we had before the union directive) that students will just have one 2 hr exam at the end of 3rd Year and according to these Sample Papers its a bit of a lottery what comes up (one of the papers has drama and fiction , another has poetry and fiction ) so after studying two novels, a novel/fiction question might not come up. 16 poems done but no guarantee they'll have to answer on any poetry....? Higher Level are forced to do Shakespeare yet drama might not appear on Paper?

What am I missing??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Well I (teacher but not of english) along with some friends and parents of children read those sample papers last night over a glass of wine. Much hilarity ensued which to be honest is a terrible indication of the standard.

Have re-read them properly in the light of day I'm still horrified. There are three different questions that are multiple choice or matching worth 26 marks in total. So 14.4% of a HL JC paper is going for matching/multiple choice?! On top of that there are 10 more marks (so another 5.6% of the marks) are going for definitions which include words such as lumber, witness and legend.

In total 20% of that paper is going for material (multiple choice/matching/basic definitions) that are so incredibly basic that I'd be pretty sure young children could figure out.

That is disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭chases0102

Are English teachers availing of the 10 hours Planning time, as set out in the joint statement?

If so, how is this implemented? Is management approached, or is it the prerogative of management to timetable it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

chases0102 wrote: »
    Are English teachers availing of the 10 hours Planning time, as set out in the joint statement?

If so, how is this implemented? Is management approached, or is it the prerogative of management to timetable it?

ASTI no
    TUI yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭chases0102

Cheers for that.

As a TUI school, no provision has been made for planning time out of timetables. Presumably, this will be addressed in the forthcoming CPD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

All I can say is wow. I thought they said it wasn't about dumbing down standards. This, in no way, prepares students for LC HL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

Only glanced through it-its definitely easier.

I have some concerns about the New JC
    Primary schools still turning out students who can't write a paragraph, so you can spout all the Learning outcomes you like-literacy a main problem. Most LO are useless when faced with pupils whose basic literacy is rock bottom
    The Oral element is a good addition as English is mainly a spoken language
    The Film element is not a good addition -because it just encourages less reading

Advertisement