Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Function

• 05-09-2015 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

I cant get these 4 questions.
    For 2 of them I am nearly there just cant get passed the last part. If someone has knowledge in this topic and would to like to share. Much appreciated.

Q3. (Iii)
    I dont have a clue what do after deriving the second part.

Q7. I get the answer but I have no idea how to get -1, 2, 0.
    As thats the value of dy dx for the 3 parts of that qs.
    I input in the calculator and get completely something else. A long decimal.

Q9. Same story. I derived it and everything but cant seem to get an answer after substituting pie over 6

Q11. I have no clue whats so ever.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 harmonisch

For Q3 part(iii) you differentiated the -cos(θ/4) part incorrectly

For Qs 7 and 9 your calculator needs to be in radian mode instead of degree mode.

For Q11 you differentiate as normal and then use 2 trig identities to get the answer into the form it is looking for. You will be subbing out a cos2x for cos^2(x) - sin^2(x) and subbing out the cos^2(x) for 1-sin^2(x) after that you just tidy it up and it is finished

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

I am still having troubles with Q3 part (iii)
    I get how I differentiated it wrong, its suppsed to be cos4(Power-1)thehta, but I cant progress further.

Q9, I get 2(sinx+1).cosx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

Q3 (iii)

Don't give the 4 a negative power, easier to differentiate as is...the cos of theta/4 differentiates to minus sin theta/4 times the differentiate of theta/4...which is a quarter (the chain rule).

unnamed.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

Q11

unnamed1.png

Advertisement