Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need to repeat full LC?

• 05-09-2015 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am struggling to get a clear answer here and hoping someone can give me the answer.

I'll be applying for Grad entry and mature entry for Physio next year to UCD, RCSI, UL. I did my LC in 2004 and didn't do great. I have been looking at the entry requirements and they all state I need a HB3 in a lab science and in another HB3 in another subject.

My question is, do a I need to repeat the full LC again to get the requirements I need? Or can I just repeat the 2/3 Higher level subjects as an external candidate and combine these with my LC results from 2004. If I could, it mean I wouldn't have to resit Irish, English, French, which I have already have the requirements.

Thanks for your help,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Fiona G

You might get more responses in the Leaving Cert forum

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

moving it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,325 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Just do the subjects you need to tick the boxes.

endacl wrote: »
    Just do the subjects you need to tick the boxes.

Does it matter if I carry Irish, English and French from 2004 then do Maths/Bio/Chemistry next June?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hubluh

You can combine grades to meet entry requirements but not for points requirements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,325 ✭✭✭✭endacl

GeneralC wrote: »
    Does it matter if I carry Irish, English and French from 2004 then do Maths/Bio/Chemistry next June?

Not at all. Subjects are only combined from one sitting when calculating CAO points for undergrad entry. Which, in the dim and distant past, used not to be that case. You could have theoretically done a subject a year over six years and stacked up all the grades!

endacl wrote: »
    Not at all. Subjects are only combined from one sitting when calculating CAO points for undergrad entry. Which, in the dim and distant past, used not to be that case. You could have theoretically done a subject a year over six years and stacked up all the grades!

Is it the same for Grad Med/Physio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Is it the same for Grad Med/Physio?

What are the grad entry/mature entry requirements aside from the lab sciences through the regular CAO route?

if you going for grad entry, what is your degree in?

What are the grad entry/mature entry requirements aside from the lab sciences through the regular CAO route?

if you going for grad entry, what is your degree in?

Media, but did not obtain degree requirements hence why I am going down the route of mature entry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,712 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

any back doors into this area? the leaving really is overrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    any back doors into this area? the leaving really is overrated.

Why? It could be the easiest way of getting the science subject requirement and to be honest if you struggle to get a B in a Leaving Cert subject how are you going to cope with the material at degree level?

Why? It could be the easiest way of getting the science subject requirement and to be honest if you struggle to get a B in a Leaving Cert subject how are you going to cope with the material at degree level?

ah ive a lot of issues with our education system. it simply doesnt work for many. education is now mainly a business in ireland. plenty of people capable of succeeding in careers but struggle in our education system. it just may take them a little longer to understand and complete certain tasks compared to others within our education system. education is not a competition, its an amazing privilege and everybody should be given equal access to it. op may have to find a backdoor into their chosen career in order to complete it if its not possible to gain access via normal means. our education system is mainly a memory test as well. a lot of things need to be changed with it but many hings probably wont. good to hear about the continuous assessment changes at second level though.

I was considering taking a Pre-Uni Science course and taking Maths/Bio/Physics/Chemistry HL as an external candidate for the LC. But the Uni's specify you need Irish, English and a foreign language as well and I didn't want to be repeating these again!

My LC results from 2004 has my fathers surname and I have been using my mothers surname ever since, should this be a problem if my results next year have a different surname?

My LC results from 2004 has my fathers surname and I have been using my mothers surname ever since, should this be a problem if my results next year have a different surname?

i couldnt imagine so as i would have thought you have a unique identifying number when dealing with the cao system which has already been issued to you. could be wrong though

As a mature student with a mediocre degree, do you guys think I should just repeat the full LC? or stick to my original plan of the PLC + sitting 2/3 subjects as an external candidate?

I just don't want the whole surname issue to be a total fiasco and prevent me from doing something I want to do. Plus would the full LC stand to be more so than a PLC course?

As a mature student with a mediocre degree, do you guys think I should just repeat the full LC? or stick to my original plan of the PLC + sitting 2/3 subjects as an external candidate?

I just don't want the whole surname issue to be a total fiasco and prevent me from doing something I want to do. Plus would the full LC stand to be more so than a PLC course?

apologies, didnt realise you already had a degree. can you do a related post grad in your preferred career. i think its time to move on from the leaving to be honest. i repeated the leaving. wasnt really worth it. a lot of stress for very little return. as a mature student, you have better options

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm sure if you contact the SEC and satisfy them as to your identity they can issue a certificate with the correct (or both) surnames on it.

apologies, didnt realise you already had a degree. can you do a related post grad in your preferred career. i think its time to move on from the leaving to be honest. i repeated the leaving. wasnt really worth it. a lot of stress for very little return. as a mature student, you have better options

I have a few options. There is a postgrad option, but limited places and only one Uni in Ireland offer it. Second option, repeat LC and try obtain a place the old fashioned way. Third option, do a Pre-Uni Science course, take 2/3 subjects in the LC to gain grad entry with my existing degree to go a place on an undergrad course.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    I'm sure if you contact the SEC and satisfy them as to your identity they can issue a certificate with the correct (or both) surnames on it.

I have the original copy of the LC results, but no way other identification with my fathers surname on it. All my ID has my mothers name on it from passport, birth cert to actual degree transcript.

I have the original copy of the LC results, but no way other identification with my fathers surname on it. All my ID has my mothers name on it from passport, birth cert to actual degree transcript.

The school you went to could confirm, if needed, that that was the surname you were entered under - if the SEC even needed that level of proof.

I have a few options. There is a postgrad option, but limited places and only one Uni in Ireland offer it. Second option, repeat LC and try obtain a place the old fashioned way. Third option, do a Pre-Uni Science course, take 2/3 subjects in the LC to gain grad entry with my existing degree to go a place on an undergrad course.

the pre-uni option sounds good to me. it might give you a good base before heading into uni. i really wouldnt like to be going back through the leaving again even though im long finished with it. ive been trying to change my career direction last couple of years. it hasnt worked out as well as i hoped for a couple of reasons but im glad i still tried the post grad direction. it has been an interesting couple of years. could you gain entrance to the post grad via the pre-uni course alone? i really couldnt face lc stuff ever again.

spurious wrote: »
    The school you went to could confirm, if needed, that that was the surname you were entered under - if the SEC even needed that level of proof.

I really hope this won't be a case of having to retake a full leaving cert because of name issue

I really hope this won't be a case of having to retake a full leaving cert because of name issue

The name will not be an issue. The SEC have taken PPS numbers for years. They will know who you are.

do the department of education give a unique number to everybody when doing state exams? im fairly sure they did when i was doing state exams, i.e. junior and leaving. fairly sure this number was unique and remained for life. could be wrong though. if im right, theres your identifier.

do the department of education give a unique number to everybody when doing state exams? im fairly sure they did when i was doing state exams, i.e. junior and leaving. fairly sure this number was unique and remained for life. could be wrong though. if im right, theres your identifier.

I think that ID number is on my results? it's the changing of the names that could be a problem

I think that ID number is on my results? it's the changing of the names that could be a problem

I doubt it will be a problem if you can show you are the 'old' person and now using a different surname. The number on your results is not the identifying number. It is unlikely to be more than 6 digits and is just used for the exam. They will have another number assigned to you and it will be there for all your exams. They will know who you are.

Thanks everyone for the help, appreciate it.

You know if I was doing the LC again as an external candidate, how would I go about passing the experiments?

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the help, appreciate it.

You know if I was doing the LC again as an external candidate, how would I go about passing the experiments?

You would have to attend one of the weekends run by places like Maynooth University where they would be covered.

This is an old page about them, but afaik they still do them.

Advertisement