Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Spoilers** Series 9, Episode 1 - "The Magician's Apprentice"

• 05-09-2015 1:41pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Another year, another series, another episode post by yours truly ;) so does anyone else feel like Dr. Who has become a cosy inevitability of TV? I don't mean that in a bad way or anything, or that I'm not excited about a new series, but I feel complacent around this show, that when all else fails you can at least rely on Dr. Who to keep the TV motor running; I mean, holy sh*t it's series 9 of the relaunch - wowsers!

It's not perfect, and certainly there seems to be a swell of folk who can't wait to see the back of Mr. Moffat, but I've seen shows with a far greater quality-see-saw than Dr. Who ever demonstrates. It still feels like a show unafraid to think big.

Anyway, a trailer has popped up for the first episode proper: I'll replace it with a HD version when it appears.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Oh that's interesting. It looks like maybe the Mistress will be in, for those who are interested in pro wrestling, a tweener role.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

For anyone who still likes watching Dr. Who as it broadcasts, it's on at 7:40pm on Saturday 19th :)

Also, a prologue for the first episode has been released: it's as enigmatic as hell, that's for sure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0326qkd

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Does all the chat for Doctor Who happen in this area rather than in the sort of general TV area?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Does all the chat for Doctor Who happen in this area rather than in the sort of general TV area?
    Yup, pretty much; there are usually threads for each episode, ala other forums for specific TV shows, so that's where most of the chat takes place afaik :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 therabbittest

pixelburp wrote: »
    For anyone who still likes watching Dr. Who as it broadcasts, it's on at 7:40pm on Saturday 19th :)

I think Doctor Who is the only non-sport broadcast that I always try to watch as it goes out. It just feels right that way, on a Saturday night

I'm the same, I don't like catching it post broadcast. It's my last link to the old world of television.

I've gotten into the habit of recording it and enjoying it on Sunday morning with a nice cuppa. Only problem is the internet can quite often ruin an episode so I've to stay away from it until I've watched. Although a few hours isn't that hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Hey folks, just popped in to the thread to say that the prologue and the Doctor's Meditation are available free to download/watch on Xbox 360, Xbox One, Windows 10 and Windows Phone.

Just go in to the Film & TV app on Win10, Win8.1 and Xbox One look for Doctor Who Series 9 and there are a few free videos to download / watch

On 360 just go into the Xbox Video app and look for Doctor Who Series 9 and the same stuff will be there

ooo tonight's the night

• Advertisement

I know, I am excite :)

Very excited:

tumblr_inline_nuowinuUOM1r73yxf_500.gif

363.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Won't get to watch it live tonight will have to watch it late when I get home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,831 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Really enjoyed it.

Well that was fairly amazeballs, although I'd say a lot of what happened will be reversed.

oooooo that was brilliant loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

absolutely fantastic episode! really enjoyed it! can't wait for next week!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Great episode. It was such a risk to give a nod to almost the greatest story made.But they pulled it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

I presume missy and clara teleported into the tardis, but which one is driving?

Both are capable of driving it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

It took a while to gather pace, but a better start than last season.
    I had recommended Dr. Who to two collegues, albeit I'm unsure if this was the ideal episode for them to start. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Great episode, not the best ever, but a fantastic start to the series.

I do feel conflicted on the character of Missy though. She's brilliant, such a great actress and the dialog is great, but she just doesn't feel like she is the Master. I'm still not 100% convinced she is the actual Master and not someone else.

I liked that.

I do enjoy the darker themes they seem to have been going with since Capaldi came on board. Think he and Coleman are better able to carry them than Smith/Gillen were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭SueBoom

Now that's how you do Who. Loved every minute!

Wow, that was an incredibly strong opening episode, and any thoughts that Series 9 might be a little lighter in tone got immediately put to bed: arguably that was a dark, complex story and we are so far from the days of farting aliens and creatures made of fat it's like a different show.

And despite the grim tone, we got the frankly absurd and brilliant image of the 12th Doctor riding into a medieval battle on a tank, playing an electric guitar. Nice :D Stuff like that is why I love Doctor Who. I'm pretty sure Capaldi was actually playing that guitar too.

I dunno about anyone who were keeping a keen on eye on spoilers and set reports, but the presence of Davros completely took me by surprise and that's such a nice feeling in this day and age of social-media saturation. Funny though, when Capaldi quipped about the battlefield having a mix of technologies, my brain instantly thought of Genesis of the Daleks. Even that first scene was very reminiscent of Genesis' own. And has Season 9 already achieved the creepiest image of the run with those 'Hand Mines'? Blergh.

As for the notion of The Master being the Doctor's closest friend, it kinda works when you think about it: only a friend would continually hold out hope of redemption and the Doctor strives, no matter how often the Master lets him down. I also have to say that Michelle Gomez is warming to me; still a touch too 'whacky' for my liking, but things like her deadpan reaction to spotting the 'anachronism'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

pixelburp wrote:
    I'm pretty sure Capaldi was actually playing that guitar too.

I'm pretty sure he was in a band with Craig Ferguson but I don't know what instrument he played.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Wow, that was an incredibly strong opening episode, and any thoughts that Series 9 might be a little lighter in tone got immediately put to bed: arguably that was a dark, complex story and we are so far from the days of farting aliens and creatures made of fat it's like a different show.

I think the writing is much better too, tighter, less obvious.

I only have Matt Smith era to compare it to but there are so many subtle moments, which I suppose comes from the acting too, where you pick up on the deeper emotional stuff. Clara and The Doctor still have a very complicated relationship but it's not a case of them having to spell it out in long expository conversations. In one brief scene we got to see Clara confront The Doctor about Missy not being dead, him acknowledge it and then Clara move past it because her concern for him was more important than her anger. And what was that scene, like 1 minute long, a couple of brief lines from both? Just really great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Great episode dark themes and been funny I wonder will the questions and (possible) actions be felt throughout the series.

1. The dilemma if you met a child in the past who needed you help but you knew they be eveil would you help leave them alone or kill them
    2. Who is Missy as another poster said is she really the master
    3. How did Missy survive

• Advertisement

hey missy you so fine you so fine you blow my mind ... HEY MISSY!

Advertisement