Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Spoilers** Series 9, Episode 1 - "The Magician's Apprentice"

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 therabbittest

Really good stuff last night. Can't wait for the rest of the series

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I really loved it, although I'm not sure how it would go down with a casual viewer. We had a friend over and I was providing the cliff notes for her. :)

I liked the ambiguity as to whether The Master or Clara was his best friend. Even in the last scene, who is he saving? I totally buy Missy as the Master. Definitely as a regeneration of the Simm-Master at the very least.

I have a feeling she's behind the whole thing, that she's trying to set the Doctor up to turn his back on his compassionate streak. Make him more like her. That's what all their fights have been about lately. They each want the other to be more like themselves. That, and she died awful easy.

Lots of questions. How did the Doctor end up on Skaro in the first place? Why did Davros only remember now?

The only bit that bothered me was when Missy evaporated the two UNIT agents in the square, and all their colleagues go back to pacing around nonchalantly. They felt a bit like NPCs in a computer game. Even a tiny bit of reaction from the guy bringing the laptop over would have made it better.

Anyway, roll on next week.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Das Kitty wrote: »

Lots of questions. How did the Doctor end up on Skaro in the first place? Why did Davros only remember now?

I assumed that the Doctor finding young Davros was something that only happened in the present, if you know what I mean? Davros never remembered before because it hadn't actually happened before.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I assumed that the Doctor finding young Davros was something that only happened in the present, if you know what I mean? Davros never remembered before because it hadn't actually happened before.

Yeah, I suppose it depends on which theory of time travel they're using this time. The above would rely on multiverse. But if that's the case, killing young Davros would only spur a new universe, one where Clara may never have even existed.

Then again, why am I thinking Doctor Who will stick to only one theory per episode? :pac:

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Yeah, I suppose it depends on which theory of time travel they're using this time. The above would rely on multiverse. But if that's the case, killing young Davros would only spur a new universe, one where Clara may never have even existed.

Then again, why am I thinking Doctor Who will stick to only one theory per episode? :pac:

Yeah, sometimes it's best just not to think too much about these things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I really enjoyed it, I knew he was going to link it to one of my favourite classic episodes once the kid said his name. Hopefully its not just sentimentality.

The two died too easily, I haven't read any notes on casting or anything. I doubt either are dead but it would be a nice change to have a simple non moany death. Kind of like Spooks, where randomly, out of nowhere, someone would pass away and be done with.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it, I knew he was going to link it to one of my favourite classic episodes once the kid said his name. Hopefully its not just sentimentality.

The two died too easily, I haven't read any notes on casting or anything. I doubt either are dead but it would be a nice change to have a simple non moany death. Kind of like Spooks, where randomly, out of nowhere, someone would pass away and be done with.

Well based purely on the trailer for this series it's pretty certain what has happened. I'll say more. ;)

Well based purely on the trailer for this series it's pretty certain what has happened. I'll say more. ;)

I haven't seen any trailers, work and family have taken most of my time recently so the first thing I saw was the episode. I realise my hopes are in vain and I expect them to be spoiled relatively soon. Just would have been more interesting. It was nice not to have any prior warning going into an episode though.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I haven't seen any trailers, work and family have taken most of my time recently so the first thing I saw was the episode. I realise my hopes are in vain and I expect them to be spoiled relatively soon. Just would have been more interesting. It was nice not to have any prior warning going into an episode though.

Yeah it's annoying when you know when cast members are or aren't leaving. It takes a lot of the suspense out of the cliffhangers in some episodes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This whole thing of 'Is it really the Master?' came up last year in the finale and I don't understand it: is it just that people don't like Missy, or is there a genuine theory that it's some sort of clone / copy? Honestly it makes no kind of sense, narrative or otherwise, to have Missy as some form of duplicate so not sure why people are hopping onboard that particular train of thought.

• Advertisement

Sure the last time the daleks were zapping people they ended up transported. In the earth with the tvs and the killer game shows. Or maybe that wasnt the daleks zapping them and they were sent TO the daleks ... anyway i say there will be an aul timeline rewrite!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Lads, ladies ...after half century of Who, why is anybody still searching for a logical and realistic explanation. It's a Timey Wimey thing (and deaths often have more to do with contractual obligations and lucrative job offers than eh....death rays).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭dball

forgot to record it, anyone know where I could get to see this this week
    please - Must see before sat evening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

dball wrote: »
    forgot to record it, anyone know where I could get to see this this week
    please - Must see before sat evening

Isn't there usually a repeat during the week?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

BBC3 normally repeat it on a Friday I think

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Yup 19.15 this Friday night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The Master wrote: »
    Yup 19.15 this Friday night

Handy even for those of us who saw it. It was quite a dense episode that'll hold up to a second viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I have just watched the episode again and I am wondering what does Davros remember is it the Doctor leaving him when he found out his name or is it the Doctor trying to kill him at the end. I know trying to make sense of a Doctor Who episode is pointless how would he have gotten back after Clara and Missy 'died' (they used there hand wrist time things* to leave the area is my guess)

*Couldn't remember there names

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

If The Doctor actually kills young Davros I'm guessing Peter Capaldi is out of a job... Which former version of himself would he de-generate to if he had never encountered the Daleks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

(they used there hand wrist time things* to leave the area is my guess)

*Couldn't remember there names

Vortex Manipulator ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

I liked it a lot. My only gripe is the whole The Doctor is going to die again angle. I feel this been over done and brought down Matt Smith run for me. It the first one in a new run and we know Peter not leaving the show any-time soon, so piss off with this his going to die stuff and Let him live!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I liked it, although I felt the ending was rushed.

Maybe the days of the Valeyard are getting closer....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

If The Doctor actually kills young Davros I'm guessing Peter Capaldi is out of a job... Which former version of himself would he de-generate to if he had never encountered the Daleks?
    The only regeneration that any Dalek triggered was the change from 10 to 10.1 in Journey's end.

Based on Tennants experience on Mars though, time is quite robust. If he saved Davros, someone else would have created the daleks, leaving him to die but he survives anyway, Davros creates them.

Happens one way or another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

When the kid said his name was Davros I made some sort of exclamation. My wife and kids asked "who's Davros again?" When I said he created the Daleks my 12 year old daughter said "then he has to save him or he'll create a paradox"! I was so proud :D

Great opening episode.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Orion wrote: »
    When the kid said his name was Davros I made some sort of exclamation. My wife and kids asked "who's Davros again?" When I said he created the Daleks my 12 year old daughter said "then he has to save him or he'll create a paradox"! I was so proud :D

Great opening episode.

Or does he! :D It is Doctor Who, so anything's possible: the concept of the Fixed Moment has been established already (and I think has remained fairly inflexible compared with other, more fluid parts of Who mythology).

Even if Davros was prevented from ever inventing the Daleks, perhaps they still come to be by some other fashion ... maybe by cribbing The Terminator and having a dead Dalek travel back in time to the Kaled / Thal War & be discovered by an enterprising scientist called... I dunno, Favros or something :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Overall, some interesting moments but the whole "party" scene just dragged for me.

Missy got the best lines and Gomez knocked them out of the park. The "How's your boyfriend? Still tremendously dead, I expect" is one of my new favourite TV moments.

Advertisement