Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap website to get i5 and a motherboard?

Options
  • 05-09-2015 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hello all, as you guys have probably known, hwvs is going outta business. I'm am in need of a new i5 processor and was wondering if you guys know any cheap ( hwvs gave me i5 4460 + MSI motherboard ATX for 250 ) websites to buy my parts..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Mindfactory is pretty cheap, shipping isn't though

Try computer universe either.

What was wrong with the 8320E?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Hunt3R

Mindfactory is pretty cheap, shipping isn't though

Try computer universe either.

What was wrong with the 8320E?

Nothing, used it for a family computer.. Now I have enough for an i5 :D

Also, is getting 4th gen i5 a good choice when 6th gen is coming very soon?

Not much difference between 4th and 5th except DDR4.

Not much difference between 4th and 5th except DDR4.

Ddr4 ram? And isn't skylake 6th gen?
    I thought haswell is 4th broadwell is 5th gen, skylake is 6th gen..

Same chipset? I thought they were both 4th. Irrelevant anyways, Haswell->Skylake the only difference worth talking about is DDR4. You've cheaper and more varied motherboards with Haswell at the minute.

• Advertisement

Same chipset? I thought they were both 4th. Irrelevant anyways, Haswell->Skylake the only difference worth talking about is DDR4. You've cheaper and more varied motherboards with Haswell at the minute.

Hmm.. So yea, I will get 4460.. Odd.. Haven't seen Intel 5xxx desktop processors..

Oh and, I am looking for motherboard with 2 PCI x16 slots so I can xfire my 290 when it starts to get slow.. Is that a good idea? I won't be crossfire for another 3 years.. At least..

AFAIK there's only a few Broadwell ones anyways. It's easier to just upgrade the GPU, saves on power, heat and motherboard costs

One more question, I can snag up a used i5 2500 or the 2500s for 60 or 50 euro used from my local pc shop.. i am tempted to get cuz its cheap.. i know the socket is a dead end but isnt 1550 a dead end too? Should I get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not if you're coming from an 8320, wouldn't be any point apart from lower power usage, though if you're building a budget machine or upgrading from very old hardware, the 2500 is still an excellent processor and still as fast as the 8320 in a lot of games. It's still generally faster than any other processor at the €100-120 price point so if you're getting it for €50 or €60 then absolutely it's a fantastic deal. The 2500S is clocked lower than the regular 2500 but it's still good.

• Advertisement

Not if you're coming from an 8320, wouldn't be any point apart from lower power usage, though if you're building a budget machine or upgrading from very old hardware, the 2500 is still an excellent processor and still as fast as the 8320 in a lot of games. It's still generally faster than any other processor at the €100-120 price point so if you're getting it for €50 or €60 then absolutely it's a fantastic deal. The 2500S is clocked lower than the regular 2500 but it's still good.

Its actually 8320E, the gaming performance of it was good enough ( 40 fps GTA online, everything ultra) pared with r9 290.. It was good but is is better than 2500s... Or on the other hand, I can get 4460 + mobo for 250.. I would potentially save 150 euros if I get the 2500/s.. So 2500s is just under clocked 2500? And is it overclock able ( I know only K editions are ocable but this is a rather old CPU )

Advertisement