Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving over to Android from iPhone!

• 05-09-2015 3:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

I have the iPhone 6 (64GB + Unlocked) and am very happy with it, maybe too happy in that I mind it alot. I am going traveling next month to SE Asia and am currently debating whether or not to take the iPhone with me as theft would be a huge concern. It is also quite uncomfortable in my pocket and I fear that it would be stolen or I might lose it out of my shorts etc. Last year on my travels I lost a phone out of my shorts and it was a €15 Samsung Talk & Text phone and was the second time I left a phone behind me in Asia, the first time I left my trusty Nokia in a Taxi at Bangkok and this was what prompted me to go for the iPhone that time.

So Android Aficionados :) I have decided to make the switch to Android it may only be temporary but if I like the OS I might even move permanently when my contract is up and I'm due a renewal.

After alot of looking around yesterday in the Carphone Warehouse, Meteor Stores etc. I am almost settled on the Samsing Galaxy Core Prime, it is a nice phone I think, stylish and afaik comes with Dual-Sim Capability on certain models. Unfortunately all are sim-locked here so of no use so I will have to buy online.

I would need to transfer my contacts from the iPhone to the new Android, my sister recently moved from Android to iOS so I was able to port them across using a piece of Wondershare software I have. So I should be able to manage that.

I have never used Android persay as all my Smart Phones were iPhones since I ditched Nokia back in 2009. I think DropBox works similar to iCloud in that it backs up your pics, vids and contacts etc. to the cloud. Is this correct?

Essentially the Samsung Galaxy Core Prime is going to be my travel phone and spare smart phone for when I return after. I am budgeting around €120 for it, so I'd like to hear peoples opinions of it and to recommend other phones also :)

Lets not turn this into an Apple V Android debate, both have their merits and equal drawbacks but everything I have seen over the last while is that Android have really raised the bar and it is just personal preference, a friend said I should just buy an unlocked second hand iPhone 4s or 5 for the trip, that way if it was stolen etc, I wouldn't be out of pocket too much, but I am using this as an excuse to also dip my toes in Android and experiment also.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Wise choice.

If I were in your position, I'd order a Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 - and you wouldn't notice much difference in performance

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Contacts on android are generally backed up with your gmail account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

I'd go for the Moto G 3rd generation personally, basically a pure stock Android phone, plus compared to the Core it has a better cameras, bigger battery and a better display

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

skodacb wrote: »
    I'd go for the Moto G 3rd generation personally, basically a pure stock Android phone, plus compared to the Core it has a better cameras, bigger battery and a better display

It looks like a nice phone but is too expensive for what I'm after, my budget is €100 ideally €120 MAX. Its a phone I'll use for a few weeks and hopefully not lose it or have it stolen, then into a drawer gathering dust until I go abroad whenever that might be, 12months + anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Stinicker wrote: »
    It looks like a nice phone but is too expensive for what I'm after, my budget is €100 ideally €120 MAX. Its a phone I'll use for a few weeks and hopefully not lose it or have it stolen, then into a drawer gathering dust until I go abroad whenever that might be, 12months + anyway.

You've mentioned the galaxy core prime already. I have one a few weeks and I can't fault it at that pricepoint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Your may end up selling the iPhone ;)

Even though you're only dabbling in android, it's going to be highly unlikely a device for €100-150 will compare to a €700-800 iPhone. You get what you pay for. There aren't many devices under €200 worth getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Basil3 wrote: »
    Even though you're only dabbling in android, it's going to be highly unlikely a device for €100-150 will compare to a €700-800 iPhone. You get what you pay for. There aren't many devices under €200 worth getting.
    I don't think he is expecting a sub 200 euro device to compare with a 600 device.
    The Galaxy Core prime is ideal for what the OP is after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I had my iphone getting a replacement battery, got a €29 Nokia Lumia from CPWH to see me through a week or so. It certainly wasn't amazing but did the basics and was better than I expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

You can pick up a second hand first generation Moto G on adverts for around €100. Runs pretty much stock android lollipop so would give you a much better idea than a Samsung phone. If you're worried the battery might be knocked replacement one a cheap and easy to fit. I had one my self as my first Android phone and couldn't fault it for the money. I have an opo now and keep the Moto G as a spare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-XIAOMI-REDMI-NOTE-2-FDD-4G-LTE-Mobile-phone-MTK-X10-2-0Ghz-Octa-Core/342812_32436852859.html

16gb version for €154.About €25 more for the 32gb.Make sure it's the right version as one is for China only and the other is the international version.For the price it's got great specs.

zerks wrote: »
    http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-XIAOMI-REDMI-NOTE-2-FDD-4G-LTE-Mobile-phone-MTK-X10-2-0Ghz-Octa-Core/342812_32436852859.html

16gb version for €154.About €25 more for the 32gb.Make sure it's the right version as one is for China only and the other is the international version.For the price it's got great specs.
    Which one of these is EU? FDD or GSM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Which one of these is EU? FDD or GSM?

FDD,I think it's down the page that I linked to.Only white available in 32gb.

zerks wrote: »
    FDD,I think it's down the page that I linked to.Only white available in 32gb.
    Cheers

Advertisement