Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi Graiguenamanagh

• 05-09-2015 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

Rumour down in Graig is that Aldi have bought the old Cullen steel yard and buildings will seek planning in the coming weeks,
    Anyone on here hear the same?
    Will this make or break Graig if it happens personally I think it will keep people in the town to shop, a lot of house holds travel to shop in
    New Ross....... 20mins Tesco, aldi, lidl
    Thomastown... 20mins lidl
    Kilkenny.........30mins
    Carlow...........35mins
    Waterford.......40mins
    http://www.daft.ie/commercial/graiguenamanagh-kilkenny-kilkenny/232732/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭road_high

linny wrote: »
    Rumour down in Graig is that Aldi have bought the old Cullen steel yard and buildings will seek planning in the coming weeks,
    Anyone on here hear the same?
    Will this make or break Graig if it happens personally I think it will keep people in the town to shop, a lot of house holds travel to shop in
    New Ross....... 20mins Tesco, aldi, lidl
    Thomastown... 20mins lidl
    Kilkenny.........30mins
    Carlow...........35mins
    Waterford.......40mins
    http://www.daft.ie/commercial/graiguenamanagh-kilkenny-kilkenny/232732/

More likely keep business on the town albeit to foreign owners. That hinterland is pretty rural and most locals probably go to the bigger towns to shop anyhow. Will hit the local Super valu though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

I didn't realise Cullens steel was gone, I remember when it was grain stores and then part of the creamery before that.
    I always felt Graigue was a bit isolated, but it always seems to have a buzz about the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Firstly I really do not understand this bee in the bonnet about foreign owners when Aldi or Lidl is mentioned, think before you leap, where do they buy a lot of their produce from Irish businesses, okay some may be in the north but it is out Island, it may be worth doing a look at the amount of produce Musgraves buy from Irish suppliers. Suddenly the people of Graig are going shopping at other towns, Aldi will bring choice, like it or not, take a look at Aldi Callan and see the people who now shop in our town.
    Now the other night well late afternoon I happened to be standing in mill St talking to a friend when a man in a rather new Mercedes Sports coupe pulled up and asked the way to of all places Graiguenamanagh, in a dreadful hurry, he was from Manchester had a logo on his shirt UKAP or similar, he could be something to do with Aldi, the car was a Brit registration, Foxy the sly detective eh

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Aldiseekers

road_high wrote: »
    More likely keep business on the town albeit to foreign owners. That hinterland is pretty rural and most locals probably go to the bigger towns to shop anyhow. Will hit the local Super valu though.

Can confirm that Aldi is in the process of graignamanagh project and will hope to be open summer 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Haydenpatleo

Can confirm that Aldi is in the process of graignamanagh project and will hope to be open summer 2016

Is this happening or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

Is this happening or not.

Planning has finally been lodged with Kilkenny county council

I see this has been appealed to ABP...now I wonder who that might be?

I see this has been appealed to ABP...now I wonder who that might be?[/QU

RGDATA and the local super valu owner...
    and on another note there finally going to refurbish the super valu in the town and add a car park and new entrance. I wonder did Aldi give them a fright
    http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/248151.htm

I see this has been appealed to ABP...now I wonder who that might be?[/QU

RGDATA and the local super valu owner...
    and on another note there finally going to refurbish the super valu in the town and add a car park and new entrance. I wonder did Aldi give them a fright
    http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/248151.htm

They object in almost all cases where Aldi or Lidl want to set up and they are close by. It's an abuse of the planning system and very irritating- they stopped Tesco from opening a store in Callan before also. Same craic, local SV/RGDATA objection was upheld- end result- less choice for locals.

hopefully the right decision will be made, and aldi will be given the go ahead, to build on the town

• Advertisement

hopefully the right decision will be made, and aldi will be given the go ahead, to build on the town

I wouldn't bank on it...they'll argue it's a small town etc and there's options in New Ross or Bagenalstown.
    I've read there's a similar case up in Dunshauglin and the local SV blocked them.
    This is blatant abuse of the planning laws to protect existing business to near monopolies. Was similar in Kilkenny with a bloody coffee shop...doesn't auger well or appeal to future developers with potentially bigger plans

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They object in almost all cases where Aldi or Lidl want to set up and they are close by. It's an abuse of the planning system and very irritating- they stopped Tesco from opening a store in Callan before also. Same craic, local SV/RGDATA objection was upheld- end result- less choice for locals.

They objected to Aldi in Callan too, but were unsuccessful. Imho no harm about Tesco.

Today is decision day for Aldi in Graiguenamanagh, hopefully answer will be available later on fingers crossed

ALDI UPDATE:

I have just spoken with An Bord Pleanala who have confirmed to me that the decision regarding planning permission for Aldi in Graig has been deferred until further notice. There is no date indicated as to when the decision will be now made. The reason for the delay is partly due to 60% of the board of An Bord Pleanala either retiring or resigning recently and new members had to be appointed to the board to allow them make a decision. This has created a huge backlog and hence no decision has been made.

Thanks
    Peter Chap Cleere

What utter rubbish from an bord pleanala someone somewhere had to be taken back handers for it to be delayed so many times 😡

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Hubert Martin

ALDI UPDATE:

I have just spoken with An Bord Pleanala who have confirmed to me that the decision regarding planning permission for Aldi in Graig has been deferred until further notice. There is no date indicated as to when the decision will be now made. The reason for the delay is partly due to 60% of the board of An Bord Pleanala either retiring or resigning recently and new members had to be appointed to the board to allow them make a decision. This has created a huge backlog and hence no decision has been made.

Thanks
    Peter Chap Cleere

What utter rubbish from an bord pleanala someone somewhere had to be taken back handers for it to be delayed so many times 😡
    That's like the new filling station in Freshford it took from 2010 to 2017 to get it up running , the local bigots kept objecting but they don't realize when a car stops in a town they might go into them as well.

That's like the new filling station in Freshford it took from 2010 to 2017 to get it up running , the local bigots kept objecting but they don't realize when a car stops in a town they might go into them as well.

I see they're advertising for staff for the new Mace Store. Freshford is a lovely little town but the Celtic Tiger totally bypassed it- hopefully with the new treatment plant more development can get going now. It has a lot of potential.
    Is there a filling station going in there too?

Aldi finally got the go ahead,
    Great news for Graiguenamanagh surounding areas

Great to see the contractor moving on site the last few days, planned to open in October according to aldi website

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Great to see the contractor moving on site the last few days, planned to open in October according to aldi website

It must be frustrating for a business to have to wait 3 years to open.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Becks610

It must be frustrating for a business to have to wait 3 years to open.

Where about sis this on the website- I can’t seem to find it.

• Advertisement

The wait is finally over 😠Aldi to open its store in Graiguenamanagh on the 29th of November

Advertisement