Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dores butchers closing

Options
  • 05-09-2015 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Was in dores earlier today and was told they are closing down at end of business today. Business is just not viable anymore, after 127 years in Kilkenny it is sad to see them go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

That's terrible news but people just don't want to eat the cheaper cuts like what Dores butchers offered and most people buy there meat now in the large supermarkets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Tbh I wouldn't set foot in there. I always thought there was a bit of a hwang about the place. Was a big fan of Pete's cones on summer days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

fraido wrote: »
    Was in dores earlier today and was told they are closing down at end of business today. Business is just not viable anymore, after 127 years in Kilkenny it is sad to see them go.

Not exactly true. There are plenty of good butcher businesses around the country I can think of that moved with the times into ready meals etc. this is where the future of butchers is, the likes of Nolans in Kilcullen. High end and convenience. Dores just seemed like cheap meat full stop, not very enticing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Won't miss it, bought meat in there a couple of times over the years and thought it was of poor quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

road_high wrote: »
    Not exactly true. There are plenty of good butcher businesses around the country I can think of that moved with the times into ready meals etc. this is where the future of butchers is, the likes of Nolans in Kilcullen. High end and convenience. Dores just seemed like cheap meat full stop, not very enticing.

O'Briens in Loughboy does a roaring trade. Great for giving out free cooked sausages too :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Very sad to see happening, :(

Cabaal wrote: »
    Very sad to see happening, :(

I'd imagine they have a tenant/other use lined up. More money in not being a butchers shop I'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Just heard this sad news. Been going I there for years. Hope the lads in there will be looked after. Also hope the building won't just remain vacant.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd imagine they have a tenant/other use lined up. More money in not being a butchers shop I'd think.

I had that thought, still sad to see it close.

I'd imagine they'd make decent money renting or selling the building, could rent office space and shop space in it no problem,

Cabaal wrote: »
    I had that thought, still sad to see it close.

I'd imagine they'd make decent money renting or selling the building, could rent office space and shop space in it no problem,

Much more so than the margins on chicken fillets I'd say! That's the way High st has gone, low margin business has been pushed out of there due to rents, parking, changing shopping patterns etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

While it's sad to see a business close the name may live on under a different business, especially if Dores own the premises: Willoughby's was originally a clock makers I believe.

catbear wrote: »
    While it's sad to see a business close the name may live on under a different business, especially if Dores own the premises: Willoughby's was originally a clock makers I believe.

No point selling meat (low margins) on one of the most expensive and best rental streets in Ireland. That's what this boils down to, the Dores are shrewd business people and no doubt have made plans for this space long ago.

No point selling meat (low margins) on one of the most expensive and best rental streets in Ireland. That's what this boils down to, the Dores are shrewd business people and no doubt have made plans for this space long ago.
    It's certainly got the finest aspect on that end of high street.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

Is it a sign of things to come with CAS and redevelopment of the mart site? i.e. spreading the retail in the city out even more

A shame to see them out of business. They did get pretty niche the last few years though, going for low value and high volume. Hard to maintain since getting in and out of the warren of a traffic system in town wouldn't make worth your while if it wasn't within walking distance.

Good points made regarding the location, will surely see another venture of theirs open up on the same site and a fine location it is too. Renting it out is likely the more profitable, less risk route.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

catbear wrote: »

Dore's Café has a nice ring to it....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

High Street is dying. Should have kept the one way system and allowed enforced 1 hour free parking along one side. In their wisdom KK corporation now only allow Taxi's, disability, and loading to use the parking areas.

They can upgrade the pathway as many times as the wan't but it won't bring out the 'Spending' public. Convenience is what the present day shopper requires but they won't get that in the high street

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

I really do not get this, one of the best rental Streets in Ireland, if that is true; why do we not have some decent shops? I honestly say that apart from the Credit union I would have no reason to shop on the High street, biggest draw we have is Penney's. Just stop and look around what else is there. If Dunnes moved the town would fold like a pack of cards.
    The summer tourist trade keeps a lot of places viable, as been said gone are the days of dragging shopping around the town, the lack of parking is one aspect and the other is natural progress, One has only to pop out to Loughboy to see what is wanted.
    High Streets are a thing of the past, they served a purpose for many years, ask any woman why the supermarket reigns supreme, time and price and convenience.
    By all means tart the high street up for the tourists, what will they do with the St Francis site?
    Foxy

I really do not get this, one of the best rental Streets in Ireland, if that is true; why do we not have some decent shops? I honestly say that apart from the Credit union I would have no reason to shop on the High street, biggest draw we have is Penney's. Just stop and look around what else is there. If Dunnes moved the town would fold like a pack of cards.
    The summer tourist trade keeps a lot of places viable, as been said gone are the days of dragging shopping around the town, the lack of parking is one aspect and the other is natural progress, One has only to pop out to Loughboy to see what is wanted.
    High Streets are a thing of the past, they served a purpose for many years, ask any woman why the supermarket reigns supreme, time and price and convenience.
    By all means tart the high street up for the tourists, what will they do with the St Francis site?
    Foxy

Are we talking about the same street here; Goods, Pauls, Boots, Argos, Monsoon, HMV, Detail, Spar, Murphys Jewellers, Book Centre, Duggans, Villa, Sam McCauleys, Lifestyle Sports, Elverys...to name but a few. All what most people might call "decent" shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

Foxy is just deluded if it ain't in Callan or clonmel it's just not good enough you could stick a brown Thomas on the high street and he/she would make out a sweet shop in clonmel would offer more choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

To be honest if i want to go shopping i dont go to Kilkenny, its either Clonmel or Waterford.

• Advertisement

Autosport wrote: »
    To be honest if i want to go shopping i dont go to Kilkenny, its either Clonmel or Waterford.

Depends where ya live. If South Kilkenny then of course, practicality takes over. Living in Kilkenny itself those two not even on the radar, whereas as to an extent Carlow is or further away for a good trip Ke village or newbridge.

Autosport wrote: »

It's funny, I've talked to many people over the years from Waterford who say it sucks for shopping and they love Kilkenny in comparison

Last weekend we were in Macroom, beautiful little town, no shops the high st dead, though they have four supermarkets, this weekend it was Newbridge, I thought I was in London with all the traffic, Whitewater shopping centre, state of the art supervalu, and dunnes, talk about booming, if only Kilkenny could get the same, we would be the talk of the country, we look like going the way Macroom has, a great pity, they have two way traffic deadly to say the least.
    Like autosport I love clonmel, though in fairness they do not have any large stores only M&S, whereas Waterford at least has Shaw's not quite Brown Thomas of course, oh yes Newbridge silver, still no coffee spoons, try Kildare village next week.
    Don't like Carlow, very mucky sort of shopping. Foxy

I see Road high is in the same mind about where to go, it is a fact you cannot give Kilkenny 100% in respect to shopping, it is okay for the normal run of things and not forgetting Design Centre, come on it is really only for tourists, we watched umpteen coaches disgorge their passengers on Sunday, most of them were not ever going to walk to Canices.
    By the way Applegreen is not a patch on Lemybrien, maybe one day, at the moment apart from cheap petrol it is very little changed. Foxy you are a pest

. Foxy you are a pest

Don't say that foxy, your consistency is inspirational.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Depends where ya live. If South Kilkenny then of course, practicality takes over. Living in Kilkenny itself those two not even on the radar, whereas as to an extent Carlow is or further away for a good trip Ke village or newbridge.

I lived in college for waterford for 4 years. Kilkenny is 10 times better for shopping then kilkenny. There is really notting in waterford at all !!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Kilkenny is 10 times better for shopping then kilkenny.

I think you have a typo...! If you correct I'll delete my post.

I'd also pick Kilkenny over Waterford for shopping but being honest I do most of my shopping online anyway!

Superb position, when did you last try pushing a pram up the high st? A nightmare, tried getting up to Kieron Street through Dunnes? You can sing the praises of the shops by all means, think before ye leap how often would you go into some of them? Murphy's would not be a daily, monthly visit, same as the sports shops, would I buy from Argos, anything large no way, tried pushing the pram round boots? Spar, well okay for the workers but not a serious shopper, as for Goods and Pauls and Monsoon would depend on ones genetical make up, okay for some but what about the others? No one was decrying the shops they just are not very interesting, no one mentions Winstons.
    We are really talking tourism, the High St has got to appeal to our visitors, and in all fairness does it? There is talk of the St Francis site having shopping facilities and tour buses dropping off at the bottom of the town, by the time some of the old people have attempted to walk up to the castle, which is about the only thing they come to see, they would not make it, dream all you like about Canices, very charming but.
    Apart from the Design centre, how far do you have to walk for a coffe or tea, well Ormonde St, which would not hold too many, Book Centre, if they have the puff to get up the stairs, we do not cater for the tourist who comes by coach.
    I regret I do not see the closing of Dores as a major loss, time has passed it by and also how we shop.
    Seriously shopping has changed and one has to look for the future, it is true two way traffic is a pain in the butt, both to the pedestrian and the driver that crossing by Dores is a liability, go on try crossing it with a pram or buggy.
    Foxy looking for answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Whitewater shopping centre, state of the art supervalu, and dunnes, talk about booming, if only Kilkenny could get the same, Foxy

NewBridge, is a Town that serves a much greater population in the general area than kilkenny has...Thats why its busy busy busy there...

Meanwhile Grogan & Brown artisian Butchers is doing very well..just won the 'Best Craft Butcher Shop in Ireland' 2015/16 ...Over 550 butchers and They're No.1

• Advertisement

Okay where is Grogan and Brown, take it they might be in Smithlands so come on give them a fair innings perhaps we can give them some support, it is refreshing to read about someone who his successful.

Advertisement