Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What happened with HMV Liffey Valley?

• 05-09-2015 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,094 ✭✭✭✭

i was in there a couple of weeks ago and they were boxing stock up, one of the staff told me the lease was up and they would be opening up at another location in the centre but I think he might have been spoofing about that. Anyone hear anything else about it?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I heard they were moving to a different location in the centre as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,094 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I heard they were moving to a different location in the centre as well.

Yes but can't really see where? Maybe in the new Penny's area being built on at the moment?

Yes but can't really see where? Maybe in the new Penny's area being built on at the moment?

There is a notice up that they are moving. The old Bank clothing store opposite has hording up, they could be going in there for a bigger store?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

foreign wrote: »
    There is a notice up that they are moving. The old Bank clothing store opposite has hording up, they could be going in there for a bigger store?

Pretty certain that a: That has an Aeropostale hoarding up and b: They'd be looking for smaller premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Jayisplay

I asked at customer service yesterday and the girl said that its gone and it won't be opening back that it's gone for good.

• Advertisement

Jeez that's bad it was kept out of the media,
    I had a feeling the lad who i was talking to wasn't telling me the whole truth, that's a great shame

I know it was kept very quiet, a female staff member also told me they were moving but she didn't seem happy, nowhere now in Liffey valley for games or DVDs etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

In all seriousness though, was it ever going to do well again? It didn't stay open for long.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

In Liffey Valley right now😄 and noticed it gone too! Surprised as I thought after the last mass closure of their outlets in Ireland that they'd be careful about any new locations!

Aeropostale is a big American store! Good to see it opening in Ireland. Surprised media haven't reported on that like they did with Hollister or A&F.

Finally, the graphics on the hoardings where Penneys is being built look impressive! wher

Yes hmv and xtra vision will never do good business like they use 2 now with people downloadin music and movies and the likes of Netflix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I think it possibly could have done well but from the very first day it opened it was a but of a mess imo.

Film selections went very bad from top end stuff to world cinema.

There blu ray selection was abysmal and staff that didn't seem to care less.

There was more than one occasion I came out empty handed because they didn't have what I was looking for.

At one stage shortly after boardwalk empire ended I tired to buy the box set for a gift was told they got six in and that was it asked could I order it was told no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Pity it's gone, that's a big space to fill but HMV was so overpriced! I think a Cex would do really well in the centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

so long sweet prince. just when i was getting back into vinyl and all:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the old HMV was great but since HMV reopened under new management with Xtravision it's been so overpriced and almost as bad as Gamestop for ripping people off, not surprised they are closing stores again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,561 ✭✭✭Heroditas

ongarboy wrote: »
    Aeropostale is a big American store! Good to see it opening in Ireland. Surprised media haven't reported on that like they did with Hollister or A&F.

Delighted to see Aeropostale open here. Love their stuff!

I've a fair bit of Aeropostale stuff I got in the US (including a tshirt that cost me negative 15 dollars, due to some offer causing my entire bill to reduce) but I was slightly put off when I realised that they consider their target audience to be teenagers!

Their shirts are good though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

Was there today and the shop has moved intothe old vero mode unit, wasn't open yet, but appears to be nearly ready. lifestyle sports is moving across tothe old HMV unt

Fagashlil wrote: »
    Was there today and the shop has moved intothe old vero mode unit, wasn't open yet, but appears to be nearly ready. lifestyle sports is moving across tothe old HMV unt

It's open today. Passed it earlier and was surprised to see it hasn't gone for good. Delighted

Heroditas wrote: »
    It's open today. Passed it earlier and was surprised to see it hasn't gone for good. Delighted

What so HMV is still there? I will be delighted if it is!

• Advertisement

Yep still there, albeit in a smaller unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Much smaller,was in there yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

€80 for fifa 16 on PS4!!

Fook that, should have stayed closed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

€80 for fifa 16 on PS4!!

Fook that, should have stayed closed

Seriously?

You know what, HMV deserves to close if it's charging those prices. People aren't mugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Seriously?

You know what, HMV deserves to close if it's charging those prices. People aren't mugs.

I didn't believe it either

http://www.hmv.ie/FIFA-16/movies-games-entertainment/pd/116367?path=ps4

€62 in littlewoods
    €65 in smyths

Gamestop are cheaper at €75 and thats really saying something

Plenty of cheaper better alternatives

HMV are thoroughly irrelevant now

Ah still it's nice to have somewhere to walk around when your in the main centre, I'm sure there will be some bargains on movies etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Glad to see HMV in Liffey Valley is back open, have many great memories of browsing the place. What's their blu-ray section like now? Any deals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I passed through LV today and see Aeropostale are closing down??? That didn't last long! Are they relocating, or......?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    I passed through LV today and see Aeropostale are closing down??? That didn't last long! Are they relocating, or......?

Not sure, but it's odd that you thought to resurrect a two year old thread about HMV! :pac:

I'm not familiar with the store, have you checked their Twitter / Facebook pages?

https://www.facebook.com/AeropostaleIE/

https://twitter.com/AeropostaleIE?lang=en

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

me_irl wrote: »
    Not sure, but it's odd that you thought to resurrect a two year old thread about HMV! :pac:

I'm not familiar with the store, have you checked their Twitter / Facebook pages?

https://www.facebook.com/AeropostaleIE/

https://twitter.com/AeropostaleIE?lang=en

I searched for Aeropostale in this forum and this thread came up - the shop is mentioned in a few posts :)

Aeropostale are in severe financial difficulty worldwide. That "style" of clothes has collapsed in popularity taking American Apparel with it.

Advertisement