Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 NFL Draft

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I don't get why people pay this guy so much attention, seems like he's throwing darts all the time.

Anyway I can only see the top 5 picks without a subscription. Those picks look fine, could well happen.

Tennessee could go Tackle at 1 either, or trade out of it altogether. I'd imagine Goff to Cleveland is as certain as you can ever be in January.

Apparently his pick 6 and 7 are Stanley to the Ravens and Treadwell to the 49ers. As a 49ers fan I'd be happy enough with that, but we haven't drafted a decent WR since Crabtree so not really sure.

Things would be cleared after free agency in March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Here's the full mock if anyone's interested:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/40xry7/mel_kipers_2016_nfl_mock_draft_10/

I'll be livid if the Ravens take Stanley with Hargreaves still on the board.
    adrian522 wrote: »
    I don't get why people pay this guy so much attention, seems like he's throwing darts all the time.

You've literally summed up everyone who covers the draft there. :D

Paully D wrote: »
    Here's the full mock if anyone's interested:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/40xry7/mel_kipers_2016_nfl_mock_draft_10/

I'll be livid if the Ravens take Stanley with Hargreaves still on the board.

You've literally summed up everyone who covers the draft there. :D

My dream draft involves Stanley falling to the Eagles I'd love it.

Eagles draft is a bit funny As well nkimdichi looks like a stud so I'd like it but it's an area of real strength at the mo for the Eagles probably the strongest

Although I'm sure Jim Schwartz wouldn't mind the pick at all :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Tunsil won't fall to 3. He's pretty much Ogden (who should never have fallen to 4), Pace level of a prospect. Obv doesn't mean he'll get near those guys but he's prob gonna be the 1st overall imo. Unless someone trades up for a qb.

I don't think Bosa has the crazy freak athleticism you want out of a 1st pick overall lineman. He's a very good prospect and looks quite nfl ready but i think his ceiling is too low to go 1st overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Tunsil won't fall to 3. He's pretty much Ogden (who should never have fallen to 4), Pace level of a prospect. Obv doesn't mean he'll get near those guys but he's prob gonna be the 1st overall imo. Unless someone trades up for a qb.

I don't think Bosa has the crazy freak athleticism you want out of a 1st pick overall lineman. He's a very good prospect and looks quite nfl ready but i think his ceiling is too low to go 1st overall.

If I had to pick right now, I think the top 3 is:

1) Tunsil - Titans
    2) Goff - Browns
    3) Bosa - Chargers

If I had to pick right now, I think the top 3 is:

1) Tunsil - Titans
    2) Goff - Browns
    3) Bosa - Chargers

Hope soon seem a few where the Chargers take Stanley and cowboys get bosa and that's terrifying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Might be the only person left with this opinion but Stanley > Tunsil imo.

Myles Jack is also the best player in the class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭tripperman

Wouldn't be surprised to see Ramsey go in the top 3/4 picks he seems to be an exceptional talent and a good combine will reinforce that imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Ragland to the Bears at 11 is way too rich. Whiffed in the bowl game and definite questions as to whether he can be a 3 down backer.

No thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Morrison J wrote: »
    Might be the only person left with this opinion but Stanley > Tunsil imo.

Myles Jack is also the best player in the class.
    Can't agree with this, Bosa is the consensus best player and I'd be of that opinion myself. I think the guy is going to be a stud in the NFL.

With Tennessee needing a LT and the Browns possibly looking at a QB he might end up at San Diego. They already have a really good D, add him and they might become lights out next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Wouldn't agree with the Chargers having a really good D.

21st in Points Against
    20th in Yards Against
    28th in Passing Yards Against per Attempt
    30th in Rushing Yards Against per Attempt
    23rd in Forced Fumbles
    24th in Sacks
    21st in Interceptions
    Last in most 20+ yard runs given up
    14th in 3rd Down %
    Last in 4th Down %

That's well below average. It's going to take a lot more than Joey Bosa to make them "lights out".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Chargers IR list, though:

13 Keenan Allen WR (IR) Injury
    40 Chi Chi Ariguzo LB (IR) Injury
    24 Brandon Flowers CB (IR) Injury
    89 Ladarius Green TE (IR) Injury
    59 Brock Hekking OLB (IR) Injury
    98 Sean Lissemore NT (IR) Injury
    94 Corey Liuget DE (IR) Injury
    43 Branden Oliver RB (IR) Injury
    95 Tenny Palepoi DT (IR) Injury
    25 Darrell Stuckey FS (IR) Injury
    63 Johnnie Troutman G (IR) Injury
    65 Chris Watt C (IR) Injury
    32 Eric Weddle FS (IR) Injury
    58 Tourek Williams OLB (IR) Injury
    28 Melvin Gordon RB (IR) Injury

I think there D is, and will be middle of the pack. They took a hit this year due to the absurd number of injuries the entire team had to deal with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭tripperman

eagle eye wrote: »
    Can't agree with this, Bosa is the consensus best player and I'd be of that opinion myself. I think the guy is going to be a stud in the NFL.

With Tennessee needing a LT and the Browns possibly looking at a QB he might end up at San Diego. They already have a really good D, add him and they might become lights out next season.

As a chargers fan I don't see this lights out defence you see, we are a long way from such a unit, we have some good young players to build that defence as in verrett, Perryman, te"o, liguet, Ingram, and jerry attouch, chargers need a new safety with weddle leaving, addae is an average starter, need a cb to play opposite verrett as flowers was a disaster this season, we need a de like bosa to improve the dline, but to help a de and pass rushing olb we need an elite dt who take double team blockers to free up gaps for players round him to get in the backfield,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

I took the liberty of only showing defensive players, I also took out players that went on IR in a dead season with less than 3 games to go(Lissemore, Stuckey, Liuget and Weddle). The defense was mostly healthy, a few games missed by players here and there but nothing huge really.
    • Chi Chi Ariguzo was an UDFA that was special teams only
    • Brandon Flowers played half a season and was getting beat badly for that half a season
    • Brock Hekking was an UDFA, played 0 snaps
    • Tenny Palepoi wasn't even sure he'd make the team
    • Tourek Williams was expected to contribute a lot so that was the biggest loss by far

The Chargers main source of injuries were on the offensive line, wide reciever and at tight end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭mooreman09

Hogan and Cook are solid mid round QB picks.

Scooby Wright is going to be an incredible pick for somebody, particularly if he goes to the 2nd round. Ravens Second pick sounds plausible to me as they try to rebuild their defense. He'll slot straight in.

Good year to need a DT

- Bosa
    - Robinson
    - Reed
    - Washington
    - Billings
    - Nkemdiche
    - Clark
    - Butler
    - Rankins

Depending on whether both Ayers and JPP are kept, I actually think Giants need a DT, more so than a DE.

Those two are very productive when on the field at the same time, and I have good hopes for Owa, the rookie who hit IR last year.

As for DT, Hankins is a stud, but Jenkins is getting on in age, Bromley is improving, but still not a productive starter, and Kuhn is just plain awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,927 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Good year to need a DT

- Bosa
    - Robinson
    - Reed
    - Washington
    - Billings
    - Nkemdiche
    - Clark
    - Butler
    - Rankins

The draft seems to be very strong at ILB as well by all accounts. In fact, by most readings, the depth in the draft seems to match up very well with the Bears needs (DL, LB, and G in particular). I'm looking forward to it now.

Senior Bowl's about to start! :)

NFL Network/GamePass for those interested.

• Advertisement

Sterling Shepard is gonna be so good in the NFL. One drop in his last 162 targets. Guy has really good hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Sterling Shepard is gonna be so good in the NFL. One drop in his last 162 targets. Guy has really good hands.

With all the talk about Tredwell and Braxton miller he could be a very exciting option for someone in second or third round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

eagle eye wrote: »

Chargers already have a really good D? when did you last see them play? we've the worst D line in the NFL and no safeties.

If Bosa is there we have to take him and if not then Nkemdiche (even at #3).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

All of the top QB's to throw at the combine. Not too surprised considering there seems little consensus as to how they stand. Really wouldn't be a fan of wasting a top 10 pick on Goff, Wentz or Lynch. Hackenberg in the 2nd or 3rd would be where I would go if I needed a QB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Any idea on teams who will look to trade up or down? Always the most interesting part of draft day to me.

Hey guys
    Is just me that's not in the least bit excited by this Draft??
    Don't see a franchise QB in this class
    The current Heisman trophy winner is a potential mid second round pick
    Maybe after the combine I'll be brighter

brinty wrote: »
    Hey guys
    Is just me that's not in the least bit excited by this Draft??
    Don't see a franchise QB in this class
    The current Heisman trophy winner is a potential mid second round pick
    Maybe after the combine I'll be brighter

Offensively, yeah. Seems to be some solid defensive players, however, which does interest me as a Giants fan.

It'll pick up a bit once FA takes off, however.

Hoping Giants can stack up on defense, grab an interior pass rushing lineman and a linebacker, at the very least.

Knex
    I'm a cowboy fan and listening to out podcasts were terrified that giants take Elliott at ten then go defense
    Think it's likely we take bosa it Ramsey at four but some are adamant we should take Jack

Elliot does look fantastic, but our last first round RB didn't work out so well, and we probably have enough there to get by with Jennings & Vereen, to justify passing on a high defense player.

Myles Jack and his knee might be a little iffy to take at four. If Bosa is there, I imagine Cowboys would be all over it.

By the time its draws closer, we'll all be a lot more interested, and will have scenarios drawn up in our heads, I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

i know its the same every year but there is lots of teams talking about drafting a qb.... which bodes well for teams who want to trade down! Texans, Cowboys, Eagles, Browns maybe Chargers looking for qbs!

• Advertisement

49ers and the Chip Kelly wild train ride, probably want a QB too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Note to others: if you see a mock/'draft needs' article, scroll down to Green Bay first. If you see a WR as the top need or two, or GB taking one in the first round, do yourself a favour... close the tab and find a new article.

It really winds me up seeing how lazily made some of these things are. Don't get me wrong, the good ones can be great, but every year there are a bunch who take on the lazy approach - last year with GB it was OLBs (you could also say CBs, but that was a big legit need that we took in rounds 1 & 2 - it was one of the most obvious needs of any team in the whole draft).

Anyone have suggestions like this for other teams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Knex. wrote: »
    49ers and the Chip Kelly wild train ride, probably want a QB too

I think they battle Kaep against Gabbert to be honest. I never get to see enough college football but if I recall Gabbert was not seen as too much of a reach being drafted at #10 a few years back, and he did impress me when he played in SF. Not incredibly or anything, but like an Osweiler perhaps - he looks like he really can be a legit NFL QB ('franchise QB' remains very much a question mark, however).

As for Kaep, I was sure he was gone and was talking with some here about where the best fit would be. That said, Chip Kelly's system strikes me as one he could potentially excel in and I don't think anyone would deny that his (theoretical*) ceiling is very, very high... I think they might just see how that works out for them, barring a very lucrative trade offer.

*I say theoretical because there is a major factor in the way... he's not a smart player, and will always need a coach to work around that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Kaepernick is not really of a mind to stay in the 49ers apparently he will take some convincing. Also Chip wasn't exactly glowing in praise for him when he was hired. It's possible things get worked out and he stays but I have to think it is also possible he is gone.

The other thing about Chip Kelly and his system, he wants the QB to have the threat to run but he much prefers the running back to do the running. The most important aspect for a QB in Chips system is accuracy, particularly short and medium range accuaracy, not exactly Kaepernick's strong point.

By April 1st, if he is on the 49ers roster he is guaranteed $11m. Cap space or not that is too much to have invested in a QB who is not starting, so I think if he still there on April 1st then he will likely be the starter.

An alternative course of events may be, 49ers ask him to take a pay cut, he refuses, they try to trade him, can't finds a team willing to pay him that much and he is cut in late March.

There is a lot of bad blood between Kaepernick and the 49ers front office because of leaks and how he was treated last year (he wasn't allowed stand on the sideline for games last season after he was benched, and wasn't offered space in the corporate boxes to view the game).

If I had to guess I'd say Gabbert and either a mid-priced free agent or a mid round draft pick will compete for the job. I don't think they will spend the 7th pick on a QB unless Goff falls that far. Even then I'd say they'll be going defense. (ILB/Pass rusher most likely)

adrian522 wrote: »
    The other thing about Chip Kelly and his system, he wants the QB to have the threat to run but he much prefers the running back to do the running.

I disagree chip ran the qb in philly until he got bradford the issue was with foles and sanchez the runs where not particularly long. with a qb like kap that is big enough to take a hit and fast enough to make ground i think he could go full option offence
    The most important aspect for a QB in Chips system is accuracy, particularly short and medium range accuaracy, not exactly Kaepernick's strong point.
    )

i think you are correct in your second point though and i would add that when iv seen kap he seems to have issues taking power off the ball if your running a short slant or out i dont think he can throw a catchable ball much (although i saw very little of him last year but from what i gathered he didn't improve on anything)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Knex. wrote: »
    Elliot does look fantastic, but our last first round RB didn't work out so well, and we probably have enough there to get by with Jennings & Vereen, to justify passing on a high defense player.

Myles Jack and his knee might be a little iffy to take at four. If Bosa is there, I imagine Cowboys would be all over it.

By the time its draws closer, we'll all be a lot more interested, and will have scenarios drawn up in our heads, I'm sure.

Agree we ain't taking an RB in the 1st & to be fair Elliott is no Gurley or AP.

I def think we go D in the 1st. Jack or Smith would be great if still there, even allowing for injuries. Noah Spence is a really interesting prospect, I wonder now that TC is out of the building would we be more willing to take a character risk.

i think you are correct in your second point though and i would add that when iv seen kap he seems to have issues taking power off the ball if your running a short slant or out i dont think he can throw a catchable ball much (although i saw very little of him last year but from what i gathered he didn't improve on anything)

Hi, I posted on the 49ers forum, but there is a good analysis on one of the 49er fan sites that breaks downs chips system quite well, anyway the above is based on that

This is from a coaching clinic Chip gave in 2009
    As Kelly explained to his clinic audience, "We want the ball in the running back’s hands. We do not want the quarterback carrying the ball. The option can put the ball in his hands, but the defense can force it out of his hands. We want the quarterback to give the ball unless he cannot."

Mayock has released his first set of positional rankings:

Quarterback

1. Carson Wentz, North Dakota State
    2. Jared Goff, California
    3. Paxton Lynch, Memphis
    4. Connor Cook, Michigan State
    5. Dak Prescott, Mississippi State

Running back

1. Ezekiel Elliott, Ohio State
    2. Derrick Henry, Alabama
    3. Devontae Booker, Utah
    4. Kenneth Dixon, Louisiana Tech
    5. Jordan Howard, Indiana

Wide receiver

1. Laquon Treadwell, Ole Miss
    2. Corey Coleman, Baylor
    3. Michael Thomas, Ohio State
    4. Josh Doctson, TCU
    5. Will Fuller, Notre Dame

Tight end

1. Hunter Henry, Arkansas
    2. Austin Hooper, Stanford
    3. Jerrell Adams, South Carolina
    4. Nick Vannett, Ohio State
    5. Henry Krieger Coble, Iowa

Offensive tackle

1. Laremy Tunsil, Ole Miss
    2. Ronnie Stanley, Notre Dame
    3. Jack Conklin, Michigan State
    4. Taylor Decker, Ohio State
    5. Willie Beavers, Western Michigan

Guard

1. Cody Whitehair, Kansas State
    2. Vadal Alexander, LSU
    3. Joshua Garnett, Stanford
    4. Christian Westerman, Arizona State
    5. Graham Glasgow, Michigan

Center

1. Ryan Kelly, Alabama
    2. Nick Martin, Notre Dame
    3. Max Tuerk, USC
    4. Evan Boehm, Missouri
    5. Jack Allen, Michigan State

Interior defensive line

1. DeForest Buckner, Oregon
    2. Robert Nkemdiche, Ole Miss
    3. Sheldon Rankins, Louisville
    4. Jarran Reed, Alabama
    5. A'Shawn Robinson, Alabama

Edge rusher

1. Joey Bosa, Ohio State
    2. Noah Spence, Eastern Kentucky
    3. Shaq Lawson, Clemson
    4. Leonard Floyd, Georgia
    5. Kevin Dodd, Clemson

Linebacker

1. Jaylon Smith, Notre Dame
    2. Myles Jack, UCLA
    3. Reggie Ragland, Alabama
    4. Darron Lee, Ohio State
    5. Deion Jones, LSU

Cornerback

1. Jalen Ramsey, Florida State
    2. Vernon Hargreaves, Florida
    3. Mackensie Alexander, Clemson
    4. Eli Apple, Ohio State
    5. Cyrus Jones, Alabama

Safeties

1. Karl Joseph, West Virginia
    2. Vonn Bell, Ohio State
    3. Darien Thompson, Boise State
    4. Miles Killebrew, Southern Utah
    5. Jeremy Cash, Duke

Lot of stuff I could argue with on those rankings but William Jackson III not being a top 5 CB is criminal. I'd only have Ramsey ahead of him personally.

• Advertisement

Lot of stuff I could argue with on those rankings but William Jackson III not being a top 5 CB is criminal. I'd only have Ramsey ahead of him personally.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with not having him in the top 5.

I definitely agree with Mayock that Ramsey, Hargreaves, Alexander and Apple are the top 4 CB's (though I keep flip-flopping on whether I prefer Ramsey or Hargreaves at #1) and who I personally think could/should all go in round 1. Then you have the likes of Fuller, Jackson, Sanchez, Howard etc who, IMO, are in that next bracket. Interesting though, I'll certainly take a closer look at Jackson.

Speaking of CB's, Artie Burns' story would pull on anyone's heartstrings. His mother passed away unexpectedly from a heart attack last year and as his father is in jail, Burns has custody of his 2 younger brothers along with his own son too. He's heading to the NFL early to be better able to support them.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with not having him in the top 5.

I definitely agree with Mayock that Ramsey, Hargreaves, Alexander and Apple are the top 4 CB's (though I keep flip-flopping on whether I prefer Ramsey or Hargreaves at #1) and who I personally think could/should all go in round 1. Then you have the likes of Fuller, Jackson, Sanchez, Howard etc who, IMO, are in that next bracket. Interesting though, I'll certainly take a closer look at Jackson.

I just don't see how anyone can compare Apple and Jackson's tape and think Apple is better. He gets beat a lot and gets a bit bullied out there. No way does he look 6'1 out there to me. I'd honestly have him as a third rounder personally.

Very first play here is a prime example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKH74Gw2vXM

Hargreaves I really like a lot but Jackson's tape is every bit of as good imo and Jackson has 3 inches on him which makes the difference for me.

I understand it might be seen as a "bold" opinion but I really think Jackson and Apple's draft stocks will go the opposite way after the combine. Jackson lacking elite speed might stop him making the big jump into the first round though.

The Combine is under way...

Belwo are some question Austen Lane claims to have been asked in 2010.

When a scout at the combine asked me... "If you could kill someone and not get caught, would you?" pic.twitter.com/mwK5UX8gvW

— Austen Lane (@A_Train_92) February 23, 2016
    When a scout at the combine asked me if I thought my mother was attractive. pic.twitter.com/FPwc6OVdtj

When a coach made the statement during my combine interview... "I see you have dreads, you smoke weed don't you?" pic.twitter.com/fu2BLm55uF

When a scout asked me at the combine if I had to murder someone: Would I use a gun or a knife? pic.twitter.com/R5BHMxiDM7

When a scout at the combine asked me "boxers or briefs". pic.twitter.com/6IwjeszYBD

There's a good interview here with Ryan Pace (bears GM). I thought it was insightful.

Didn't realise they'd get to test football intelligence so much.

As the interview notes (question 3) they'd have the intelligence/background stuff done and asking direct questions the players have been coached up on re past mistakes isn't going to reveal a huge amount.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

The guys at NFL Network thought they were off air earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,927 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

"The next former Browns quarterback" is a pretty great line in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

That sounds like Andrew Siciliano? Big time Browns fan which makes it an even better line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,605 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Harsh, but probably true. Browns are a graveyard for QBs, and talented players in general. Who would want to a top pick nowadays faced with the prospect of going there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Harsh, but probably true. Browns are a graveyard for QBs, and talented players in general. Who would want to a top pick nowadays faced with the prospect of going there?
    It's possible to turn any franchise around and it doesn't take that long if you have the right people in place.

I think Haslam and Scheiner will get things right there eventually.

• Advertisement
Advertisement