Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 NFL Draft

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Completely missed the Combine as I was away all weekend. Any big winners or losers? Shocks or surprises?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Paully D wrote: »
    Completely missed the Combine as I was away all weekend. Any big winners or losers? Shocks or surprises?

Tunsil looked amazing anyway. Stanley is huge - very long arms!.

Nkemdiche put in a good performance but has a big mouth!

Darron Lee really helped himself as did ogbah.

Spence's poor 40 time probably the biggest surprise for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Tunsil looked amazing anyway. Stanley is huge - very long arms!.

Nkemdiche put in a good performance but has a big mouth!

Darron Lee really helped himself as did ogbah.

Spence's poor 40 time probably the biggest surprise for me.

Outside of Ogbah the pass rushers seemed to lack the explosion you would like. I'd agree that Tunsil looked good but the two stars of the show were William Jackson & Jalen Ramsey.

Ramsey has pretty much solidified his position as the best player in the Ðraft & it's not especially close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I would have Myles Jack in the same category as Ramsey, from the albeit limited amount I've seen of both.

I'd be ecstatic if he was there at 10. His pro day will likely decide how high he goes, though.

Jaylon Smith's injury is obviously a huge issue that knocks him from that top class.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Ramsey has pretty much solidified his position as the best player in the Ðraft & it's not especially close.

It seems there's not a hope he lasts until the Ravens at #6 now which is a pity. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

And the embarrassing QB over hyping has begun... Carson Wentz is now the new Andrew Luck.
    "When I look at him, I see a kid that’s as athletic or more athletic than Andrew Luck," NFL Network's Mike Mayock said during a conference call before the Combine. "He’s bigger than Andrew Luck. He’s got arm strength comparable to Andrew Luck. He just doesn’t have the experience that Andrew Luck had at a high level that Andrew had coming out of college. So I see a ceiling for this kid similar to Andrew Luck. That’s why I believe in this kid so much. But it’s going to take a little bit of time."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000637808/article/mayock-carson-wentzs-ceiling-similar-to-andrew-lucks

Billy86 wrote: »
    And the embarrassing QB over hyping has begun... Carson Wentz is now the new Andrew Luck.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000637808/article/mayock-carson-wentzs-ceiling-similar-to-andrew-lucks

I saw that a few days ago and burst out laughing when I read it.

There's no QB worth a 1st round draft pick this year IMO.

I saw that a few days ago and burst out laughing when I read it.

There's no QB worth a 1st round draft pick this year IMO.

Almost every year there is a clamour to over-rate the sh*t out of at least one QB as 'the next hall of famer in the making'. I much prefer the years where that dies off in the weeks leading into the draft, to be honest... just find it a major pain in the arse when it is so rarely justified.

It seems there's not a hope he lasts until the Ravens at #6 now which is a pity. :(

It would be very surprising if he fell past the Chargers at 3. There is no chance he is there at 6 as if he went past 3 there would be a huge race to get up to get him.

• Advertisement

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Outside of Ogbah the pass rushers seemed to lack the explosion you would like. I'd agree that Tunsil looked good but the two stars of the show were William Jackson & Jalen Ramsey.

Ramsey's arm length a huge bonus too. His shuttle time was a concern if considering him a CB but overall I agree he looks very impressive. Still think he's a safety - pro bowl safety from first year compared to CB who could struggle early. Looks better with things in front of him.

And again I agree outside of ogbah it looks a slow, unexplosive group.

Perry the Ohio state LBer had great numbers and will surely rise now especially as he's also a tackling machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭tripperman

If i was in chargers front office he wouldn't get past pick 3

Yeah, most analyst are saying he'll go at three.

Talks that Ozzy will try to trade up for the Chargers pick, or failing that, trade down and grab a safety in the latter part of the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Just a thought, but generally this years quarterback class isn't regarded as the strongest and Mike Mayock said that this years wide receiver class was the slowest he could remember, so in a year without any superstar quarterbacks and with slower underwhelming wide receivers, does that affect the evaulation of the cornerbacks and safeties in this years draft ?

I mean, if these players haven't played much against top notch quarterbacks and wide receivers, then surely that makes it harder to evaluate how they will perform when they face such players on a weekly basis in the NFL ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

That's a flawed logic, because they've faced a lot more receivers than just those in this year's draft class.

Vernon Hargreaves alone has faced some of the best receivers to be drafted over the past 2 years (Odell Beckham, Jarvis Landry, Allen Hurns, Kelvin Benjamin, Amari Cooper, Dorial Green-Beckham) as well as those who are topped to be drafted highly this year and next (Calvin Ridley, Laquon Treadwell).

This is regarded as one of the worst offensive classes in some time, but on the flip side, it has some serious depth on Defense.

Tunsil and Elliot aside, I don't see a lot of genuine first round offensive talent there. Certainly not top 15-20 talent anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Knex. wrote: »
    This is regarded as one of the worst offensive classes in some time, but on the flip side, it has some serious depth on Defense.

Tunsil and Elliot aside, I don't see a lot of genuine first round offensive talent there. Certainly not top 15-20 talent anyway.

As Jamarcus said that's flawed logic. If it a bad offensive class, how good are the defensive players coming out. You've got to judge one side of the ball against the other..... As I said before the combine I'm not enthused by this years class at all. Maybe that'll change after pro days but I'm not holding my breath
    Most people are already looking toward next years class for offensive players like fournette and perine

brinty wrote: »
    As Jamarcus said that's flawed logic. If it a bad offensive class, how good are the defensive players coming out. You've got to judge one side of the ball against the other..... As I said before the combine I'm not enthused by this years class at all. Maybe that'll change after pro days but I'm not holding my breath
    Most people are already looking toward next years class for offensive players like fournette and perine

JaMarcus' logic backs up my case, in that the defensive players will largely have played against the previous two good offensive draft classes. Hence you can gauge their standard, and by extension, this year's offensive class.

I do see your point in that it could well end up being a totally underwhelming draft class in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

People are underrating Wentz as a prospect on here. When you take into account current level he's not in the Mariota/Winston level right now but imo he has more potential than Winston. Drafting a qb with really high potential is totally acceptable with an early 1st rounder.

Also on the above by Mayock again he said his ceiling was Luck level, part of what made Luck so special was that he was completely pro ready and entered the league at pretty much pro bowl level. Thats what made him a special prospect.

This draft is weaker on paper than last year but there are a few D-linemen who could be monsters. Maybe similar impact in the nfl long term to the 2012 class.

• Advertisement

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Also on the above by Mayock again he said his ceiling was Luck level, part of what made Luck so special was that he was completely pro ready and entered the league at pretty much pro bowl level. Thats what made him a special prospect.
    He didn't though, we just kept getting told he did. Luck had a decent rookie year don't get me wrong, but that's not rare these days for QBs (Wilson and RGIII outperformed him as rookies out of his own draft class alone) but a lot of Arians' good work was attributed to him because of the hype train. For example though passer rating is never the full story, Luck has a lower one than Gabbert, Christian Ponder and Josh Freeman in his rookie year... in fact the only guys he had a better one than were Tannehill, Locker, Weeden, Chad Henne, Sanchez and Matt Cassel.

As I remember it though, Luck's selling point was that he was quite pro ready but had the potential to be 'the bestestest evurrrzzz' (not taking a shot at you there, just as much as I like Luck the overhyping of him pre-draft up until last season was nauseating :p ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

What made Luck special was that he was calling plays by himself in his senior year.

There's plenty of college QBs coming from pro style offences who can execute the designated play, and generally all they have to do is recognise what the defense is doing. They'll have a set list of a handful of audibles - if it's man coverage, audible to play 1, if it's zone, audible to play 2, if they're blitzing, audible to play 3 etc. - they have limited control. It's still the OC's playcalling they are calling audibles into.

Luck was running his own no huddle at times. He was also calling his own audibles from the entire playbook, not just a designed list for that drive. And the fact that it was a pro style playbook was why he was so highly regarded.

Case Keenum had the whole playbook to work with at UH, but it was a gimmick spread offense that was no good to him in the NFL.

Aaron Murray had a pro style offence at Georgia, but was limited by designated audibles.

Luck was perfect - pro style offense AND full playbook to choose from. Combine that with the fact he executed it at a high level with his own attributes (accuracy, release, decision making and all that jazz they love to talk about online) and that's why he was considered a once in a decade prospect.

For that reason, I think Mayocks comparison of Wentz to Luck is hyperbole. Not to say Wentz won't have success in the NFL but his ceiling is only the same as Luck's in the same way that you or I have ceilings similar to Luck. Just so happens that Wentz is starting from a better place than we are..!

And add to that, just look at Luck's combine results. Jesus Christ.

40: 4.67 seconds (average for this year's WRs)
    vert: 36 (above average for DBs)

His shuttle and broad jump also impressive, and not just for a QB perspective. Incredible athlete.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/andrew-luck?id=2533031

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

What made Luck special was that he was calling plays by himself in his senior year.

There's plenty of college QBs coming from pro style offences who can execute the designated play, and generally all they have to do is recognise what the defense is doing. They'll have a set list of a handful of audibles - if it's man coverage, audible to play 1, if it's zone, audible to play 2, if they're blitzing, audible to play 3 etc. - they have limited control. It's still the OC's playcalling they are calling audibles into.

Luck was running his own no huddle at times. He was also calling his own audibles from the entire playbook, not just a designed list for that drive. And the fact that it was a pro style playbook was why he was so highly regarded.

Case Keenum had the whole playbook to work with at UH, but it was a gimmick spread offense that was no good to him in the NFL.

Aaron Murray had a pro style offence at Georgia, but was limited by designated audibles.

Luck was perfect - pro style offense AND full playbook to choose from. Combine that with the fact he executed it at a high level with his own attributes (accuracy, release, decision making and all that jazz they love to talk about online) and that's why he was considered a once in a decade prospect.

For that reason, I think Mayocks comparison of Wentz to Luck is hyperbole. Not to say Wentz won't have success in the NFL but his ceiling is only the same as Luck's in the same way that you or I have ceilings similar to Luck. Just so happens that Wentz is starting from a better place than we are..!

I don't think that Wentz has the ceiling that Luck has, my point was more that he wasn't saying Wentz was the new Andrew Luck. He was saying he had a high ceiling and prob being slightly hyperbolic in his delivery as thats what his bosses want him to be. Wentz is still imo 100% a prospect worth taking with the 2nd overall pick. Shame he's going to the graveyard that is Cleveland so he's boned anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

I agree with JMH. Luck has what Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers and a few others have is the ability to read the game and to use his own abilities to use their full compliment of play designs and audibles to get the right play on the field. The coaches knew with him that he would choose the right play on the field given the defense in front of him. It saved his coaches giving him a set play.

Most QBs in the league are given plays and a set amount of audibles to choose from. With the small minority these guys can bring up a play from the whole designed system that suits the situation on the field. Part of the reason why these guys run the 2 minute drill so well they think on their feet all of the time.

Also to be fair, Luck did not enter the league at a Pro Bowl level - the media hype train just kept telling us he did. I don't watch nearly enough college football but follow the draft very closely, and for me it was all about upside with Luck from what I read. He was pro ready but that's not really very rare anymore for rookie QBs (RGIII & Wilson both outperformed him as rookies), and had Arians who we have since all come to find out isn't just a very good coach but a f***ing genius. Despite this his passer rating as a rookie was lower than everyone but Cassel, Sanchez, Tannehill, Chad Henne, Locker and Weeden... even lower than Josh Freeman, Blaine Gabbert & Christian Ponder.

Now I know passer ratings are by absolutely no means the be-all and end-all, and he showed the important stuff as a rookie - poise, presence, intelligence and an ability to 'do it when it counts' (most here know my opinion of '4th quarter comebackzzz', but 3rd down efficiency is a massively underrated QB metric). I'm not trying to sh*t on Luck, because I really like him as a player and he seems a great pro and generally class guy off the field (the special he did with Coby Fleener for Sky who most journeymen even turn their nose up at I would imagine, was very classy), and as mentioned above he had a very good ability to read the game and make the right call. But I just take serious issue with the idea he entered the league at a Pro Bowl level because the NFL hype machine pushed it so hard when it wasn't the case.

He certainly had 'once a decade' type of intangibles - the raw ability & athleticism of rookie Rodgers (who people sometimes forget was 21 and fairly raw when he was drafted) with the intelligence and poise of rookie Manning, but it took a little bit for him to get it together (and he still hasn't fully - his efficiency and ball control/retention still need a lot of work). But that's what irritates me a lot about pre draft coverage of QBs and what I've been saying on here for weeks... it seems every second year there is at least one 'once a decade' prospect. Luck was hyped much more as he seemed/still seems 'the real deal' but there was similar said for Bradford, Stafford and multiple others that.... just got completely forgotten once they failed to deliver, and then repeated the next year again (or the year after at worst). And now we're seeing it again.

/rant. :p

• Advertisement

JCTO wrote: »
    I agree with JMH. Luck has what Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers and a few others have is the ability to read the game and to use his own abilities to use their full compliment of play designs and audibles to get the right play on the field. The coaches knew with him that he would choose the right play on the field given the defense in front of him. It saved his coaches giving him a set play.

Most QBs in the league are given plays and a set amount of audibles to choose from. With the small minority these guys can bring up a play from the whole designed system that suits the situation on the field. Part of the reason why these guys run the 2 minute drill so well they think on their feet all of the time.
    Ben deserves that mention too, imo - he's a monster inside two minutes and over the last 4-5 years really has evolved into a guy who 'sees the game' like the names you mentioned. Not quite as polished in his all around technique and other intangibles, but he has become a very intelligent and aware QB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

Billy86 wrote: »
    Ben deserves that mention too, imo - he's a monster inside two minutes and over the last 4-5 years really has evolved into a guy who 'sees the game' like the names you mentioned. Not quite as polished in his all around technique and other intangibles, but he has become a very intelligent and aware QB.

Yeah most likely I just rattled of the first few names that came to mind. Rivers also could be thrown in there even with his bad decisions at times the man is a smart QB.

JCTO wrote: »
    Yeah most likely I just rattled of the first few names that came to mind. Rivers also could be thrown in there even with his bad decisions at times the man is a smart QB.
    He is - one thing I will say is that Norv Turner ruined him a little, he seems more scared of contact after those few years of non stop 7 step drop backs behind one of the worst lines in the league when his major weakness has always been that he's slower than Peyton and not able to just 'bounce' guys off like Ben or slip away while barely actually moving position like Rodgers (and a given he won't wiggle through a gap and make yards on his feet like Wilson).

It's a shame too, for my money he was quite comfortably the best QB in the league after Rodgers/Brady/Peyton/Brees/Warner from around 2008-2010 and was very close to being right up there with those guys (his 2010 was ridiculous even before you look at some of the guys he had catching). He's bounced back nicely since then but I would still classify him nowadays in the Tony Romo type of range - an incredibly good QB who doesn't always get his dues and who has had to carry poor teams and coaches, but who there is no credible argument for as best in the league.

Knex. wrote: »

Totally agree. You could possibly add Stanley too.

Defensive talent is totally loaded - no once in a generation player but loads of really really good players. There's going to be defensive tackles in particular going mid to late 2nd round that might have went in first round in prior years

Pyjamarama wrote: »

Wentz's ceiling is Andrew Luck in the same way that my ceiling is Andrew Luck. It was a ridiculous comment from Mayock IMO.

• Advertisement

Interesting bit on team interviews

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Interesting bit on team interviews

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php

Interesting piece alright.

I saw one of the four round mocks on NFL site and its had cowboys taking
    1st Bosa
    2nd Henry
    3rd Cook

Guess after that little piece the cowboys board might be changing a bit in Rounds 1 and 3

Kiper's latest mock. I would love it if the top 5 was accurate come draft day as it would mean we get to choose between Bosa or Hargreaves (though Ramsey is the dream pick):
    1. Tennessee Titans

Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss

The top left tackle in the draft goes to a team where offensive line help is a must. I'm certain the Titans will continue to shop this pick, but it could be difficult to get a good offer.

Free-agency effect: As usual, free agency isn't exactly flush with offensive tackle help. The Titans can shop elsewhere knowing they have a tackle option here. While it's not a free-agency move, the addition of DeMarco Murray is another reminder the O-line should be a priority.

2. Cleveland Browns

Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State

I wouldn't rule out Cleveland taking a non-quarterback here and then getting one with the No. 32 pick, but Wentz would make sense here as a super physical talent at the position who Hue Jackson can develop.

Free-agency effect: Is there a QB in free agency clearly better than a healthy Josh McCown who they want to pay big dollars for? Right now I doubt the Browns make a splash there.

3. San Diego Chargers

Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame

The offensive line has been a major problem area going on a few years, and Stanley can be plugged in immediately. The Chargers need D-line help as well, but the draft is much deeper at that position.

Free-agency effect: If the Chargers find O-line help in free agency, it could shift the thinking here if they have players graded similarly.

4. Dallas Cowboys

DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon

A good combination of clear need and a really good player available. Buckner brings versatility and the ability to disrupt the pocket.

Free-agency effect: There are some decent pass-rushers in free agency, but the Cowboys don't have the cap space to win bidding wars.

5. Jacksonville Jaguars

Jalen Ramsey, DB, Florida State

If there's a debate among evaluators on Ramsey, it's whether he'll end up at cornerback or safety. I think a little patience with him at cornerback will go a long way. He has star potential. Jacksonville should be thrilled if he's available here.

Free-agency effect: The Jags have the money to get multiple players in free agency, and should target the secondary. But when it comes to the draft, I think they should be taking the best player available, period.

6. Baltimore Ravens

Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State

The Ravens need help in the secondary, which makes the guy coming off the board at No. 9 tempting, but it's hard to pass on a talent as complete as Bosa at this spot.

Free-agency effect: If Kelechi Osemele ends up somewhere else via free agency, the offensive line could be in play here, but the value is a question if Stanley is off the board.

7. San Francisco 49ers

Jared Goff, QB, California

Even if Colin Kaepernick remains at quarterback I don't know if Goff would be out of the equation here. I think he could develop into something special for Chip Kelly and would provide insurance for Kap.

Free-agency effect: While a rebuilding team needs to be thinking "best player available" here, the 49ers have a lot of money to spend -- and needs all over -- so I do think priorities could shift.

8. Miami Dolphins

Myles Jack, LB, UCLA

A top-five player on my board, I think Jack could benefit any team in the league thanks to his skill set at linebacker and special ability to cover from that position.

Free-agency effect: The Dolphins could be in the market for a pass-rusher if Olivier Vernon is too expensive, and that could push a guy like Shaq Lawson up the board.

9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida

No change here from the previous mock. Hargreaves is highly regarded throughout the league and could certainly be drafted before this point.

Free-agency effect: The Bucs could get secondary help in free agency, but Hargreaves at this point would be hard to pass up, too.

10. New York Giants

Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson

Even if Jason Pierre-Paul were to return, the Giants would be wise to add pass-rushing talent, and Lawson is a good fit here. Like JPP, he's also underrated as a complete defensive end in that he's good against the run.

Free-agency effect: The Giants do have some shopping to do, and if they add pass rush help perhaps this pick becomes a cornerback such as Hargreaves, if available.

11. Chicago Bears

Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia

The Bears did work on the interior of the defensive line in the 2015 draft, but they need pass-rushers and Floyd is a big-time upside play.

Free-agency effect: The Bears could have a tough time winning the services of a top pass-rusher in free agency given other areas where they need to spend money, which includes retaining talent. They want to build through the draft.

12. New Orleans Saints

Sheldon Rankins, DL, Louisville

A big man with the quickness to create havoc in the backfield working from the interior, Rankins is a guy you draft to get better on defense, period, and that's what the Saints need to do.

Free-agency effect: Given their cap squeeze, the Saints can't be too aggressive in free agency and need to add defenders in the draft.

13. Philadelphia Eagles

Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State

If you just go on tape and forget pure potential, you would put Conklin much closer to the No. 1 and No. 3 picks in this mock draft. The Eagles can't go wrong in drafting even a couple good offensive linemen.

Free-agency effect: Philadelphia won't solve O-line depth issues in free agency alone. The makeover is ongoing, but the Eagles need to add young O-line talent.

14. Oakland Raiders

Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State

A high-upside cornerback with size, Apple might deal with some growing pains, but he's an impressive combination of size, athleticism and natural gifts for the position.

Free-agency effect: The Raiders can throw their money around this offseason, but they need major work in the secondary, so they'll need to draft help here regardless.

15. Los Angeles Rams

Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss

The Rams might actually find an upgrade at QB in free agency, but even if they don't add one, they also need somebody to catch the ball. It's not often you can get the top pass-catching prospect in the draft at No. 15.

Free-agency effect: The list of free-agent wide receivers isn't exactly stacked, with the top guy certain to stay put, so the Rams are going to get one at some point.

16. Detroit Lions

A'Shawn Robinson, DL, Alabama

The Lions improved defensively during the second half of the season, but "best interior defensive lineman" would be a solid strategy here; Robinson matches up as a value just on overall ability at this point, even if you forget the need.

Free-agency effect: I don't think the Lions can fix the D-line needs in free agency alone, especially if they spend money on an offensive tackle.

[–]bigdaddytripod 72 points 8 hours ago
    17. Atlanta Falcons

Darron Lee, OLB, Ohio State

Nobody was better at the NFL combine, and Lee has plenty of good tape as well. An explosive, versatile player is a good value here, and Atlanta has a need for a playmaker at linebacker.

Free-agency effect: If the Falcons add a guy such as Danny Trevathan in free agency, Lee might not be the best pick for immediate help. If they don't add any pass rush help, you could see them go that direction.

18. Indianapolis Colts

Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State

I think "best offensive lineman available" would be a smart strategy here, and Decker would join former teammate Jack Mewhort. The Colts would obviously move him off left tackle, but he's a good athlete and could transition.

Free-agency effect: Indianapolis could go a few ways in free agency, and I'm not sure any of them would change the reality that young talent on the O-line is a priority.

19. Buffalo Bills

Robert Nkemdiche, DL, Ole Miss

A special talent and incredible athlete at his size, Nkemdiche could play a big part in getting Rex (and Rob) Ryan's defense back to where it should be after an awful 2015. He's a character risk, but a top-five talent.

Free-agency effect: Buffalo is freeing up some cap money, but the Bills will have a tough time outbidding people for top talent. I wouldn't expect free agency to alter draft plans.

20. New York Jets

Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State

While I think Elliott could certainly qualify as "best player available" here, I'm not sure the Jets would take a running back this high. But that will be the question for every team, and Elliott sure would see the field for them.

Free-agency effect: Chris Ivory is likely to be gone, so even if it's not at this spot, I would expect the Jets to grab a running back at some point. I'll say this: If Ryan Fitzpatrick leaves, this is a dark horse spot for a QB.

21. Washington Redskins

Reggie Ragland, LB, Alabama

Last year's draft was all about getting tougher and more physical on both sides of the ball. Ragland continues that trend, fills a need, and is ready to play. Solid value here.

Free-agency effect: I think the defensive line will be a bigger priority than linebacker in free agency.

22. Houston Texans

Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame

DeAndre Hopkins had 97 more targets than any other player on the Texans last season, and they need to find someone who can take some pressure off. Fuller is the No. 1 guy in this draft if you want to take the top off a defense.

Free-agency effect: Houston could add a wideout in free agency, but nobody available has quite the upside of Fuller. The real question is whether the Texans get a QB, and if that influences this pick.

23. Minnesota Vikings

Josh Doctson, WR, TCU

Stefon Diggs was a great value, and as they move indoors the Vikings need to add another weapon in the passing game. Doctson is great after the catch and would be a great fit in the offense.

Free-agency effect: The Vikings should spend money on the offensive line in free agency, but that could be a target here as well if they don't do enough.

24. Cincinnati Bengals

Noah Spence, DE/OLB, Eastern Kentucky

Secondary is an emerging need for the Bengals, and I also think they'd grab Fuller or Doctson here if they have high grades on either, but Spence is a potential stud in the pass rush and would be a good value here.

Free-agency effect: The depth of departures at wide receiver and in the secondary could shift the strategy for a "win now" team.

25. Pittsburgh Steelers

William Jackson III, CB, Houston

The Steelers are an improved secondary away from contending for a Super Bowl, and the addition of another young talent to go with (hopefully) a solid debut for Senquez Golson could help.

Free-agency effect: The Steelers won't have the flexibility to do much in free agency and will need to bolster the team through the draft.

26. Seattle Seahawks

Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech

Defensive line is going to be a need area, but Fuller becomes a value at this point, and the defensive line class in this draft is going to produce starters well into day three. Get the best player.

Free-agency effect: If Jeremy Lane departs this is a legit need area, so free agency will be something to watch.

27. Green Bay Packers

Kamalei Correa, OLB, Boise State

The Packers need weapons in the passing game, but with the top three wide receivers gone and a middling tight end class, getting a pass-rusher is never a bad option. Correa is an absolute blur off the edge.

Free-agency effect: If you know anything about the Packers, you know free agency isn't an area where they do much business. I doubt it changes anything with their draft strategy, in all seriousness.

28. Kansas City Chiefs

Jarran Reed, DL, Alabama

The Chiefs need to add impact talent on the interior of the defensive line, and I'm not sure there's a player who is consistently better stopping the run than Reed. He would be a good get here.

Free-agency effect: The Chiefs could see some turnover on defense, and I think they could draft heavily on that side regardless of what happens in free agency.

29. Arizona Cardinals

Emmanuel Ogbah, DE/OLB, Oklahoma State

The Cardinals need to add a pass-rusher -- look at how much they relied on Dwight Freeney late in the season -- and to get the supremely athletic Ogbah at this point would be rare in most years, but they could benefit from the glut of D-line talent in this class.

Free-agency effect: Nothing Arizona will be able to do in free agency will change the fact that it needs good young talent on the defensive line.

30. Carolina Panthers

Vonn Bell, S, Ohio State

The Panthers could look at either cornerback or safety here, but the way the board breaks in this instance getting the top safety would be a sensible value at No. 30.

Free-agency effect: Carolina is out of cap jail, but it won't exactly be winning bidding wars. If the Panthers get secondary help, maybe that pushes them toward a pass-rusher here. But it all depends on who is available.

31. Denver Broncos

Jason Spriggs, OT, Indiana

Spriggs is a great athlete who will need a little developmental work, but is the kind of guy who could thrive under Gary Kubiak in this system.

Free-agency effect: Denver is going to be in a retention battle, and you could see that factoring in here, particularly if the Broncos lose Malik Jackson.

Kiper's latest mock. I would love it if the top 5 was accurate come draft day as it would mean we get to choose between Bosa or Hargreaves (though Ramsey is the dream pick):

Paxton Lynch makes it out of the first round?

Other's I'd have in there might be Coleman, Whitehair and Kevin Dodd. Billing and Butler possible too.

I'd definitely take out Kendall fuller and Bell. I think there is at least 1/2 too many edge rushers.

Nkemdiche's interviews at the combine must have been so poor. From Matt Miller:
    — Ole Miss defensive tackle Robert Nkemdiche needed to nail his team interviews at the combine to quiet doubts about his off-field past. One team official I spoke to this week, who was in the room for Nkemdiche's interview, called it "the worst I've ever seen."

Jesus. :pac:

With some of the questions the interviewers ask it's hard to take anything from those interviews

Anyone for anothers Boards.ie mock draft this year? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

most definitely

phatkev wrote: »
    most definitely

Plus 1

• Advertisement

Always

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭tripperman

Yeah

Yeah. Have actually followed the prospects for once!

Great! I'll set up a thread now so we don't over-run this one. :)

Paully D wrote:
    Anyone for anothers Boards.ie mock draft this year?

I'd have a go
    Can't say I'll be the best at it but i'll try

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

again, amazes me how stupid these guys are, all they need to do is look at Johnny

again, reaffirms how spoilt & well covered these guys were in college, all they need to do is look at Johnny

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Stupid question but nfl draft doesnt operate like snake draft? Are the no.1 team first pick every round?

• Advertisement

Deco99 wrote: »
    Stupid question but nfl draft doesnt operate like snake draft? Are the no.1 team first pick every round?

Yeah, 1st overall is 33rd overall (32 teams total), 65th overall etc. So the higher you are is a major advantage.

Advertisement