Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 NFL Draft

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Ah there is a lot to like about Ramsey. Offers great positional value, athleticism, toughness & a really good attitude by all accounts. He is big enough to play a bit of hybrid LB/S as well as CB. Loves to tackle when you watch tape, the biggest knock on him I can see is that his hands are not as good as you want. As a top 3 guy, there is little not to like.

In terms of most overrated prospect take your pick from Wentz/Goff/Lynch. In no year are they 1st round talents, pure need driving their value.

Yeah but everyone recognises that Wentz, Goff and Lynch aren't first round talents whereas Ramsey is seen by many as the best player in this draft class. Too much stock is placed in measureables and highlight reels. On full game tape I don't like Ramsey's technique and positional awareness but he has good instinct to seek the ball but is prone to getting caught out for being far too aggressive. He has lots of highlight plays but you have to wonder how far his atheltic physique is bringing him.

glued wrote: »
    Yeah but everyone recognises that Wentz, Goff and Lynch aren't first round talents whereas Ramsey is seen by many as the best player in this draft class. Too much stock is placed in measureables and highlight reels. On full game tape I don't like Ramsey's technique and positional awareness but he has good instinct to seek the ball but is prone to getting caught out for being far too aggressive. He has lots of highlight plays but you have to wonder how far his atheltic physique is bringing him.

what? goff and wentz most definitely are first round talents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

what? goff and wentz most definitely are first round talents

Really? This is a poor QB class. The draft guys are ramping up these guys as doing so makes them money. In reality I don't see any of this class being franchise QBs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Really? This is a poor QB class. The draft guys are ramping up these guys as doing so makes them money. In reality I don't see any of this class being franchise QBs.

If the best QB in a given draft Trevor Siemian, he would be hyped up as a first round talent in fairness. I don't get around to watching nearly enough NCAA football so not commenting on those guys in particular, but there will never be a draft without hyped up 'first round QBs' regardless of where the talent level in the position is on that year.

i mean they will both be gone in the top 10 so they are first round talents :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

How many games have you seen these guys playing to be writing them off before even seeing them in the NFL?

Personally I've seen one Goff game but none of Lynch or Wentz or anyone else. Nowhere near enough to be making any such judgements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

To be fair, Memphis got as much TV coverage last year as they ever had. There was plenty of opportunity for people to see Lynch without having to stream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

To be fair, Memphis got as much TV coverage last year as they ever had. There was plenty of opportunity for people to see Lynch without having to stream.

It's also very easy to watch tape of prospects now, with Draft Breakdown making things especially accessible. As an example, they've got 10 games worth of tape on Lynch. Fantastic website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

glued wrote:

Been saying this for a while
    Thank god I'm not the only one

This is my first real draft experience and loving it thus far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

adrian522 wrote: »
    How many games have you seen these guys playing to be writing them off before even seeing them in the NFL?

Personally I've seen one Goff game but none of Lynch or Wentz or anyone else. Nowhere near enough to be making any such judgements.

I watch different players every morning on my commute. Its very easy to from an opinion really!

Only websites needed..

Individual players http://draftbreakdown.com/
    Full games http://noonkick.com/

brinty wrote: »
    Been saying this for a while
    Thank god I'm not the only one

This is my first real draft experience and loving it thus far

Wait for the night itself, hope you've got a team picked. There's nothing like the wait as the main guy your team needs remains on the board (especially I ally if he should have gone earlier) with 3 or so picks until you're up! :D There's a lot of overhyped nonsense too, but just treat it as popcorn fun. The best analysis of players I find comes after the draft anyway, since you know what teams and systems those players will be used in.

Personally I love the late fire rapid rounds though, and scouring to find out about the next nobody Ted Thompson has signed in Green Bay (along with the rest of the league too).

Don't treat it as gospel as the draft day 'winners' often have plenty of buses and vice versa. Thompson WILL make people scratch their heads on numerous occasions only to usually be vindicated down the road for exame. Cleveland also WILL get some exciting "sky high ceiling potential" players who will be out of the league before the end of their rookie deals. I'm just waiting for a live suicide on stage at some point when an A+++ talent gets drafted by the Browns, and it will happen in the next few years, I know it!

Billy86 wrote: »
    Wait for the night itself, hope you've got a team picked. There's nothing like the wait as the main guy your team needs remains on the board (especially I ally if he should have gone earlier) with 3 or so picks until you're up! :D There's a lot of overhyped nonsense too, but just treat it as popcorn fun. The best analysis of players I find comes after the draft anyway, since you know what teams and systems those players will be used in.

Personally I love the late fire rapid rounds though, and scouring to find out about the next nobody Ted Thompson has signed in Green Bay (along with the rest of the league too).

Don't treat it as gospel as the draft day 'winners' often have plenty of buses and vice versa. Thompson WILL make people scratch their heads on numerous occasions only to usually be vindicated down the road for exame. Cleveland also WILL get some exciting "sky high ceiling potential" players who will be out of the league before the end of their rookie deals. I'm just waiting for a live suicide on stage at some point when an A+++ talent gets drafted by the Browns, and it will happen in the next few years, I know it!

Agh I've been a cowboys fan for over 25 years billy (since the days of the triplets) but drifted away, but really getting back into my team since 2013. This is the first year where I've taken a real interest in college football to know who's there in the draft and who I'd taken given the options available. Listening to all of the shows on our website and enjoying the debates about prospects and who they'd take or not take as the case may be.
    Dane Brugler (thinks he's CBS) does a regular draft show every Friday of the off season with some Cowboys journalists which is really funny but gives some great insight into some of the lesser known talents.
    I think this year I might just book the Friday off work and crack open a few beers and watch it all unfold even after our pick at no 4, which I think we trade out off!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

its always the case tunsil will be jason peters, ramsey will be dion, wentz will be luck etc

in fairness i think a lot of it is comparing a guys style as opposed to talent (although the dion/ramsey thing still makes no sense)

I genuinely think Tunsil will be a pro bowl player by his second season. He seems so damn polished already.

Big contrast between himself and Stanley for me, who I'm really uncertain on.

Would agree that I'm not sure how Ramsey has seen himself jump to the number 1 overall conversation.

Myles Jack is the best player in this class and it's not even close imo.

Morrison J wrote: »

I agree 100% but not a hope In hell he gets picked first as tackle is more important. I think jak could end up a generational talent at his position when have we seen a guy that can line up against outside or slot receivers play safety blitz and play rb all at a high level he should be the player every top 10 team is dreaming about (apart from the Titans as getting a bookend for mariota would be huge)

I'd love to see what the jags could do with him and fowler coming back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I'm the opposite I think Jack is wildly overrated, but it's all about opinions

Morrison J wrote: »

I would think so too. Hopefully the knee injury is nothing.

When will we know more about Jaylon Smith?

Knex. wrote: »
    I would think so too. Hopefully the knee injury is nothing.

When will we know more about Jaylon Smith?

Isn't Jaylon Smith due a medical re check next week 14/15th April

On jack I think he's the best guy in this draft if his medicals come back clean and I'd take him at 4 four the cowboys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

From what i've seen Myles Jack is going to be a very good pro if put in the right scheme. Incredible athlete but not sure his football instincts are that great. His stats are poor and while that's not the be-all and end-all of assessing players i'd definitely be worried about it.

Huge upside but don't think he's the best player in the draft and i would see him as the potential to be a bust if he lands in the wrong situation.

For anyone interested here's a link to a Chargers blogger who is pretty good at player break down and his opinions on Jack, its different to most of the main draft guys
    Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Imo Joey Bosa is far and away the best player in this draft class. He is the most certain to succeed and it's incredible that a less than stellar combine(still a very good one) has people questioning his ability. He improved at his pro day but he still is being put down as a 3-6 range pick which is insane to me. He should be no.1 and there shouldn't even be a question mark about it. I would put him down as the best draft prospect since Andrew Luck.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Imo Joey Bosa is far and away the best player in this draft class. He is the most certain to succeed and it's incredible that a less than stellar combine(still a very good one) has people questioning his ability. He improved at his pro day but he still is being put down as a 3-6 range pick which is insane to me. He should be no.1 and there shouldn't even be a question mark about it. I would put him down as the best draft prospect since Andrew Luck.

Interesting. Would you agree with the Watt comparisons?

Although they are somewhat inevitable being that he is a highly regarded white defensive end, regardless of his playing style.

Day off put in for Friday. :D

Man, I can't wait for that weekend. Draft, draft and more draft. :pac:

Any others taking it off?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I'll watch on my 2nd screen as i do each year and when someone throws a dirty look..

I list out the ****e they watch...

- Masters
    - Transfer deadline day
    - Wimbledon
    - Anything with horse racing
    - Darts

I watch one thing per year mother****ers :pac:

Agh I've been a cowboys fan for over 25 years billy (since the days of the triplets) but drifted away, but really getting back into my team since 2013. This is the first year where I've taken a real interest in college football to know who's there in the draft and who I'd taken given the options available. Listening to all of the shows on our website and enjoying the debates about prospects and who they'd take or not take as the case may be.
    Dane Brugler (thinks he's CBS) does a regular draft show every Friday of the off season with some Cowboys journalists which is really funny but gives some great insight into some of the lesser known talents.
    I think this year I might just book the Friday off work and crack open a few beers and watch it all unfold even after our pick at no 4, which I think we trade out off!!!!
    OOOOHHH, sorry for sounding patronising then. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Knex. wrote: »
    Interesting. Would you agree with the Watt comparisons?

Although they are somewhat inevitable being that he is a highly regarded white defensive end, regardless of his playing style.
    I don't think those comparisons are fair to any player. I rated Watt coming out and thought he was a great prospect but he has far exceeded anything that people could have believed he was capable of.

I believe that Bosa will be Defensive Rookie of the year because he is that good. I think he will have a long and successful career and possibly get a couple of all-pro's. I don't think you could be any more positive than that about a player.

OOOOHHH, sorry for sounding patronising then. :p

hahaha
    no worries at all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭cosatron

do people here rate Maycock. I liked him when he first came on the scene, but he is now a parody of himself. Look at this beauty he came out with,
    .@MikeMayock: Paxton Lynch is a first-round talent, probably needs to sit for a year behind a veteran QB.

Christ, no one is going to spend a first round pick on a QB and let him sit on the bench for the year unless his Aaron Rodger sitting behind a HOF QB. I would really like if someone would be honest enough and say that there is no QB worthy of first round pick.

cosatron wrote: »
    do people here rate Maycock. I liked him when he first came on the scene, but he is now a parody of himself. Look at this beauty he came out with,
    .@MikeMayock: Paxton Lynch is a first-round talent, probably needs to sit for a year behind a veteran QB.

Christ, no one is going to spend a first round pick on a QB and let him sit on the bench for the year unless his Aaron Rodger sitting behind a HOF QB. I would really like if someone would be honest enough and say that there is no QB worthy of first round pick.

That makes no sense Rodgers was not what he is now coning out he compleatly changed his technique during those years. Teams should be absoloutly willing to let a first round qb sit if they believe he can be a franchise guy in a year or two.

I maintain if Rodgers went no.1 to San Francisco he would have been a bust

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Christ, no one is going to spend a first round pick on a QB and let him sit on the bench for the year

Why not? Nothing wrong with that at all. It probably is a big reason why Rodgers was/is so successful, not getting thrown in at the deep end before he was ready.

If you are picking in the bottom half of the first round you are probably not in desperate need for someone to start right away in any case.

That makes no sense Rodgers was not what he is now coning out he compleatly changed his technique during those years. Teams should be absoloutly willing to let a first round qb sit if they believe he can be a franchise guy in a year or two.

I maintain if Rodgers went no.1 to San Francisco he would have been a bust

No what would have happened is SF would have won every superbowl from 2005 until now. I've asked a lot of 49er fans and confirmed this to be a fact.

• Advertisement

All the Cowboys guys are saying theres no real top quality draftable QB
    that 4 weeks before the draft there's not even a consensus No1 quarter back from those there

adrian522 wrote: »
    No what would have happened is SF would have won every superbowl from 2005 until now. I've asked a lot of 49er fans and confirmed this to be a fact.

Well if it never happened it can't be a fact!!!!!
    Kinda contradicts itself???

Well if it never happened it can't be a fact!!!!!
    Kinda contradicts itself???

200_s.gif

I don't necessarily disagree with sitting a first round talent for a year, but Mayock is pretty far down the list of people who's opinions I enjoy reading. He rarely elaborates beyond cliches and well worn evaluations. Of course his behaviour on draft night might well colour my opinion on him.

Having said that, I'd have much more time for him than Matt Miller who has inexplicably forged a reputation as an expert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Philips Rivers was taken 4th overall and sat for 2..... YES 2 full yrs before getting the nod to start (he sat behind Brees).

I don't necessarily disagree with sitting a first round talent for a year, but Mayock is pretty far down the list of people who's opinions I enjoy reading. He rarely elaborates beyond clichÃ႒©s and well worn evaluations. Of course his behaviour on draft night might well colour my opinion on him.

Having said that, I'd have much more time for him than Matt Miller who has inexplicably forged a reputation as an expert.
    I think Mel kiper is the worst of the lit these days to be honest

sorry if my point came across wrong. recent history suggests that if teams are willing to invest first round pick on QB, there hoping to start him in his first season,
    2015-2 qb drafted in first round both starters.
    2014- 3 qb drafted all started in first season at some stage and Minnesota trading up to get Teddy B.
    2013- 1 QB drafted, manual got games with buffalo.
    2012- 4 QB drafted, all got starts.
    2011 4 QB drafted, all got starts.
    2010-1 QB drafted and Bradford played in first season.
    In 5 years teams have invested 15 picks on QB with only Luck, Newton and Bortles coming close to resembling a franchise Q.B, jury is still out on Teddy B.

:confused: i can do stats to in the last 5 years 10 qbs have been selected in the top 10. 8 are now starters for there teams and of the other two jake locker retired but could very well be starting if he was still playing...so always take a qb if you have a top 10 pick :D

with regards sitting a guy just because teams have not done it does not mean they won't it has happened in the past additionally an analyst saying they should be picked first round and say does not mean they think they will be sat it means this team should take this player and let him develop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭coco0981

I think it makes sense for someone like the Cardinals to draft a qb in the first round and let them sit for a year behind Palmer as he is 36 now. If they believe Cook or Lynch can be the answer in 2 years time then it's well worth a first rounder for a team at their level

• Advertisement

Don't rate anyone hired by the NFL tbh. Mayock, Jeremiah, Bucky Brooks all devoid of having individual opinions. All afraid to be too out there with an opinion. Better off looking elsewhere imo.

I wish Nate Silver & the 538 guys did a real in depth mock draft and analysis. They touch on some things, but never really go all in. Given their US election prediction history (called 2008 and 2012, at least one of which was apparently correct almost to the individual county), it would be REAL interesting to see how they would land.

What do people think of Hogan, the former Stanford QB? Him and cook are the most interesting prospects I think outside of the big 2 everyone is talking about.

:confused: i can do stats to in the last 5 years 10 qbs have been selected in the top 10. 8 are now starters for there teams and of the other two jake locker retired but could very well be starting if he was still playing...so always take a qb if you have a top 10 pick :D

with regards sitting a guy just because teams have not done it does not mean they won't it has happened in the past additionally an analyst saying they should be picked first round and say does not mean they think they will be sat it means this team should take this player and let him develop

And did 8 of the 10 sit behind a qb in their first year. No because they invested the first rounder in them with the intention of playing them. Which brings me back to my original point. Why waste a first rounder on qb just to leave him sitting behind qb. And with regards to Rodgers, tt always drafts the best available player and he must of thought all his xmas came at once when he fell to 24. And as arod is completely awesome he would have won at least 3 Super Bowls with that vic fangio defence:)

And as arod is completely awesome he would have won at least 3 Super Bowls with that vic fangio defence:)
    Shut up, shut up, SHUT UP!! :(:o

Shut up, shut up, SHUT UP!! :(:o

Lol. Are you looking forward to dom making a balls of things again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

some more chat this morning that the eagles are very keen on Wentz and are going to give a good deal for the titans to move down a few spots

Believe nothing at this time of year, teams are putting out rumours and counter rumours to try and get trades to happen and to try and make teams panic into making moves.

Best case scenario for Titans is the Browns get spooked and trade up to number 1 to get their QB, while Tennessee grab their guy at 2, and likely bag an additional first round pick for next year (or a second at worst).

Be a great coup if they could pull it off.

yep, rumour is the browns think the cost is too much(33rd overall)

An interesting few weeks anyway

PFF have a 3 round mock draft up at the moment. I won't copy all of it (just the 1st round) but it's interesting reading and a little bit different to the usual ones.

As an aside, they absolutely LOVE DeForest Buckner (article below):

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/02/23/draft-why-pff-is-obsessed-with-deforest-buckner/

And they also think Elliott may be the best and most complete running back prospect to come out of college since Adrian Peterson (article below):

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/03/08/draftezekiel-elliott-is-the-most-complete-rb-prospect-since-adrian-peterson/

And an article on why Jack isn't the perfect NFL prospect - but is pretty close:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/05/draft-myles-jack-isnt-a-perfect-nfl-prospect-but-hes-pretty-close/
    Tennessee Titans – Jalen Ramsey, CB, Florida State
    Back in Mock Draft 4.0, Ramsey grabbed the top spot and he remains the pick for the Titans. He’s an excellent all-around player, capable of playing underneath zone coverage while providing the best run support in the draft of any cornerback. The upside is what separates Ramsey. He has the size and athleticism to develop into a top man-coverage corner, but he’s not there yet, and at worst, he’s a versatile zone/man corner that’s also capable of playing free safety. Ramsey gives the Titans a lot of options on defense.

Cleveland Browns – Jared Goff, QB, Cal
    The further we get into the draft process and the more we slice and dice the numbers, the better Goff looks. From pocket presence to quick decision making to his accuracy, Goff is the top quarterback in the class and he’s the best option for Cleveland to start the rebuilding process.

San Diego Chargers – DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon
    Not much has changed with this pick either as perhaps the draft’s most perfect marriage remains the same. San Diego is weak on the defensive line and Buckner is an ideal fit for their 3-4 as he can rush the passer (best in the nation among interior defensive linemen in 2015) and play the run (ninth in the nation).

Dallas Cowboys – Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State
    Bosa may very well be the best player in the draft, but scheme fit and quarterback needs drop him to fourth. The best edge defender against the run the last two years, Bosa also posted first and second place finishes in our pass rushing grades. He will be an every-down force at the next level.

Jacksonville Jaguars – Myles Jack, LB, UCLA
    The draft continues its theme of playmaking options on the defense with our top coverage linebacker from 2014. Before his injury early in 2015, Jack showed improvement against the run as he was jacking up blockers and disrupting opposing running attacks. His coverage versatility, athleticism and willingness against the run make him a future superstar candidate.

Baltimore Ravens – Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss
    The draft thins out after Tunsil, so the Ravens have to pounce on the top offensive tackle prospect. In limited time in 2015, Tunsil turned away an impressive slate of top edge rushers while run blocking as well as any offensive tackle in the country.

San Francisco 49ers – Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State
    There’s a lot to like about Wentz, yet so many question marks. He’s intriguing enough to take in the first, given the big arm that can stretch the field vertically. Timing and downfield accuracy on certain throws are reasons for concern, but Wentz’s upside is immense after a strong grading effort in 2015 and so little experience.

Philadelphia Eagles – Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville
    Building through the defensive line is never a bad idea, and Rankins adds more depth up front for the Eagles to pair with Fletcher Cox and Bennie Logan. Rankins can play head up on blockers or penetrate gaps while his two-year grading is as good as any defensive lineman in the class (second overall in the nation in 2014, 16th in 2015).

Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida
    Movement skills and scheme versatility make Hargreaves an attractive option. He took a step back in 2015 after posting the second-best coverage grade in the country in 2014, but few corners can play multiple coverages and mirror receivers, and he adds a much-needed playmaker to the Tampa Bay secondary.

New York Giants – Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson
    A powerful edge player, Lawson had the second-best grade against the run behind Bosa while getting after the quarterback with the 17th-best pass rush grade in the nation. Even with the signing of Olivier Vernon, there is always room for quality edge rushers, especially with Jason Pierre-Paul on a one-year contract.

Chicago Bears – Chris Jones, DT, Mississippi State
    Few interior defensive linemen possess the size and burst of Jones, who posted our second-best pass rushing grade while producing at an incredible level in just over 1,000 snaps the last two years. He adds even more depth to the defensive overhaul in Chicago.

New Orleans Saints – William Jackson III, CB, Houston
    Any defensive help will please the Saints, and Jackson may be the best pure cornerback in the draft. The nation’s second-best coverage grade paired with size, speed, and movement skills make Jackson a well-rounded corner with great upside.

Miami Dolphins – Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State
    With Lamar Miller moving on, the Dolphins add Elliott to their backfield mix to join last year’s fifth-rounder, Jay Ajayi. Elliott is a three-down player that can run in any scheme, pass protect and catch the ball out of the backfield.

Oakland Raiders – Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor
    Coleman brings so much explosiveness to an offense, it’s been tempting to take him since around pick No. 8. The Raiders added Amari Cooper in the first round last year and they had a rejuvenated Michael Crabtree, but adding another big-play threat with separation skills could make them one of the most dangerous offenses in the league. Coleman was averaging an other-worldly 5.41 yards per route before injuries at the quarterback position slowed him down.

Los Angeles Rams – Josh Doctson, WR, TCU
    The Rams are in need of a quarterback, but there are no viable options at this point in the draft. Instead they add one of the best playmakers in Doctson, who may be the draft’s best deep threats (third in nation in deep passing yards with 553) due to his outstanding body control and ball skills.

Detroit Lions – Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame
    Need and value match up here as Stanley is one of the best pass protectors in the draft and Detroit is thin at offensive tackle. He has some question marks in the run game, but Stanley can step right in and play right tackle initially before a possible move to the left after Riley Reiff’s contract is up at the end of the year.

Atlanta Falcons – Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia
    Pass rushing has been an issue for the Falcons for a few years and Floyd will pair with last year’s first-round pick, Vic Beasley, to provide juice off the edge. Floyd adds even more versatility with his experience playing an off-the-ball linebacker role last year at Georgia where he showed competent in coverage while grading well against the run and as a pass rusher.

Indianapolis Colts – Cody Whitehair, G, Kansas State
    Next in line as a tackle to guard conversion, Whitehair has posted back-to-back monster grades as Kansas State’s left tackle, and he’ll kick inside to bring a strong run blocking presence to the Colts’ offensive line.

Buffalo Bills – Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State
    One of the best fits in the draft, Conklin is a powerful run blocker best used in a power scheme and that’s exactly how Buffalo wants to play offensively. Conklin is no slouch in pass protection either, allowing only 25 pressures on 849 snaps the last two years.

New York Jets – Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson
    Alexander excels in man coverage — exactly what the Jets love to play behind their blitz-heavy scheme. His movement skills make him a perfect corner to match up with the shifty receivers from their division rival, the New England Patriots.

Washington Redskins – Reggie Ragland, LB, Alabama
    Another strong fit in this draft, Washington is weak in the middle and Ragland brings a sound run-stopping presence with the added bonus of pass rushing ability. He’s solid, yet limited in coverage.

Houston Texans – Sterling Shepard, WR, Oklahoma
    With Brock Osweiler taking over at quarterback, it’s time to load up on playmakers. Shepard is one of the class’ best route runners and he posted the second-best receiving grade in the nation while dominating from the slot. He can also do some damage on the outside with his shiftiness and strong ball skills.

Minnesota Vikings – Michael Thomas, WR, Ohio State
    Few receivers in this class can create separation as well as Thomas and he immediately adds a much-needed intermediate threat to the Vikings offense. He suffered through inconsistent quarterback play at Ohio State but his route running will help QB Teddy Bridgewater immediately.

Cincinnati Bengals – Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama
    Perhaps the most technically sound interior defensive lineman in the draft, Reed is stout at the point of attack and he can disrupt blockers and make plays. He posted the second-best grade against the run in 2015 while leading the nation with a run stop percentage of 13.4 percent.

Pittsburgh Steelers – Karl Joseph, S, West Virginia
    One of the most intriguing defensive backs in the draft, Joseph was limited to only 240 snaps last season, but he was outstanding, making plays from a variety of coverage looks and dropping the hammer in the run game. That versatility makes him a viable option to play free or strong safety at the next level.

Seattle Seahawks – Shilique Calhoun, DE, Michigan State
    Seattle rarely turns down top pass rushing options and with Bruce Irvin moving on to the Oakland Raiders, they re-load with Calhoun, who posted the nation’s best pass rushing grade in 2014 and second-best mark last season. He has his struggles in the run game, but they can ease him into the mix as a pass-rush specialist.

Green Bay Packers – Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor
    Green Bay adds some bulk up front in Billings, who is fantastic when asked to play straight ahead and beat up the man right in front of him. There’s some work to be done to polish up his game, but Billings can push the pocket and clog the middle in the run game (No. 10 run grade in the nation in 2015).

Kansas City Chiefs – Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State
    No team played more man coverage than the Chiefs last season, and with Sean Smith moving on to the Oakland Raiders, Apple is a natural replacement. He struggles with zone concepts, but he can match receivers extremely well in press man coverage –now he just needs to do a better job of finding the ball and making plays to maximize his potential. His size and speed make for a good fit in Kansas City.

Arizona Cardinals – Noah Spence, OLB, Eastern Kentucky
    Spence is one of the draft’s wild cards as his off-field issues could drop him quite a bit, but with a thin edge class, his value soars from an on-the-field standpoint. He dominated the Senior Bowl week off the edge and despite concerns about his work in the run game, he should contribute immediately as a pass-rush specialist.

Carolina Panthers – Jonathan Bullard, DE/DT, Florida
    Last year’s top-graded interior run defender has some position versatility at the next level, as Bullard could play base defensive end while kicking inside to rush the passer. He’s excellent at recognizing and defeating blocks and while his pass rushing has been merely good, he has the athleticism and power to make a jump in the next few years.

Denver Broncos – Hunter Henry, TE, Arkansas
    The sure-handed Henry didn’t drop a pass in 2015 and he has the size and speed to stretch the seam in Denver’s offense. He posted the top receiving grade among the nation’s tight ends last season and he immediately becomes Denver’s top receiving option at the position.

I've been working on a mock draft during.... emmm.... "down time" (;)) at work this week. Have tried to be consistent with real life tendencies - i.e. Quarterbacks going ahead of where their talent should be drafted, and particular teams that tend to favour certain college programs and conferences.

Through 4 rounds, and have found a couple of things. A lot of teams are in need of inside linebackers, and there are very few prospects I'd be comfortable with drafting with a top 100-ish pick. Have found Denver and Chicago particularly difficult to draft for - but obviously that's given the picks I've made and who's available when their picks roll around.

I had Chicago spending a third rounder on Shawn Oakman too, but obviously that will change given today's developments. I didn't have anyone being able to spend a luxury flyer on Jaylon Smith just yet either. Forgot to e-mail the spreadsheet to my personal address so won't be able to get to the last 3 rounds until next week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement