Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 NFL Draft

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Paully cheers I love PFF analysis - the way they grade pressures etc is questionable however they know their stuff and their analysis is usually an excellent read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I've been working on a mock draft during.... emmm.... "down time" (;)) at work this week. Have tried to be consistent with real life tendencies - i.e. Quarterbacks going ahead of where their talent should be drafted, and particular teams that tend to favour certain college programs and conferences.

Through 4 rounds, and have found a couple of things. A lot of teams are in need of inside linebackers, and there are very few prospects I'd be comfortable with drafting with a top 100-ish pick. Have found Denver and Chicago particularly difficult to draft for - but obviously that's given the picks I've made and who's available when their picks roll around.

I had Chicago spending a third rounder on Shawn Oakman too, but obviously that will change given today's developments. I didn't have anyone being able to spend a luxury flyer on Jaylon Smith just yet either. Forgot to e-mail the spreadsheet to my personal address so won't be able to get to the last 3 rounds until next week.

Any chance of posting it? I'd love to read it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

one of the lads on a titans board i'm on spoke with Gruden last night.

Interesting comments on Tunsil and Ramsey
    I had dinner at Bob's Steakhouse last night and sat next to Jon Gruden, who was more than willing to talk football (and politics, golf, Nashville traffic and whatever). He was in town for a speaking engagement. Likes Mariota a lot but says if we don't get an Oline that can pass protect, he's not going to last very long. Said the Miami game last year was painful to watch and pretty much got Whiz fired. He does not like Tunsil. His remark was if you're a great offensive tackle in the SEC, you don't go to Ole Miss. Questions his character/heart and thinks he's not that serious about football. Likes Conklin out of Mich. State. Plays with an edge and will knock the crap out of you. Says that's the guy Mariota needs.

Likes Goff and likes Cook as QB prospects. Thinks Lynch is intriguing but a little goofy. Won't make eye contact with you. Wentz has a lot of question marks.

Doesn't like the idea of drafting Ramsey. Says there's no guarantee he can play safety in the NFL. More of a hybrid player.

Is a Tampa Bay Lightning fan. Loves NHL playoffs.

Would take the right head coaching job if it came along but depends on who the owner is. Wants to work for a serious football GUY (like Jerry Jones). Not a billionaire who's playing with money they didn't earn. Hmmmm.

Great guy. Gave me his SuperBowl ring to put on for a cell phone pic with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Paully D wrote: »
    Any chance of posting it? I'd love to read it.

Was planning on it when it's finished, but as I said I don't have the spreadsheet at home here - left it on the work computer! Put nice long explanations as to why for the picks too. Probably the most effort I've ever put into anything at work :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Was planning on it when it's finished, but as I said I don't have the spreadsheet at home here - left it on the work computer! Put nice long explanations as to why for the picks too. Probably the most effort I've ever put into anything at work :pac:

Good to know your employers are paying you to do something useful :pac:

one of the lads on a titans board i'm on spoke with Gruden last night.

Interesting comments on Tunsil and Ramsey

I love the idea of Gruden absolutely ripping into prospects off-camera :D

"I love this kid...."

*Cut to commercials*

"...as a server at Chipotle. Shít at football though."

Rumours the Jets want the number 1 pick

Good to be in demand :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Rumours the Jets want the number 1 pick

Good to be in demand :cool:

Three or four teams want one of the top 2 QBs - there could be a bidding war.

I just saw that D'Brickashaw Ferguson retired. Tunsil and Stanley will be gone for sure, but it will be interesting to see if they select one of Decker/Conklin/Spriggs at #20 now.

One of the more reliable Titans beat writers has said conversations have taken place with the 49'ers for the 1st round pick

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Just don't see it from SF to be honest. Trent loves his draft picks and cant see him giving up a 2nd and 3rd or a future first to move up. To be honest I'm not convinced that a QB will be selected by SF in the first round at at all.
    I'd see it as more likely they draft a QB on day 2.

When you really look at the prospects available in this draft, there is going to be so much value on defense from day 2 onwards.

When you really look at the prospects available in this draft, there is going to be so much value on defense from day 2 onwards.

D-tackle and safety in particular are stacked

Inside the Film Room with Jared Goff:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/04/12/jared-goff-california-film-study-nfl-draft

As an aside, the more I look at him, the more I think he's actually quite comfortably the best QB in the draft. If I have to take a QB early, he's the one I'd definitely go for (though for me none are worth a 1st round pick in an ideal world).

Inside the Film Room with Jared Goff:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/04/12/jared-goff-california-film-study-nfl-draft

As an aside, the more I look at him, the more I think he's actually quite comfortably the best QB in the draft. If I have to take a QB early, he's the one I'd definitely go for (though for me none are worth a 1st round pick in an ideal world).

He looks outstanding moving in the pocket and he's accurate they alone will make him at least a consistent nfl starter I think.....unless he goes to the Browns

Schefter saying he's confident the titans will be trading their pick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Lads
    With all the talk of the following teams - Titans, Browns and Cowboys looking to trade out of their pick in the upcoming draft -
    the fact there's no consensus on who the top five picks will be
    That there's no clear #1 quarter back
    - does that not show how poor this class is? Or is this normal

As I say this is my first year with some knowledge of the college football season and the run up to the draft, but looking at the last couple of years
    2012 - everyone knew Luck was the #1 pick
    2014 - Clowney would go #1
    2015 - everyone knew that Winston and Mariotta would go 1 and 2

Or maybe I'm reading into things too much and everything will clear up in the next two weeks.

On a side note medicals today for some of the players with injuries. I'd say a lot of teams are waiting for news on Myles Jack before setting their boards up???? I know the cowboys are one of those teams for sure and if he gets cleared we'll not trade out of number 4

i think so brinty, there's a lot of uncertainty about taking a QB i think.

Tunsil was out for dinner with the titans brass ahead of his visit today

So folks whats everyones ritual for draft night???

I've requested the Friday off work so I'm staying up, think I'll get in a few beers, have a few 12 year old whiskys in the press, lots of popcorn, chocolate sitting on the couch in my #84 Joey Galloway Cowboys jersey with the dog looking at me and thinking he's a lunatic....

Might do the same for the Friday night too.....

• Advertisement

nfl.com streams on my monitor in the office,

Have one at home so will pop it up on that aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm not going to watch it for the first time since I don't know when. Patriots have no pick which imo is ridiculous and I just feel that it's so unfair that I couldn't look at the pos commissioner hugging it out with all those rookies.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

On holidays next week so I'll probably have to settle for checking updates on twitter or whatever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'll catch the start of Thursday, at least until the Giants, I would think. Away then Friday morning so will likely have to catch up on the rest on the Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭tripperman

I'll watch Thursday night to see what happens at the end of the first do we trade back in for someone, Friday not sure, I might get to watch Saturday again this year, anyone know if sky are sending the pain jim whyte over this year to the draft

tripperman wrote: »
    I'll watch Thursday night to see what happens at the end of the first do we trade back in for someone, Friday not sure, I might get to watch Saturday again this year, anyone know if sky are sending the pain jim whyte over this year to the draft

oh I'd say they might...

just out of interest, the draft will be on BT sports pack??? or NFL Website.
    If its on Sky only I better make some plans!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

brinty wrote: »
    oh I'd say they might...

just out of interest, the draft will be on BT sports pack??? or NFL Website.
    If its on Sky only I better make some plans!!!

It's on Sky not BT sports. You'll prob get the picks on the NFL site but no idea on the streaming side of things. As long as you have Boards.ie though you are sorted, you won't get better analysis anywhere else :D

tripperman wrote: »

i'll probably know this next week so will post if theres any special sky stuff happening

f******** sky
    grrrrrrr
    Now I'm very mad!!!!!

You'll get a ban for that.

adrian522 wrote: »
    You'll get a ban for that.

so true :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

According to Peter King the Titans have traded the first pick to the Rams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭tripperman

Heli must be gone celebrating now, do you like this trade?

Jesus that's a lot bit of an rg3 trade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Jesus that's a lot bit of an rg3 trade

And as the Rams were involved in that and saw how it worked out, I'm surprised they're comfortable with being on the other side of the deal this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Who would the Rams be moving up for? Their defense is very good, and while they could use a replacement for Janoris Jenkins this would be more than a bit of an overreaction to get Ramsey. Tunsil looks class and would make sense, but would it make sense to invest so heavily in protecting the blindside of the franchise passer you don't even have? Doubt it's a Bosa or Jack because the Rams have such a solid defensive unit in place already. Goff or Wentz are the most likely possibilities and the most likely, but is there really anything about either of them that would justify such a big trade up? Also, at 15 one of them could well have still been available, and a trade to somewhere between 6-10 could have good as guaranteed it for a much lower cost.

It's an odd one as far a the Rams are concerned. But if they go for one of the QBs and it turns out to be a good pick, that offense will be looking pretty dynamic pretty quick - especially once they fire Fisher.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Goff or Wentz are the most likely possibilities and the most likely, but is there really anything about either of them that would justify such a big trade up? Also, at 15 one of them could well have still been available, and a trade to somewhere between 6-10 could have good as guaranteed it for a much lower cost.

That is only true if they are happy with either one. If they feel that Goff (or Wentz) is a potential superstar then you have to move up ahead of Cleveland.

Question in my head is if LA takes the guy Cleveland wanted, will they simply take the other QB or will they try to trace down with somebody (e.g Philadephia or SF)

I think the good news for SF is that this means (probably) that one of Bosa, Jack,Ramsey,Buckener falls to number 7.

Well hard knocks have there star

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Well hard knocks have there star

They won't have too many rookies for the funny haircuts hazing montage...

Wonder what the price for the Browns pick at 2, would be in comparison to Titans at 1.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/720599430320283648

That's a lot to give up. They still need an OL, TE, WR on offense alone. Whichever QB they draft will be lucky to not end up shellshocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Chargers should be happy anyway. They will likely get one of the best two players in the draft now at number 3.

• Advertisement

So that goff and wentz gone one and 2
    Do the Chargers take Tunsil??? if not do the cowboys??? or where will he fall too???

Changes nothing for Dallas, Lynch is their QB of choice so they're still looking at their primary target (Ramsey, Elliott, Jack or Bosa) at #4 unless they trade out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

So that goff and wentz gone one and 2
    Do the Chargers take Tunsil??? if not do the cowboys??? or where will he fall too???

Changes nothing for Dallas, Lynch is their QB of choice so they're still looking at their primary target (Ramsey, Elliott, Jack or Bosa) at #4 unless they trade out...

Chargers had Tunsil in for a visit earlier this week and after he left Nkemdiche his teammate arrived next day. I'm hoping if QBs go 1 & 2 that we go Tunsil at #3.

adrian522 wrote: »
    That is only true if they are happy with either one. If they feel that Goff (or Wentz) is a potential superstar then you have to move up ahead of Cleveland.

Question in my head is if LA takes the guy Cleveland wanted, will they simply take the other QB or will they try to trace down with somebody (e.g Philadephia or SF)

I think the good news for SF is that this means (probably) that one of Bosa, Jack,Ramsey,Buckener falls to number 7.
    Well I guess, personally I'm just not massively sold on either from what I have read or seen. They both could be good, even pro bowlers, don't get me wrong... but I just see them reaching that Stafford/Cutler/Flacco type of level at best, rather than being Rodgers' or even Lucks or Wilsons. My boss is a huge NFL fan and made a good point that they're likely trying to make a big stamp on their new market and generate local excitement with a #1 overall QB. Maybe they're really sold on one of them (and maybe they'll even be proven right there) but for me, I'm not massively sold on it at all.

More or less all the teams from around 3-8 though as you said, should be delighted.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Well I guess, personally I'm just not massively sold on either from what I have read or seen. They both could be good, even pro bowlers, don't get me wrong... but I just see them reaching that Stafford/Cutler/Flacco type of level at best, rather than being Rodgers' or even Lucks or Wilsons. My boss is a huge NFL fan and made a good point that they're likely trying to make a big stamp on their new market and generate local excitement with a #1 overall QB. Maybe they're really sold on one of them (and maybe they'll even be proven right there) but for me, I'm not massively sold on it at all.

More or less all the teams from around 3-8 though as you said, should be delighted.

If they get a guy that standard, along with Gurley, and can manage to sort a line out before the QB is shellshocked, then its likely a good trade for me. You can win a Super Bowl with that, especially when you look at the other side of the ball and see Donald, Quinn, Ogletree etc.

Knex. wrote: »
    If they get a guy that standard, along with Gurley, and can manage to sort a line out before the QB is shellshocked, then its likely a good trade for me. You can win a Super Bowl with that, especially when you look at the other side of the ball and see Donald, Quinn, Ogletree etc.

Oh completely, and like I've said a few times before I don't get to watch all too much college football so my opinions of draft eligible players are not as valid as some, but my major issue is that neither QB really strikes me as worth it. If they are well then great, but I just don't see it panning out like they seem to think it will, given the investment.

If that trade is for Wentz, then I'm pretty confident it will go down as one of the worst decisions in recent memory. I can't believe this.

If that trade is for Wentz, then I'm pretty confident it will go down as one of the worst decisions in recent memory. I can't believe this.

id normally agree but given how blake bortles went its hard to say. Wentz has the potential to be franchise guy and particularly to a team with as much young talent as the rams that could be valuable.

the rg3 trade for example is hilariously skewed in hindsight. or the sammy watkins trade its hard to say that this is bad until we actually see what he is and what is available at 15.

also 2 first rounders as opposed to 3 is big

I wouldn't be labelling Bortles as a franchise QB yet, but that's just my take on it. He still looks quite rough around the edges, even when compared to Carr, for example.

All I'm saying is, it's a lot for a one-read FCS quarterback who's known nothing but relative great offensive line play.

I like Wentz as a 2nd or 3rd rounder, and I've liked him for a while. But the bounty the Rams have given up is outrageous.

• Advertisement

Rumours a top CB from the sec has failed a drug test . Rumours are his hargreaves

Advertisement