Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 NFL Draft

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Rumours a top CB from the sec has failed a drug test . Rumours are his hargreaves

Oh no, the greatest corner prospect of all time. What a shame :p

Knex. wrote: »
    I wouldn't be labelling Bortles as a franchise QB yet, but that's just my take on it. He still looks quite rough around the edges, even when compared to Carr, for example.

Jeez, 4,400 yards, 35td's to 18 int's (pretty much tied our QB for yards and TD's)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

This came up yesterday, the guy who claims he heard it has like 4k followers on Twitter. No one else is reporting it. Also, when Gregory failed, it came out straight away - not sure why there would be such a delay in this being reported. Hargreaves has also never had any off field issues at Florida - no rumblings of drugs or anything. If true then he's an idiot, but I'm sceptical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Jeez, 4,400 yards, 35td's to 18 int's (pretty much tied our QB for yards and TD's)

I know, but I actually watched him a few times and just felt a little uncomfortable with him. Feel like he had a ton of throws that should have been INTs too, and got lucky with.

I am looking forward to seeing him next year, but I am still sceptical, although perhaps wrongly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

id normally agree but given how blake bortles went its hard to say. Wentz has the potential to be franchise guy and particularly to a team with as much young talent as the rams that could be valuable.

the rg3 trade for example is hilariously skewed in hindsight. or the sammy watkins trade its hard to say that this is bad until we actually see what he is and what is available at 15.

also 2 first rounders as opposed to 3 is big

The think is he's still probably the 3rd best QB from that draft. The Raiders got Khalil Mack and Derek Carr, Vikings got Athony Barr and Teddy Bridgewater. If the Jaguars skipped on Bortles then could have had one from Mack, Barr, Watkins, Mike Evans, Oddell Beckham Jnr or Aaron Donald to name the obvious choices and Derek Carr or simply traded above Vikings to get Bridgewater. Bortles could well have dropped to them in the second round.

While QB's are very important there are very few elite level QB's who can carry a team and I don't think Bortles was/will ever be in that league and in that case using a top 5 pick on him is a huge risk.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    I know, but I actually watched him a few times and just felt a little uncomfortable with him. Feel like he had a ton of throws that should have been INTs too, and got lucky with.

I am looking forward to seeing him next year, but I am still sceptical, although perhaps wrongly.

id put all that down to him being a rookie to be honest

Augme wrote: »
    The think is he's still probably the 3rd best QB from that draft. The Raiders got Khalil Mack and Derek Carr, Vikings got Athony Barr and Teddy Bridgewater. If the Jaguars skipped on Bortles then could have had one from Mack, Barr, Watkins, Mike Evans, Oddell Beckham Jnr or Aaron Donald to name the obvious choices and Derek Carr or simply traded above Vikings to get Bridgewater. Bortles could well have dropped to them in the second round.

While QB's are very important there are very few elite level QB's who can carry a team and I don't think Bortles was/will ever be in that league and in that case using a top 5 pick on him is a huge risk.

That's very strange logic are the colts fools for taking luck because they could have had kueckly and Wilson in the second?

A qb does not have to be elite. If you can get a good starting qb he's good value at any pick.

Take the jets for example who would help them more next year Kahlil mack or Ryan Fitzpatrick

Jalon smith apparently will miss one year and is then expected to be back to full health. If that is the vas a mid to late 1st rounder is well worth it. If he drops to the 2nd the Titans have to take him surely they won't win tho year anyway and could end up getting a top 5 player

I doubt it's as simple as him missing a year and then back to like nothing happened. Be surprised if we see him taken in the top 3 rounds.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Jalon smith apparently will miss one year and is then expected to be back to full health. If that is the vas a mid to late 1st rounder is well worth it. If he drops to the 2nd the Titans have to take him surely they won't win tho year anyway and could end up getting a top 5 player

Seems his injury has nerve damage and some people are saying he could be the next lattimore.

There's also some concern around Myles jack and how healthy he is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

That's very strange logic are the colts fools for taking luck because they could have had kueckly and Wilson in the second?

A qb does not have to be elite. If you can get a good starting qb he's good value at any pick.

Take the jets for example who would help them more next year Kahlil mack or Ryan Fitzpatrick

Well no because Luck was an elite top 5 pick based on skill level, talent and potential. The Colts didnt reach for him. Bortles was probably a top 20-40 guy who simply got massively elevated because he was a QB.

I'd rather Kahil Mack. Broncos showed last year that with an elite defense and nothing at QB you can be a great team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭kev_s88

I'm delighted that we have Bortles as our franchise QB. Bortles has a big set of balls on him which Carr or Bridgewater havnt displayed so far in their careers. He's not afraid to make the big throws. And while yes they dont always come off and he does throw a lot of picks, he throws enough TD's to make up for that. Easily the most exciting QB from that draft, and I still believe that with the team surrounding him he has the best chance out of them all to become a true franchise QB

Definitely a bit of a skewed Jags' fan view ha :D

Ive been very disappointed with Bridgewater to date, he has had one or two flashes but overall has yet to convince that he is anything resembling a franchise QB. I know the situation (HOF RB & top 10 D) means he is not asked to do much but I have been unimpressed (was a big advocate of him going 1 overall that year). I would much rather have Bortles or Carr at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

RE: Bortles. It's worth taking a deep dive into his numbers. A lot of his stats look good because they're put up in the 4th quarter/garbage time with the Jaguars getting blown out. For example, over 40% of his TD's and 35% of his yards have come in that period.

He has shown flashes for sure but I'd be very, very cautious on him becoming a franchise QB as things stand. I would scarcely be getting excited about him yet if I were a Jaguars fan.

After the Blaine Gabbert / Chad Henne disaster, I think we can forgive them for being a bit smitten with Bortles :)

The fact that the Rams have made this trade without even being fully sure who they're going to take says it all really. :rolleyes:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2016/story/_/id/15218939/los-angeles-rams-meet-jared-goff-carson-wentz-ahead-nfl-draft
    The Rams, who acquired the No. 1 overall selection from the Tennessee Titans in a blockbuster trade Thursday, still are leaning toward using the pick on Goff, the source told Schefter, but want to meet with both QBs and debate the decision before making a choice.

A team source told Schefter earlier this week that one reason the Rams made this deal now is to give the team "two weeks to debate between Goff and Wentz. You can make a convincing case for both. Both are going to be good."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Paully D wrote: »
    The fact that the Rams have made this trade without even being fully sure who they're going to take says it all really. :rolleyes:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2016/story/_/id/15218939/los-angeles-rams-meet-jared-goff-carson-wentz-ahead-nfl-draft

That is laughable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

if they dont know who they are going to pick it seems mental.

If you are giving up that much you better have a clear clear winner of that QB battle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

No chance the Rams don't know which one they are picking... they don't need to let on until late in the process or 'when they are on the clock' but you can be sure they know who they prefer.

• Advertisement

Really enjoyed that Gruden Camp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

They are waiting on Wentz's Gruden QB Camp to come out so they compare to Goff's before they make their decision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Hazys wrote: »
    They are waiting on Wentz's Gruden QB Camp to come out so they compare to Goff's before they make their decision

The real tell-tale sign is the emphasis on the 'L' he puts into the word 'Love'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Ive been very disappointed with Bridgewater to date, he has had one or two flashes but overall has yet to convince that he is anything resembling a franchise QB. I know the situation (HOF RB & top 10 D) means he is not asked to do much but I have been unimpressed (was a big advocate of him going 1 overall that year). I would much rather have Bortles or Carr at this point.

BW was pressurised on more of his dropbacks (47%), than any other QB in the league last year by a distance. It can partly explain why he didn't make the expected jump from year 1 to 2, as well as a below average group of recievers. He holds onto the ball too long and his deep ball needs work. Confident he'll slot in as a comfortable above average QB for the next decade however. Carr has a better arm, but I prefer Teddy's decision making and think he's more clutch. It's close between the two. Wouldn't dream of having Bortles ahead of him

I would take Carr ahead of the two of them, without any hesitation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Irish time, when does the draft start next week?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thursday night/Friday morning at 1am

Jesus Eagles reportedly trade up to two giving the Browns 5 picks including no8 and next years first I feel a bit sick now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

This draft is nuts. They must see something none of the media analysts do.

Browns get a 1,3,4 this year and a 1,2 next year Eagles get the numbe 2 and a 4th this year not liking that at all

Presume it's a QB they are after and not Tunsil?

Also why not wait until draft night and who la takes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

RGIII is very happy right now.

adrian522 wrote: »

Apparently we don't care give a lot of our cap to two guys and then take whever the Rams don't want in the draft yay for us

adrian522 wrote: »

Maybe the rams have secretly told the eagles who they intend to take at no 1 overall.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Maybe the rams have secretly told the eagles who they intend to take at no 1 overall.

Why would they though

Why would they though

I don't know but obviously within the nfl the rams have more or less made their decision and the eagles feel they wanted a QB of the future.

The trade is confirmed.

Imagine giving up your 3rd and 4th round picks this year along with your 1st rounder next year and your second rounder in 2018 to jump from #8 to #2 and take Carson Wentz.

Jesus ****ing wept.

"We want to get into a position where we can compete every year" - Howie Roseman

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    "We want to get into a position where we can compete every year" - Howie Roseman

For the #1 overall pick?

Itssoeasy is right they definetly know who the Rams are taking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

The trade is confirmed.

Imagine giving up your 3rd and 4th round picks this year along with your 1st rounder next year and your second rounder in 2018 to jump from #8 to #2 and take Carson Wentz.

Jesus ****ing wept.

Why not be accurate, they also get a conditional 4th.

I'm not happy and we gave up way too much imo. The one area where I buy the logic is that the Eagles have had 2 picks inside the top 10 since they drafted McNabb. With a division likely to be in limbo for a few years (Eli getting old, Romo getting old, Cousins being meh) and no real standout qb in next years class either that if you feel that either of these guys are a potential franchise qb then it's going to cost even more to move up to find that guy who you can win it all with.

Not happy but I see some logic to it.

Hopefully its Wentz and tbh I'm fairly confident it is him.

Also they have another 3rd this year which somewhat softens the blow.

I'm happy with that, from a Giants perspective, tbh.

Not sure either Goff or Wentz will be a franchise guy, or better than Bradford, and I definitely didn't want Eagles landing Elliot.

Its a lot to give up, all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I don't get it. Crazy move. At the end of the NCAA season, mocks were showing one QB in top 10. Now we have a franchise betting the farm on the second-best pick?

I could maybe see it if it were San Fran. But Philly have Bradford. He is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

D9Male wrote: »
    I don't get it. Crazy move. At the end of the NCAA season, mocks were showing one QB in top 10. Now we have a franchise betting the farm on the second-best pick?

I could maybe see it if it were San Fran. But Philly have Bradford. He is good.
    Welcome to the annual QB over-rating extravaganza known as the NFL draft!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Billy86 wrote: »
    Welcome to the annual QB over-rating extravaganza known as the NFL draft!

Thats cause regimes are usually judged by the QB they get. Hit and you're laughing, fail and you're gone.

We'd all love to be able to draft the Patriots way but it only really works if you already have that Franchise guy. I've posted before that I view Wentz as a Palmer/Ben level prospect. Does that mean he'll be that? Nope not at all but he has the kind of physical tools they do. The knock on him isn't anything to do with his play, its to do with the fact that he played at a lower level.

I wouldn't have made the move but I can see why the Eagles did it. People might laugh at the skins for the RG3 trade but personally I still think they were right to make it. It didn't work out but that was as much due to mismanagement of him as anything else. After his rookie season nobody thought it was anything other than a great move.

And the Rams who got that fortune in draft picks didn't exactly transition those picks into anything particularly exciting...

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭limerickfc

Theirs some competence in the Browns FO after all, grey deal for them. Really puts them in a good position to rebuild the right way from the ground up

limerickfc wrote: »
    Theirs some competence in the Browns FO after all, grey deal for them. Really puts them in a good position to rebuild the right way from the ground up

Browns have been great at amassing picks in recent years, it's the whole picking the right guys they are kind of struggling with.

Since 2012 they have had 7 1st round picks

2012 3 Trent Richardson RB Alabama
    22 Brandon Weeden QB Oklahoma State

2013 6 Barkevious Mingo OLB Louisiana State

2014 8 Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State
    22 Johnny Manziel QB Texas A&M

2015 12 Danny Shelton DT Washington
    19 Cameron Erving C Florida State

Some pretty sizeable busts there.

I do agree that this new front office & Hue Jackson deserve the benefit of the doubt though. They have so many holes in the roster that pretty much being competitive will be a major achievement. They could hit a home run with this draft class and still easily go 2 - 14.

Kiper has a 3 round mock out where he's acting as GM for each team as opposed to projecting:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/4fhihj/mel_kiper_jrs_threeround_gradea_mock_draft/
    The usual ground rules:

At each slot, I make a pick in the best interest of only the team with the pick. I won't pass on a player at No. 4 just because I like the team better at No. 5.

No trades unless they're already done. I try to address team needs, but like the draft, value can supersede need.

Again: I'm not projecting. It's more a look at where I see value up and down the board.

Jaylon Smith: Let's be clear -- he's one of the best players in the draft. But I'm leaving him out because his draft range is all over the place right now based on his medical re-checks. I'll learn more between now and the draft.

There's a team-by-team look below, as well as a pick-by-pick version so you can see how the order of the picks progressed and get an idea of who was off the board when each team selected.

Picks in order, Rounds 1-3

Los Angeles Rams

Round 1 (1): Jared Goff, QB, Cal

Analysis: Well, this situation changed just a wee bit. Before the trade, I had the Rams getting a wide receiver (Josh Doctson) in the middle of Round 1 and adding quarterback Paxton Lynch in Round 2. They're now the only team with just one pick over the first three rounds, but I do think Goff is the top-rated quarterback in this draft. That's why I selected him here. If the Rams do select Goff first overall, it's critical that they play him when he's truly ready, not when they simply want to show flashes of a potentially bright future.

Cleveland Browns

Round 1 (2): Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota St.

Round 2 (32): Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama

Round 3 (65): Braxton Miller, WR, Ohio State

Analysis: Since I'm drafting for the Browns here, I'd be disappointed that Goff isn't available, but excited to give Hue Jackson a player such as Wentz, particularly because he's in such a solid developmental situation, thanks to the addition of RG III in free agency. Reed gives the Browns a gifted run-stuffer to pair with Danny Shelton on the interior -- I think Shelton could use the help to take off some pressure -- and the addition of Miller in Round 3 is a big-time upside play. My bet: He develops faster than many believe. And don't think he's just a slot guy; the size is there, which could help him become something more.

San Diego Chargers

Round 1 (3): Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss

Round 2 (35): Jihad Ward, DE, Illinois

Round 3 (66): Charone Peake, WR, Clemson

Analysis: When I put together this draft before the trade between the Rams and Titans, I had Tunsil off the board at No. 1. In this new scenario, the quarterbacks go in the first two slots, and the Chargers win big. This could be the exact scenario in the real draft. Great player, exactly where you need him. Ward offers up some pass-rushing help in Round 2, and Peake becomes a potential weapon in the passing game, where San Diego needs some youth and upside to mix in with a veteran group.

Dallas Cowboys

Round 1 (4): Jalen Ramsey, DB, Florida State

Round 2 (34): Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State

Round 3 (67): D.J. White, CB, Georgia Tech

Analysis: The debate for me here is between Ramsey and Joey Bosa, and with both guys at what I consider need positions, it's a good time to trust the board. Ramsey is going to be special, and I love the addition of him and Byron Jones over a two-year stretch. Regarding Elliott, it's much better to take a running back at No. 34 than at No. 4. I know this isn't a realistic draft scenario, but it's a glimpse at how I'd draft at running back. In Round 3, I get a needed addition to the secondary. White has a chance to compete for a starting role in nickel packages early on.

Jacksonville Jaguars

Round 1 (5): Myles Jack, LB, UCLA

Round 2 (38): Kenny Clark, DT, UCLA

Round 3 (69): Max Tuerk, C, USC

Analysis: This defense has added a bunch of help in free agency, but we know that process can offer up a lot of fool's gold, and after ranking 31st in defense last year, the Jags shouldn't be done on that side of the ball. Jack gives us an immediate starter, a brilliant cover linebacker who isn't shy at the line of scrimmage. Plug him in. We get stronger against the run up front with the addition of Clark, and with him, Malik Jackson and Dante Fowler Jr., I'm starting to feel a little better about life for that defense. Tuerk is a solid center -- a clear need spot -- and a reasonable value, and could be the starter at that position in Week 1.

Baltimore Ravens

Round 1 (6): Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State

Round 2 (36): Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson

Round 3 (70): Vadal Alexander, G, LSU

Analysis: In order of need the offensive line comes first, but the Ravens also need a pass-rusher and if Bosa falls in your lap at No. 6 overall it doesn't take much time for the Commish to get to the podium on our behalf. Bosa can rush, set the edge, flip inside -- honestly, there's not much he can't do. He also has a good record of health and joins a team that could use it after a year wrecked by injuries. Mackensie Alexander will be on the field in Week 1 in some form -- that's a good value early in Round 2 -- and Vadal Alexander comes in and competes for an early role along the offensive line.

San Francisco 49ers

Round 1 (7): Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame

Round 2 (37): Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis

Round 3 (68): Nick Kwiatkoski, LB, West Virginia

Analysis: This is a tough spot at No. 7. The way the board breaks -- with Cleveland taking Wentz -- I'm not left with my first choice for the Niners, which is to draft a quarterback. Stanley not only hits a clear need at offensive tackle, but he's a very good athlete who could thrive under Kelly. If he didn't come off the board here, he's gone at one of the next couple spots. So I get my quarterback in Round 2. If you say Lynch is a developmental guy, you're absolutely right. This gives me a year to see how it works with Chip Kelly and Colin Kaepernick, and Lynch is close to nothing against the cap at this spot. Kwiatkoski is an immediate help at inside linebacker, where we need it here.

Philadelphia Eagles

Round 1 (8): DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon

Round 3 (77): Jerald Hawkins, OT, LSU

Round 3 (79): Alex Collins, RB, Arkansas

Analysis: Those of you clamoring for Ezekiel Elliott, sorry. When I'm picking we're just not touching a running back this high. What we will do is get a gifted defensive lineman who could be scary on the same line as Fletcher Cox in the short term, and could end up being extremely valuable if we decide not to open the vault for Cox in the future. I'd at least think about Jack Conklin at No. 8, but Buckner is a steal there and could be a big piece of the puzzle going forward. We need to get an offensive lineman, so Hawkins gets the call in Round 3. (Remember, no second-round pick.) I like the physical talent, he just needs some coaching. Collins has had occasional ball-security issues, but in terms of raw ability he's much closer to Elliott than many realize.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Round 1 (9): Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State

Round 2 (39): Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech

Round 3 (74): Jonathan Bullard, DE, Florida

Analysis: Protect. The. Franchise. I have my quarterback of the future coming off a good rookie season, and the one way he's going to regress is if my shaky offensive line doesn't get better and provide more running lanes (better down and distance football) and more time for my franchise QB. Conklin might not ever be a great NFL left tackle, but he can certainly challenge for that role and probably end up as a very good right tackle. Either way I'm getting better up front. Fuller hits what is arguably the top need, and if he's 100 percent he could be a steal. He tried to play hurt during his last season at Virginia Tech but had to shut it down. Bullard is a disruptive, versatile defensive lineman who can be a part of the rotation immediately.

New York Giants

Round 1 (10): Laquon Treadwell, WR, Mississippi

Round 2 (40): Noah Spence, OLB, Eastern Kentucky

Round 3 (71): Kenneth Dixon, RB, Louisiana Tech

Analysis: I imagine some Giants fans will find this first pick surprising, but as the GM in this scenario I look at my wide receivers and see that my No. 2 is Victor Cruz, who turns 30 this fall and hasn't played in a regular-season game since October 2014. Eli Manning is 35 and with the value poor at O-line in this slot, I'm going to help him in another way and get the top wide receiver in the draft. Even if you question whether Treadwell is a true No. 1 -- does he have to be given that other guy from the Ole Miss-LSU rivalry on this roster at wideout? Spence is a no-brainer as a pass-rusher in Round 2. Free agency helped, but we need another one. And I love the versatility of Dixon in Round 3. Good value range to take a back who can help right away.

[–]bigdaddytripod 121 points 1 day ago
    Chicago Bears

Round 1 (11): Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville

Round 2 (41): Joshua Garnett, G, Stanford

Round 3 (72): Joe Schobert, OLB, Wisconsin

Analysis: This is a tricky spot, because with the top three offensive lineman gone and better pure value at defensive line over cornerback, I feel like I have to go with the highly-disruptive interior presence. The Bears upgraded the D-line in last year's draft, but neither Eddie Goldman nor Will Sutton have the kind of juice Rankins does, and everybody gets better when we can rotate more and win battles up front deep into games. Garnett is an immediate starter at guard, and we get some pass-rushing help in Round 3 with the highly-productive Schobert. I'd like a cornerback, but the draft doesn't end at Round 3 and my defensive line is now better. Interceptions start with pressure, not coverage.

New Orleans Saints

Round 1 (12): William Jackson III, CB, Houston

Round 2 (47): Deion Jones, LB, LSU

Round 3 (78): Adolphus Washington, DT, Ohio State

Analysis: Sense a theme here? At every pick slot I thought this: "Which player on the board has a bunch of upside and could potentially help my defense right away?" That's it. Yeah, I'd like another receiver, and yeah, I'd like to add a guard. But the Saints didn't make the playoffs last year not just because they couldn't stop good offenses, but because they made bad offenses look good. Jackson is major talent at cornerback, and steps into the mix right away. Jones is a little undersized based on traditional standards at linebacker, but he can fly and helps at a need spot at outside linebacker. Washington adds to the rotation depth on the defensive line. Offense? We have Drew Brees for that.

Miami Dolphins

Round 1 (13): Darron Lee, LB, Ohio State

Round 2 (42): Xavien Howard, CB, Baylor

Round 3 (73): Kenny Lawler, WR, Cal

Analysis: McShay will give me grief for taking Lee this high, but I like his upside and think he fits in early on as an outside linebacker who can get into gaps as a blitzer, cover in space and be a disruptive force on the defensive side of the ball. There are going to be growing pains, but I'm betting on Lee. We have a clear need at cornerback and Howard is a fit in the second round. He's not coming in to fix the cornerback situation overnight, but that doesn't happen even with the top corners in the draft, and the physical tools are there to develop. Lawler offers some insurance for Adam Gase in the passing game, and I wasn't in love with the offensive tackle value on the board at that spot anyway.

Oakland Raiders

Round 1 (14): Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Florida

Round 2 (44): Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama

Round 3 (75): Keanu Neal, S, Florida

Analysis: I rarely say this in regards to free agency, but the Raiders have accomplished some things on the defensive side of the ball this offseason. Where they still need help is in the secondary, and I simply can't pass on Hargreaves at No. 14. He has been the best pure cover corner in college football for the past two years on the aggregate, and even if you have questions about the size and speed, the tape makes up the difference. He can help. Henry isn't really a luxury pick in Round 2 even though I don't like drafting running backs early. Behind an improved O-line he's a great fit here and gives them a guy who can step in right away next to Latavius Murray. Neal isn't a star in coverage, but he turns tackles into turnovers as a physical presence coming downhill.

Tennessee Titans

Round 1 (1): Josh Doctson, WR, TCU

Round 2 (33): Karl Joseph, S, West Virginia

Round 2 (43): Jason Spriggs, OT, Indiana

Round 2 (45): Sterling Shepard, WR, Oklahoma

Round 3 (64): Le'Raven Clark, OT, Texas Tech

Round 3 (76): Eric Murray, CB, Minnesota

Analysis: I think the Titans could move back up and get one of the top two or three tackles. But I'm not simulating trades here. In this case, I'd still look at this group and say wow -- look at all the talent. We did a lot to help Marcus Mariota, with a pair of tackles who could emerge as starters and a pair of outstanding receivers. Joseph is a Round 1 talent available in the second and hits a clear need at safety, and I'm giving Mariota another potential starter along the offensive line with Clark. Murray is just a good value here at cornerback, where at last check, 32 out of 32 teams need help. I hit a ton of needs here, and made it clear I'm building around my quarterback.

Detroit Lions

Round 1 (16): Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson

Round 2 (46): Shon Coleman, OT, Auburn

Round 3 (95): Hassan Ridgeway, DT, Texas

Analysis: I'd like to get an offensive tackle, but I'm not going to reach in Round 1 and instead get a polished defensive end who can jump into the rotation and take some pass-rushing pressure off Ziggy Ansah. Lawson was a machine creating negative plays at Clemson last season -- he led the country in tackles for loss -- and has the frame to hold up immediately. Coleman gives me starting potential at tackle, and Ridgeway can jump into the rotation immediately as a defensive tackle.

Atlanta Falcons

Round 1 (17): Reggie Ragland, LB, Alabama

Round 2 (50): Hunter Henry, TE, Arkansas

Round 3 (81): Carl Nassib, DE, Penn State

Analysis: Needs on the defensive side of the ball are clear, so it's really an opportunity to take the best player on the board at No. 17, and Ragland is an immediate help. He has the instincts and the experience to start right away and would be on the short list for defensive rookie of the year if he lands here. The addition of Mohamed Sanu in free agency helps in the passing game, but Jacob Tamme is the best tight end on the roster and getting the best tight end in a light draft class at the position is a value in Round 2. Nassib adds needed depth to the pass rush in Round 3 coming off a season where he was highly productive.

Indianapolis Colts

Round 1 (18): Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State

Round 2 (48): Su'a Cravens, S/LB, USC

Round 3 (82): Austin Johnson, DT, Penn State

Analysis: I have offensive line as a need if I'm the GM here, and Decker makes sense at No. 18. He played both left tackle and right tackle for Ohio State, and while you don't assume he's going to simply come in and lock down the left side, I'm drafting with idea that I can't go wrong by adding O-line help. It's all about getting better in front of my franchise player both in the running game and in pass protection. With Cravens I'm getting the good kind of "tweener" -- a guy who could be a safety or an undersized outside linebacker, but I consider both of those need positions on this roster, and the talent is significant here. Johnson steps in as rotation help early on as an interior defender on the defensive line.

Buffalo Bills

Round 1 (19): Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, Oklahoma State

Round 2 (49): Michael Thomas, WR, Ohio State

Round 3 (80): Willie Beavers, G, Western Michigan

Analysis: Mario Williams might have been a disappointment last season, but it's not as if the roster was packed with pass-rushers who could keep him in the sidelines, and Ogbah comes in with tremendous upside (and college production) at a position of need. The defense was the reason we weren't in the playoffs last season, and he can see the field and help that unit. Thomas is a tremendous physical talent at wide receiver and could be the No. 2 wideout I need behind Sammy Watkins. That's another need position filled. Beavers is more upside than polish as a tackle, but in Round 3 that's what you're going to find, and we need another offensive tackle.

New York Jets

Round 1 (20): Germain Ifedi, OT, Texas A&M

Round 2 (51): Connor Cook, QB, Michigan State

Round 3 (83): Nick Vannett, TE, Ohio State

Analysis: The situation at quarterback is completely unsettled as of this writing, but with the top two quarterbacks off the board early I'm not going to reach at No. 20 and will instead get an offensive lineman with the upside of a starting left tackle and the potential to step in immediately at guard or compete for a starting role at right tackle. Ifedi has tremendous size and physical skills. Cook is a backup if Ryan Fitzpatrick returns (or another veteran QB arrives via trade) and has the tools to become a starter, and Vannett helps at a clear need position in Round 3. I'd like to add an edge rusher, but when Ogbah came off the board at No. 19 to the Bills, the offensive lineman made the most sense.

permalinkparent
    [–]bigdaddytripod 80 points 1 day ago
    Washington Redskins

Round 1 (21): Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama

Round 2 (53): Robert Nkemdiche, DT, Mississippi

Round 3 (84): Cyrus Jones, CB, Alabama

Analysis: Center is arguably the biggest immediate need, so while you don't see many come off the board this early, the ones who do are usually plug-and-play guys, and Kelly certainly fits the bill. And while it's not a sexy pick, addressing the top need with the best available player is no-brainer. I can see Kelly coming off the board before No. 21 in a real draft-day scenario, so he makes plenty of sense here. On pure talent, Nkemdiche is arguably the best defensive lineman in the draft, so getting him late in Round 2 isn't a scary roll of the dice. We have a clear need at cornerback, and Jones comes in ready to jump into the rotation.

Houston Texans

Round 1 (22): Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor

Round 2 (52): Christian Hackenberg, QB, Penn State

Round 3 (85): Shilique Calhoun, DE, Michigan State

Analysis: Free agency didn't net the Texans a formidable No. 2 option in the passing game behind DeAndre Hopkins, and I suspect the draft will provide the needed insurance. In this situation both Treadwell and Josh are off the board, so I have the choice of either Coleman or Will Fuller, and I'm going with Coleman, who offers tremendous speed and play-making ability with a better set of hands. The addition of Brock Osweiler takes QB out of the equation in Round 1, but not Round 2, and Hackenberg provides familiarity given his history with my head coach and the potential to challenge Osweiler, not to mention a meager price tag at that position. Calhoun addresses a significant need at defensive end and jumps right into the mix for significant snaps.

Minnesota Vikings

Round 1 (23): Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame

Round 2 (54): Jalen Mills, S, LSU

Round 3 (86): Nick Martin, C/G, Notre Dame

Analysis: The "clear need at wide receiver" situation isn't a bad one at this spot on the board, because there's a good chance I'm getting either Coleman or Fuller. In this instance, the Vikings get arguably the best deep threat in the draft, a dangerous player who takes pressure off Stefon Diggs in the passing game. He needs to be more consistent catching the ball, but it's about concentration, not a lack of ability. There's a need for depth at both cornerback and safety, and Mills has the the ability to provide in both roles. Martin is a versatile interior offensive lineman who can play both center and guard, and could start at guard as a rookie.

Cincinnati Bengals

Round 1 (24): A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama

Round 2 (55): Tyler Boyd, WR, Pittsburgh

Round 3 (87): Joshua Perry, ILB, Ohio State

Analysis: Free agency made a dent in the wide receiver depth chart, but with the top four options off the board (two in the previous two picks), I'm going with Robinson in Round 1 as an immediate help on the defensive line. This has been a roster built on good drafting and development, and taking a really good player at a perpetual need position for any roster is never a bad thing. I get the wide receiver help in Round 2 with Boyd, who could start early on opposite A.J. Green. Perry could help a linebacking corps that is aging and also faces the early-season suspension of Vontaze Burfict.

Pittsburgh Steelers

Round 1 (25): Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State

Round 2 (58): Christian Westerman, G, Arizona State

Round 3 (89): Jeremy Cash, S, Duke

Analysis: The secondary is the top priority in this draft if I'm drafting, and the availability of Apple late in Round 1 makes him an easy call. He has length, outstanding athletic ability and a willingness to tackle. He needs to refine his cover skills, but that goes for just about any young cornerback, and Apple has tremendous talent. Westerman fills a need at guard where the Steelers could use a rookie with the ability to compete for a starting spot, and Cash is an outstanding box safety. The secondary could be the difference between playoff contention and Super Bowl contention, so I'm hitting it hard.

Seattle Seahawks

Round 1 (26): Artie Burns, CB, Miami (FL)

Round 2 (56): Vernon Butler, DT, Louisiana Tech

Round 3 (90): Dominique Robertson, OT, West Georgia

Round 3 (97): Charles Tapper, DE, Oklahoma

Analysis: It's obvious that the offensive line is the biggest question mark right now for this roster, but in the draft you can't just pass up great talent in the hope that you're getting immediate help at a need area by drafting lesser talent, because in most cases rookies simply don't upgrade any situation. That's why I don't pass on Burns in Round 1, or Butler in Round 2. Cornerback is a need, and Burns has tremendous upside. Defensive line help is also a need, and Butler late in Round 2 is a steal. I'll add Robertson in Round 3 and hope that Tom Cable can coach him up. With the compensatory pick in Round 3 I'll get Tapper, who shores up depth at defensive end.

Green Bay Packers

Round 1 (27): Kamalei Correa, OLB, Boise State

Round 2 (57): Jerell Adams, TE, South Carolina

Round 3 (88): Maurice Canady, CB, Virginia

Analysis: Clay Matthews is an incredible talent who has masked a clear need at inside linebacker while still maintaining his role as a major presence in Green Bay's ability to pressure opposing quarterbacks. In this case there is pass-rushing talent available, so I'm going with Correa at No. 27. He's a burner on the edge and can help when getting to the quarterback is a necessity. Adams provides a weapon for Aaron Rodgers in the passing game as an athletic tight end with run-after-catch ability. Canady is a talented corner who helps offset the loss of Casey Hayward.

Kansas City Chiefs

Round 1 (28): Vonn Bell, S, Ohio State

Round 2 (59): Leonte Carroo, WR, Rutgers

Analysis: I would have looked at Kamalei Correa at No. 28 given the need for added depth at outside linebacker, but after he came off the board with the previous pick I'm going to grab the top safety in the draft. You can't go wrong with versatility in the secondary, and Bell has the best cover skills of any safety in the draft. In nickel packages he's an immediate help, and for that reason he has a chance to be on the field much of the time. Carroo is a good value at No. 59 and also hits a clear need for another weapon in the passing game at wide receiver after Jeremy Maclin.

Arizona Cardinals

Round 1 (29): Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia

Round 3 (92): Graham Glasgow, C, Michigan

Analysis: This draft is off to a good start already thanks to the addition of Chandler Jones, who represents that second-round pick that was shipped to New England. While safety is a clear need, with Vonn Bell off the board it makes sense to grab Floyd, who provides needed pass-rushing ability. There aren't gaping holes, but I don't need to reach for a needed center in Round 1 at the cost of passing on a high-upside pass-rusher like Floyd, and I'm able to grab Glasgow in Round 3.

Carolina Panthers

Round 1 (30): Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson

Round 2 (62): Aaron Burbridge, WR, Michigan State

Round 3 (93): Darian Thompson, S, Boise State

Analysis: Without clear value at offensive tackle at No. 30 -- we made it to the Super Bowl despite the question mark at that position -- I'm going with pass-rush help at No. 30. Dodd can immediately step into the defensive end rotation, where Charles Johnson is being counted on again in his age-30 season. Burbridge is insurance at wide receiver, which looks better thanks to the return of Kelvin Benjamin but still isn't a deep spot on the roster. Thompson is a great value in Round 3; depth is a clear need at safety,

Denver Broncos

Round 1 (31): Cody Whitehair, G/C, Kansas State

Round 2 (63): Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor

Round 3 (94): Scooby Wright, LB, Arizona

Round 3 (98): Sean Davis, S, Maryland

Analysis: The need for stability at quarterback is a clear issue, but there isn't a likely Week 1 starter available at No. 31, and there's still time to make a trade to help the situation there. What I do have is an obvious need for another offensive lineman, and Whitehair is a potential starter at guard, where there is a clear need, with experience at tackle. Others have Billings rated higher than I do at defensive tackle, but he's a steal at the end of Round 2 at another position where added depth is a necessity. Wright fills a need at linebacker and Davis provides insurance and the ability to start early in his career if needed at safety.

New England Patriots

Round 2 (60): Chris Jones, DT, Mississippi State

Round 2 (61): Pharoh Cooper, WR, South Carolina

Round 3 (91): Devontae Booker, RB, Utah

Round 3 (96): Zack Sanchez, CB, Oklahoma

Analysis: The departure of Dominique Easley on the defensive line is mitigated with the addition of Jones, a disruptive interior presence. Cooper is a wide receiver who creates space with his explosiveness off the snap and could become a go-to target for Tom Brady early in his career. He could emerge as another valuable asset in the slot. Booker is a versatile running back, where a clear need exists, and has the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. Sanchez provides needed depth at cornerback who will see the field as a nickel corner early on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement