Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 NFL Draft

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

All the excitement about the draft reminds me of Bill Burr talking about people who watch the draft... (NSFW)

As it happens, I will be watching the draft. THEY NEED TO IMPROVE THE DEFENSIVE LINE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Really hope Jags don't use the no.5 pick on Myles Jack!

https://sportshangout.wordpress.com/2016/04/25/the-sports-hangout-nfl-mock-draft-2016/

Too big an injury risk for such a high choice when there is so many other talented players available!

Its amazing how quick all the mock drafts for us have gone from Jack to Bosa. Now I know obviously some had us taking Bosa from the beginning, but for the majority it was all Jack.

I wouldnt say no to Bosa coming in on the D-Line. I think him and Fowler could create a seriously scary prospect going after the QB. And I know i shouldnt be, but im kinda happy with our DB situation for now, so wouldnt know how to feel if Ramsey falls past the Chargers and Cowboys.

I'd honestly be happy with a trade back into maybe the late top 10 or early teens and still be able to pick up some serious value players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

kev_s88 wrote: »
    I'd honestly be happy with a trade back into maybe the late top 10 or early teens and still be able to pick up some serious value players

The only thing with doing that is - there's 6 truly elite talents in this draft IMO - Tunsil, Bosa, Ramsey, Jack, Buckner and Elliott - and the Jaguars will have their pick of at least 3 of them.

There's definite value in the early teens for sure, but the Jaguars need game changers so should stay at #5 IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Paully D wrote: »
    The only thing with doing that is - there's 6 truly elite talents in this draft IMO - Tunsil, Bosa, Ramsey, Jack, Buckner and Elliott - and the Jaguars will have their pick of at least 3 of them.

There's definite value in the early teens for sure, but the Jaguars need game changers so should stay at #5 IMO.

I agree with you here, I think they should double down on a defensive star to go with Fowler. For me Buckner is the best of the bunch but I honestly don't know how he fits in Jacksonville.

The knee concern has to be a big concern with Jack, so pairing Bosa with Fowler would prob be the way to go.

Reading & nearing a lot of negatives around Vernon Hargreaves. Daniel Jeremiah, Bucky Brooks, McShay & Kiper all reckon he is going to slide well out of the top 10 now. Kiper reckons he could fall to the 2nd. The feeling is that he is only a slot guy.

I know smugness is not a great look but called it a few weeks back!! ;)

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Reading & nearing a lot of negatives around Vernon Hargreaves. Daniel Jeremiah, Bucky Brooks, McShay & Kiper all reckon he is going to slide well out of the top 10 now. Kiper reckons he could fall to the 2nd. The feeling is that he is only a slot guy.

i still like him personally but fair dues for calling it he looked like a riser if anything

Only last week Kiper was mocking him at #14 to the Raiders, while only yesterday Brooks and Jeremiah were mocking him at #9 to the Buccaneers. :pac:

I think he'll be a stud but he's definitely an interesting one to see how he pans out however, for future evaluation purposes especially.

Only last week Kiper was mocking him at #14 to the Raiders, while only yesterday Brooks and Jeremiah were mocking him at #9 to the Buccaneers. :pac:

I think he'll be a stud but he's definitely an interesting one to see how he pans out however, for future evaluation purposes especially.

It was on the move the sticks & first draft podcasts today, hadn't seen their mocks (tend not to waste the time looking at the ones on NFL.com as they are generally terrible)

There are always surprises in the draft & it possibly shows that the media are the last to know (Brooks reckons the Myles Jack rumours are legit as well)

The leanord floyd ridding rumours are the ones that really supprise me apparently he could very well go top 10 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Morrison J

I'll also be a smug one.

Morrison J wrote: »
    I just don't see how anyone can compare Apple and Jackson's tape and think Apple is better. He gets beat a lot and gets a bit bullied out there. No way does he look 6'1 out there to me. I'd honestly have him as a third rounder personally.

Very first play here is a prime example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKH74Gw2vXM

Hargreaves I really like a lot but Jackson's tape is every bit of as good imo and Jackson has 3 inches on him which makes the difference for me.

I understand it might be seen as a "bold" opinion but I really think Jackson and Apple's draft stocks will go the opposite way after the combine. Jackson lacking elite speed might stop him making the big jump into the first round though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

In case anyone doesn't have Sky Sports or access to watching the draft, Gamepass is offering a 7 day free trial.
    Just remember, if you take up the offer, to cancel before the trial period is up, otherwise you will be charged full price for the upcoming season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Lionbacker wrote: »
    In case anyone doesn't have Sky Sports or access to watching the draft, Gamepass is offering a 7 day free trial.
    Just remember, if you take up the offer, to cancel before the trial period is up, otherwise you will be charged full price for the upcoming season.

Cheers mate ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Lionbacker wrote: »

Had to check there if my (last seasons) subscription was still open/working and it is. Seems I am good until July 31 this yr. Will be switched on Thurs night/Fri morning.

Tomorrow to be the longest day in work ever? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I really want Cleveland to have a solid draft. Even if the players don't own out, as long as I can look back and say "well it seemed a pretty safe pick at the time, anyone could have made that mistake." I have a soft spot for them.

Tomorrow to be the longest day in work ever? :pac:

I was avoiding work so much today that I actually went and found out what a 5-tech and a 3-tech are.

Who knows, tomorrow I might find out what a "north-and-south" running back is, or how Skip Bayless is able to convince people to take him seriously.

Who knows, tomorrow I might find out what a "north-and-south" running back is, or how Skip Bayless is able to convince people to take him seriously.

Speaking of, I read yesterday that he's leaving ESPN.

Oh!

Hmmm...might get ESPN.

I presume we'll have a no spoilers thread up tomorrow evening before the inevitable cock measuring contest between Mayock, La Canfora etc begins?

They've worked out really well the last few years.

There's nothing more annoying about the draft than having picks spoiled.

• Advertisement

Fox giving him $5 million apparently.

I presume we'll have a no spoilers thread up tomorrow evening before the inevitable cock measuring contest between Mayock, La Canfora etc begins?

They've worked out really well the last few years.

There's nothing more annoying about the draft than having picks spoiled.

Ye watching the damn thing on mute, it's the sneaky tipping of the picks that Mayock gets up too. No-one had the Jags taking Bortles a few years back, Mayock was talking about one or two guys & out of the blue before Goddell got on the stage he called Bortles, utter knob.

Ye watching the damn thing on mute, it's the sneaky tipping of the picks that Mayock gets up too. No-one had the Jags taking Bortles a few years back, Mayock was talking about one or two guys & out of the blue before Goddell got on the stage he called Bortles, utter knob.

I remember that it was the first year that they where supposed to not spoil the picks and he tried to play it off as innocent afterwards what an asshat

You can tell the exact moment he hears something too.

"Tunsil to San Diego makes a lot of sense. If Rivers is your guy, you need to protect him. Get a franchise left tackle in the door and you are set for the next 10 years. You're getting arguably the best player in the draft at #3 and it's a position of need. Tunsil makes too much sense. I'd be shocked if it wasn't Laremy Tunsil here as Roger Goodell approaches the podium.............Watch out for Jalen Ramsey as a surprise here too."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Any idea our time when the first pick is due roughly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

1.08am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭Augme

Oh dear. Not exactly the smartest thing to say the night before the draft.

https://twitter.com/BartHubbuch/status/725449261400215552

Beefy78 wrote: »
    1.08am

Very precise :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Beefy78 wrote: »
    1.08am

Too rough - be more specific

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Have paddy power suspended betting on the draft??

Big rumours that Tunsil is sliding to below Stanley.. 13/5 can be had on Stanley to be first OT taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Anyone going to make an outrageous prediction for the draft?

• Advertisement

TheDoctor wrote: »

The cowboys will not draft a running back or quarter back...

Jaylon Smith will go undrafted

We'll see 5 qb's go in round 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Guffy

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Have paddy power suspended betting on the draft??

Big rumours that Tunsil is sliding to below Stanley.. 13/5 can be had on Stanley to be first OT taken.

https://mobile.twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/725477460490489861?s=09

Had seen this alright but do you have another source?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭carmanard

The Eagles, finally realising they can't actually afford to sh*t the bed on this, will take 4 extra picks off the niners to trade back down and draft Ezekiel Elliott instead. Elliott tears his MCL & ACL walking off the stage, Chip Kelly gets Wentz, who he immediately announces is going to be used as a blocking TE as Gabbert is his main man. Everyone (except San Fran & Eagles fans) rejoices. Outrageous enough?? :P

Oh and far more obviously: the Browns make a complete Horlicks of the draft because it's genetically imbedded in them to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

gufc21 wrote: »

A lot of media outlets have being playing with the idea of putting him ahead of Tunsil the last few weeks, then Miller put up that tweet and Mayock had him at 3 in his mock today but I wouldn't be putting much trust in either of them at this stage! But it could be similar to a couple of years ago when Joeckel was the consensus top OT prospect the whole time and then just before the draft it came out that KC was going to take Eric Fisher instead

gufc21 wrote: »

Not a concrete source as such no, but Maycock mocked him there, and there are some murmurings on twitter too.

I've been having a read of the Chargers subreddit too and they seem convinced that Stanley is going to SD, there's anarchy in there atm over it.

Just put 3 bets on.

Ezekiel Elliott drafted before 10.5 @ 1.8
    Cowboys draft Ramsey @ 2.5
    Rankins first DT @ 1.6

Just put 3 bets on.

Ezekiel Elliott drafted before 10.5 @ 1.8
    Cowboys draft Ramsey @ 2.5
    Rankins first DT @ 1.6

Who do you think takes Elliott in the top 10 if Dallas don't? I could see him sliding to Miami at 13 in that case.

ScummyMan wrote:
    Who do you think takes Elliott in the top 10 if Dallas don't? I could see him sliding to Miami at 13 in that case.

I'd be confident the closer it gets to 10, the higher the chance of someone trading up. Even Miami themselves of they think the Giants would be sniffing.

I'd be confident the closer it gets to 10, the higher the chance of someone trading up. Even Miami themselves of they think the Giants would be sniffing.

The noise Elliott has been making about the Bears might be a smokescreen but it might also convince the dolphins to trade up ahead of them and therefore into the top ten. Wouldn't be shocked if the bears took him if he's there at 11. Especially given who our RB coach is

Vernon Hargreaves falls out of the top 20.

The New York Giants take a linebacker in the 1st round (1984 was the last time it happened)

The Browns trade down to 15 and take Paxton Lynch.

Robert Nkemdiche goes at 14 to the Raiders

3 RB's go in the 1st round (Eliott, Henry, Dixon)

• Advertisement

Question from a draft amateur here.

I see a lot of people, here and on other forums, saying that they have been looking at this guy or that guy's tape. What do ye actually mean by this? I mean, where are you getting a good cross-section of stuff about an individual player? My suspicion is (from reading some sites) that what a lot of people mean by "tape" is just their highlight reel on youtube. Which, basically, is like saying a politician's flyers handed out before the election are a reliable indication of what they'll do in the Dail.

So yeah, is there a better way than that of looking at, or finding, "tape" that gives a fairer indication of who they are? (obviously there are whole games you can be looking at, but the clear implication is that isn't what people are doing)

I see a lot of people, here and on other forums, saying that they have been looking at this guy or that guy's tape. What do ye actually mean by this? I mean, where are you getting a good cross-section of stuff about an individual player? My suspicion is (from reading some sites) that what a lot of people mean by "tape" is just their highlight reel on youtube. Which, basically, is like saying a politician's flyers handed out before the election are a reliable indication of what they'll do in the Dail.

So yeah, is there a better way than that of looking at, or finding, "tape" that gives a fairer indication of who they are? (obviously there are whole games you can be looking at, but the clear implication is that isn't what people are doing)

Draftbreakdown.com

It gives you every snap almost every player in the draft plays for numerous games. It's an incredible resource really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It tends to be far more extensive than a youtube video (as someone said, typically it has every snap, at least for the more known guys) and to be fair, it works better in the NFL because of the stop/start nature of the sport. For example, if you had a highlight reel of every set piece a team took in the Premiership (or youth levels to continue the analogy), you could tell who their best threats are on them, both for taking said set pieces and getting on the end of them; the same for defending them (see: David De Gea's earlier years for a negative example, or Nemanja Vidic for a positive one).

Also, there tends to be a lot of pre-snap breakdown which is extremely important in just about any position. Obviously who does your QB make adjustments and read defenses, but also how MLBs/ILBs read offenses, how much WRs etc 'give away'* about the play, how much of this DBs pick up on or how easily they are sold/tricked (a DB can get by on sheer athleticism alone in college, but that is why so many 'workout warriors' go so late and never make it in the NFL), and so on and so on. Since American Football isn't a flowing game, it makes it a hell of a lot easier to break plays down in isolation.

*Antonio Brown has a big tell for example, but has worked on it - before passing downs, he has a tendency to fidget with his gloves to try and make sure they are on as tight as possible.

Billy86 wrote: »
    It tends to be far more extensive than a youtube video (as someone said, typically it has every snap, at least for the more known guys) and to be fair, it works better in the NFL because of the stop/start nature of the sport. For example, if you had a highlight reel of every set piece a team took in the Premiership (or youth levels to continue the analogy), you could tell who their best threats are on them, both for taking said set pieces and getting on the end of them; the same for defending them (see: David De Gea's earlier years for a negative example, or Nemanja Vidic for a positive one).

Also, there tends to be a lot of pre-snap breakdown which is extremely important in just about any position. Obviously who does your QB make adjustments and read defenses, but also how MLBs/ILBs read offenses, how much WRs etc 'give away'* about the play, how much of this DBs pick up on or how easily they are sold/tricked (a DB can get by on sheer athleticism alone in college, but that is why so many 'workout warriors' go so late and never make it in the NFL), and so on and so on. Since American Football isn't a flowing game, it makes it a hell of a lot easier to break plays down in isolation.

*Antonio Brown has a big tell for example, but has worked on it - before passing downs, he has a tendency to fidget with his gloves to try and make sure they are on as tight as possible.

No yeah I get that there's a difference, I just had no idea where to go looking for tape (thanks to scummyman on that one) was all. And all too often when someone had claimed to be looking at tape they would then link to a highlight reel, not tape as such.

Okay so I've literally just finished work. The things you do to be able to take tomorrow off to watch the draft tonight! :rolleyes::pac:

Has anything happened today in draft land?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭Augme

Okay so I've literally just finished work. The things you do to be able to take tomorrow off to watch the draft tonight! :rolleyes::pac:

Has anything happened today in draft land?

Yea, they decided to start it a bit early today and it finished about an hour ago. Hard luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭The Bogman

What time is the first pick realistically expected to be in at? Trying to gauge how many I can stay up for! (Apologies,I know its probably been asked already)

The Bogman wrote: »
    What time is the first pick realistically expected to be in at? Trying to gauge how many I can stay up for! (Apologies,I know its probably been asked already)

about 1 am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Just finished typing up by big board. Basically I watch tape every morning on my commute and form an opinion. In no way am I an expert (or think I am) but its fun to see how my analysis looks through the years. Posted it here last year too (to mixed results so far)

My top 50 players.

Board

1. Myles Jack LB
    2. Jalen Ramsey S
    3. Jaremy Tunsil OT
    4. Ronnie Stanley OT
    5. Jaylon Smith LB
    6. William Jackson III CB
    7. Ezekiel Elliott RB
    8. Joey Bosa EDGE
    9. DeForest Buckner DL
    10. Jared Goff QB