Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC smoke detector RF-SD

Options
  • 05-09-2015 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

Im thinking about adding some wireless HKC smoke detectors to my Quantum 70.

In the Quantum install manual it states about the RF-SD (Smoke Detector) :

">4 Years Battery Life. Note: Detector Head has own sealed-in battery good for the life of the product."

Does this mean that the unit uses 2 batteries?
    1 replaceable CR123 (to be replaced when needed)
    And another other type that never needs changing.

Also, If a smoke detector is triggered does the Quantum 70 go into full alarm mode?
    External RF-SABB sounds, Internal panel sounds, TXT messages sent.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

You are correct about the batteries, the system will indeed activate regardless of whether it is armed or not. However if your panel is connected to a landline for texting, that will not happen as Eircom have ceased this service.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭_John C

Thanks. Ive got a GSM module and SIM card installed for texts so im covered there.

How would these HKC RF-SDs compare with my current setup which is 2 mains powered interconnected "Kidde Fyrnetics" smoke alarms? (1 downstairs hall, 1 upstairs landing both labeled : "Manufactured Sep-2006 Replace by Sep-2017")

Would the new HKC RF-SDs be better at detecting/sensing a fire?

Thanks

Yes you are sorted with the GSM indeed. Your existing mains smoke detectors will alert you while in the house, they will activate the detectors themselves.

The HKC ones will do more, they will activate your alarm system fully, causing your sirens to sound in an alternating way. Also you will be notified of the activation if you are not at home.

At the moment my zones are as follows:

Zone 1 - 10: Contact/Inertia
    Zone 11 - 12 : PIR

If I get the smoke detectors can I start them at zone 20 ?

Zone 1 - 10: Contact/Inertia
    Zone 11 - 12 : PIR
    Zone 13 - 19 : UNUSED (for future expansion)
    Zone 20 - 23 : Smoke Detector

Thanks

Yep, when you are enrolling them, just go up to the appropriate Zone number that you want the unit to become.

• Advertisement

Ive found 2 interesting options in the manual and Ive got 2 more questions :D

Page 52
    System Options Menu > Unset Options Menu : "FireO/P Enabl"
    FireO/P Enabl when programmed to NO prevents a fire signal
    being sent to the monitoring station when the system is unset.
    When armed it does send a signal.

Page 55
    System Options Menu > Misc Options Menu : "Silent Fire"
    When Silent Fire is enabled the internal and external bells do
    not activate. However, a fire message is still displayed on the
    keypad and a message sent to the monitoring station.

1.With "Silent Fire" enabled, I assume the individual detector sirens would still activate?

2.Both these options mention the monitoring station.
    Do the same rules apply for Text messages via GSM-Q?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

_John C wrote: »
    Im thinking about adding some wireless HKC smoke detectors to my Quantum 70.

In the Quantum install manual it states about the RF-SD (Smoke Detector) :

">4 Years Battery Life. Note: Detector Head has own sealed-in battery good for the life of the product."

Does this mean that the unit uses 2 batteries?
    1 replaceable CR123 (to be replaced when needed)
    And another other type that never needs changing.

Also, If a smoke detector is triggered does the Quantum 70 go into full alarm mode?
    External RF-SABB sounds, Internal panel sounds, TXT messages sent.

Thanks

Hi John

Bumping an old thread - did you get the impression the 3V battery was user replaceable? Having issues with my own and I'm somewhat reluctant to tear up at something which would cost €100 to replace...

Dardania wrote: »
    Hi John

Bumping an old thread - did you get the impression the 3V battery was user replaceable? Having issues with my own and I'm somewhat reluctant to tear up at something which would cost €100 to replace...

There is a replaceable CR123 in the units. I installed mine 4 years ago and havent had to replace a battery yet. As far as I know, these units are good for 10 years. If the replaceable CR123 goes low; replace it. When the unit reaches 10 years old, it has reached the end of its life and its time to replace the smoke detectors

There is a replaceable CR123 in the units. I installed mine 4 years ago and havent had to replace a battery yet. As far as I know, these units are good for 10 years. If the replaceable CR123 goes low; replace it. When the unit reaches 10 years old, it has reached the end of its life and its time to replace the smoke detectors

nice one - I shall just bite the bullet and replace

To follow up on this, I bought the battery yesterday evening - easy enough to find in Woodies. And when you take the smoke head off the roof, and are looking at the rear of it, you pull off the circuit board (there's a clear plastic tab that might help) and the battery is behind it. Not well signposted, but okay to do.
    And the alarm panel helpfully logs that the RF battery is okay again when you push the smoke head back into it's base.

• Advertisement
Advertisement