Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wattbikes in Dublin?

Options
  • 05-09-2015 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    Does anyone know of any gyms / training facilities with wattbikes available? I see one in Mayo and one in Killarny from googling but did not find anything in Dublin.
    Was actually thinking of getting one but would like to try them out for a bit first, so even somewhere that might rent one?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

K-Lesiure in Naas have two - I think pay as you go use of the gym is €8.

Paddy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty's Lair

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

RobFowl wrote: »
    Beasty's Lair

Beasty's lair is a mythical nirvana for bike folk......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Beasty's Lair

Sounds like a bondage club or something

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

godtabh wrote: »
    Sounds like a bondage club or something

Here's a rarely seen picture of Beasty himself..

gimp.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Here's a rarely seen picture of Beasty himself..

gimp.JPG

Not to dissimilar to seeing him in a skinsuit about to mount his TT rig, and equally hard to burn from the mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dono1975

Try Westmanstown gym a few lads from our club have used one there recently

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Beasty's Lair

How much is the membership? Or shouldn't I ask? :eek: :D:D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just to be clear - that's not a photo taken in the lair - this is (although there have been a few upgrades since it was taken):

08e1c510-7905-46a6-9e09-ce82ae556dc4_zps895909c9.jpg?t=1407186130

OP, the Irish distributors are myfitness.ie - maybe drop them a line and ask them if they can recommend anywhere to give one a try (or maybe they have a demo you can try)

I know CI have a few, and there is one located at the track at Sundrive, but they are not generally available to the public

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Beasty wrote: »
    Just to be clear - that's not a photo taken in the lair - this is (although there have been a few upgrades since it was taken):

08e1c510-7905-46a6-9e09-ce82ae556dc4_zps895909c9.jpg?t=1407186130

That room must stink

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

theres some stationary bikes in Raw Gym that have power-meters and are supposedly accurate, you can bring a usb stick and upload your data at home. the room is empty when theres no spin classes on, so free most of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Lets see the updated lair Beasty! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I believe there are both models in sports link but can't confirm at the moment

theres some stationary bikes in Raw Gym that have power-meters and are supposedly accurate, you can bring a usb stick and upload your data at home. the room is empty when theres no spin classes on, so free most of the time

You don't know what brand they are do you? Am also open to trying some other options - I like the keiser m3s and the stages indoor cycle too, but the wattbike looks sweet :)

OP, the Irish distributors are myfitness.ie - maybe drop them a line and ask them if they can recommend anywhere to give one a try (or maybe they have a demo you can try)

I know CI have a few, and there is one located at the track at Sundrive, but they are not generally available to the public

Thanks a million - will get in touch with myhomefitness.

Also concept 2 <3 - nice :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Zyzz wrote: »
    Lets see the updated lair Beasty! :pac:
    Here you go, the entrance, the ante room, and the inner sanctum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Here you go, the entrance, the ante room, and the inner sanctum

Good lord that is some set up. :eek:

Few TT wheels thrown about as ya do :p

Edit - lusting over that wahoo kickr swell

Zyzz wrote: »
    Few TT wheels thrown about as ya do :p
    Wouldn't risk that wheel in a TT;)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Consey

Yep, Crunch Fitness, Westmanstown.
    Dono1975 wrote: »
    Try Westmanstown gym a few lads from our club have used one there recently

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭kingoffifa

A few quick question which maybe of use to more than me.

Which piece of equipment do you use most Beasty?

Which piece of equipment would you consider the best value?

• Advertisement

kingoffifa wrote: »
    A few quick question which maybe of use to more than me.

Which piece of equipment do you use most Beasty?

Which piece of equipment would you consider the best value?
    None of the "major" pieces of equipment is cheap. I use the Wattbike much more than the rowing machine or cross trainer (although that is relatively new). In theory the non-cycling stuff is to build a bit more upper body strength, as I've been having problems particularly with my shoulder and arm. Having said that I cannot go near any of it at this moment in time as I am suffering from a bad back spasm

In terms of "value", the rollers are cheapest. Earlier this year I did not have enough stability to use them at all. However as I've been re-building core strength (and indeed the strength on my arm and wrist) my confidence has gained - if I am simply looking for some low resistance work I will use them. The Wahoo Kickr is hardly used at all, but that's because it was originally set up for the TT bike and I've done no TTs this year. I am planning to move that to a separate property in due course, as that will provide a turbo with very accurate power records when I am on holiday

Overall though the best "bang for my buck" is the fan :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭kingoffifa

Thanks Beasty!

Hopefully you will get over your setbacks to use the equipment properly.

I asked the question because there may be a couple of people like me who could invest in something decent, but not all of those things.

If in the gym (the very odd time) i found the cross trainer a great form of exercise with very little injuries or strains from using it.

OP will be glad to hear you find it useful.

sorry for dragging off topic OP.

Just on the general point of Wattbikes and "value for money". They gained a great reputation on the back of the Team GB success. Essentially it was developed in conjunction with Team GB and has built on that

It is very bulky though, and in recent years more options have emerged. So, for example, the Kickr now gives you a cheaper option that is pretty much as accurate as the Wattbike, but can easily be moved around. Similarly even a bog standard turbo will do the job if you have a powermeter on your bike. Hence although I still see a place for Wattbikes in a gym environment, I suspect there are not may individuals out there that can put a second storey on a garage just to house their personal gym and pool rooms!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Hi guys
    Does anyone know of any gyms / training facilities with wattbikes available? I see one in Mayo and one in Killarny from googling but did not find anything in Dublin.
    Was actually thinking of getting one but would like to try them out for a bit first, so even somewhere that might rent one?

Thanks

You're welcome to try our normal and Pro watt bikes in Sportslink, Santry. Drop me a PM if you're interested and I'll arrange.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭digiman

sorry for digging up an old thread, I've just joined crunch in westmanstown and they have a wattbike there. Does anyone know if it can be connected to your Garmin so that it will record your distance and power etc?

No, they have an App that should allow you to transfer data to your mobile device or you can transfer to a PC/laptop via a USB connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭The Davestator

digiman wrote: »
    sorry for digging up an old thread, I've just joined crunch in westmanstown and they have a wattbike there. Does anyone know if it can be connected to your Garmin so that it will record your distance and power etc?

You can defo get the watt bike readings on your garmin as you are training, but it needs to be paired and I think you need a ANT usb stick.

(i did a coaching session with a coach and he hooked my 910 up but dont know exactly how.)

I've never tried it but mine started out with the old computer/monitor which had limited functionality/connectivity

However their website now states:
    In order to connect a Garmin to your Wattbike you will need to set the ANT Channel settings on your Wattbike monitor to Bike Power: on - Bike Speed & Cadence: On - Wattbike: Standard. You will then need to go through the steps on the Garmin to connect to a new power and speed and cadence sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭digiman

I will give it a try the next day I'm in the gym. Does anyone know if their spinning bikes are wattbike also? The one I seen was upstairs on the main gym floor and only seemed to be the one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I use the wattbike a lot and have it paired with my Garmin and HR monitor. Very handy.

It's fairly easy to setup.

Advertisement