Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual SIM, 4G, octa core, min 2G RAM - please help select...

Options
  • 05-09-2015 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

I want a 5 inch (not 5.5) smartphone. Moreover I want a Dual SIM one. I want more than basic performance for work reasons (thus octa core and min 2 gigabytes of RAM). And, I'll use it for 4G/LTE. I'd prefer tough glass, though I'm putting on a glass protector anyway (and a shock protection shell if I can get one). I need decent battery life and good reception.

I have the following candidates for now:

- "Chinaphones", most likely DOOGEE F3 Pro (on presale order, but from Europe and has Gorilla glass) or Elephone 6000 Pro (in stock but comes from China and no Gorilla glass). These are the cheapest, approx 150 Euro (Elephone in China is cheaper but one needs to factor in likely VAT and preferrably premium delivery). I hear they can fail often and one can have a problem returning/replacing them. Also the stability of their work is a lottery.

- ZTE Blade S6, available from Argos for 225 Euro. ZTE have no service centre in Ireland, but I was told in Argos that for manufacturing issues I can bring the phone back there. Reviews are generally positive, except some users reported instability/rebooting, and there was a GPS issue that may or may not be fixed. I'm not sure Argos would accept a return with such problems (if the phone is not dead). This is starting to reach the upper limit of what I am comfortable spending on a mobile phone.

- Sony M4 Aqua Dual, available for 253 Euro from Global Direct. It's shipment from Hong Kong, but they promise to handle any customs charges, and I'm told they do handle them and the delivery takes less than two weeks. The only resort for warranty is returning to them, as Sony warranty from Hong Knog won't work here. And it's significant money.

- Sony M4 Aqua Dual, hopefully European stock, available for 280 Euro from Orange online shop. This is definitely more than what I wanted to spend, and I'd be really nervous about the possibility of losing such an expensive phone. But it appears perfect regarding model and, most likely, warranty.

Another option I considered was Lenovo P70 from alzashop.com. Not sure if the warranty is valid here, it might be as Lenovo exists in Ireland. Anyway, won't ask, as there are reports of poor reception, which is not a warranty fault but a chipset limitation.

I'd appreciate advice on choosing among these - or on anything else I might not have considered.

Comments

Advertisement