Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mhuine Beag / Bagenalstown

Options
  • 05-09-2015 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Looking at Mhuine Beag/Bagenalstown as somewhere to relocate to with 2 kids, aged 9 and 7. I would really appreciate some local views if possible. Please feel free to pm or post.

Thinking a semi country house i.e. detached about 1 or 2 miles outside would be preferable for me. I will be commuting to Dublin via train (3 or 4 days a week) so will be driving each morning so conscious of the drive in the early morning in the depths of winter - hence 10/15 mins max on a decent road would be tolerable. Suggesions for where to look to live???

As I will be a single parent I am thinking an Au Pair would suit best the cirucumstances (around for early mornings etc. and school collection). I will need to rent (perhaps initially)/buy a 4+ bed house, any suggestions as to where / what I should look for? I looked at afterschools but they seem to finish at 18.30 and train won't get me home until 7pm. Regarding primary schools I am not bothered about religion. They are RC but currently go to a COI school (inner city Dublin but only 54 pupils in total in school). However we had "issues" with the same teacher for 3 years with my Daughter. They simply did not get on and she has suffered horribly as a result. Hence I am leaning towards the RC school as that might be better if bigger and a new teacher each year. Thoughts / Suggestions???

The kids will need to integrate immediately so looking to find out what clubs etc. they can join. Again suggestions???

I originate from a small town and have family in KK but not in Mhuine Beag; as a Mother I want my kids to grow up in a small town. I think I know the pros and cons of this move but would really appreciate your thoughts to help me be sure that I have really thought this through as moving kids from one school to another is a big deal and I want to be as informed as possible.

I know it won't be easy especially as I have no choice but to continue working in Dublin, however my priority is for the kids to integrate and be happy and for me to be able to sustain my job and my home successfully.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭belle_09

Peppa wrote: »
    Looking at Mhuine Beag/Bagenalstown as somewhere to relocate to with 2 kids, aged 9 and 7. I would really appreciate some local views if possible. Please feel free to pm or post.

Thinking a semi country house i.e. detached about 1 or 2 miles outside would be preferable for me. I will be commuting to Dublin via train (3 or 4 days a week) so will be driving each morning so conscious of the drive in the early morning in the depths of winter - hence 10/15 mins max on a decent road would be tolerable. Suggesions for where to look to live???

As I will be a single parent I am thinking an Au Pair would suit best the cirucumstances (around for early mornings etc. and school collection). I will need to rent (perhaps initially)/buy a 4+ bed house, any suggestions as to where / what I should look for? I looked at afterschools but they seem to finish at 18.30 and train won't get me home until 7pm. Regarding primary schools I am not bothered about religion. They are RC but currently go to a COI school (inner city Dublin but only 54 pupils in total in school). However we had "issues" with the same teacher for 3 years with my Daughter. They simply did not get on and she has suffered horribly as a result. Hence I am leaning towards the RC school as that might be better if bigger and a new teacher each year. Thoughts / Suggestions???

The kids will need to integrate immediately so looking to find out what clubs etc. they can join. Again suggestions???

I originate from a small town and have family in KK but not in Mhuine Beag; as a Mother I want my kids to grow up in a small town. I think I know the pros and cons of this move but would really appreciate your thoughts to help me be sure that I have really thought this through as moving kids from one school to another is a big deal and I want to be as informed as possible.

I know it won't be easy especially as I have no choice but to continue working in Dublin, however my priority is for the kids to integrate and be happy and for me to be able to sustain my job and my home successfully.

Thanks for reading.

Hi Peppa,
    I'm only seeing your post now but I've lived in Muine Bheag all my life. It's a lovely town to live in, not too big but with enough going on too. Lots of activities for children and I'd can't recommend the local Catholic schools highly enough. There are two schools - one is boys and girls to 1st class and just girls from 2nd class up, the boys move to the all boys school which has 2nd to 6th class boys. I attended the girls school myself and loved my time there. Both really lovely schools and I'll happily send my boy and girl there when the time comes.
    Many of the local children play GAA, are involved in scouts, karate, ballet, athletics. So lots to keep them busy and make many friends. I live just outside town, the joy of country living while still being close enough to shops, schools etc.
    I don't know what the rental market is like but I'd imagine you will get a house close to town without too many issues. Let me know if you need any more info ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mosesgun

I live between Bagenalstown and Borris and I also commute to Dublin most days, although I drive. I'd love to be able to take the train from Bagenalstown but Heuston station doesn't leave me anywhere near work. We've three kids and they go to a small village school just outside Bagenalstown. Many of their after school activities are in Bagenalstown. Bagenalstown is a nice town for kids. As the previous poster said, there's no shortage of activities.
    In terms of where to liveDonore is an area just outside the town. It's lovely and only a few minutes drive. Ideal place really for what you seem to be looking for. Out a bit further you could look at Ballinkillen. This is lovely small village less than 10 mins drive to Bagenalstown. Has an excellent friendly school there too if it was of interest and a very good community atmosphere. It's nice there because it's fairly close to Borris too. Borris is a lovely little village with a real friendly country feeling.
    In terms of clubs for your kids, there are loads. Sport is huge and there are lots of GAA, soccer, Karate clubs etc. There are also dancing lessons, horse riding, group music lessons etc. You won't find it hard to find things to get them involved in the community. You will need a good car though. We find with 3 kids doing various activities that we're constantly on the go! I'm originally from Dublin and found that living in countryside with kids requires a fair bit of driving as neither walking or public transport are generally an option.
    Anyway, sounds like a great move for you and to a nice area. If you need more info, please don't hesitate to ask.

Advertisement