Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cut long grass ?

Options
  • 06-09-2015 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭

Hi , I recently bought a house with a large abandoned lawn/ paddock attached , roughly 3/4 of an acre , had long grass weeds and some rushes ( rushes why I don't know dry as bone and solid in there even in wet periods)

Anyways I got it mowed a couple of weeks ago by a local farmer and didn't do anything with the cut grass just let it where it fell, I meant to but other things got in the way.

My question is, is it any harm to just let ir where it fell until it rots ? Will the grass grow through it again in the short term?

As for the rushes anything good to kill them off and when best to use it ?

Thanks for reading this rfar.

Comments

Car99 wrote: »
    Hi , I recently bought a house with a large abandoned lawn/ paddock attached , roughly 3/4 of an acre , had long grass weeds and some rushes ( rushes why I don't know dry as bone and solid in there even in wet periods)

Anyways I got it mowed a couple of weeks ago by a local farmer and didn't do anything with the cut grass just let it where it fell, I meant to but other things got in the way.

My question is, is it any harm to just let ir where it fell until it rots ? Will the grass grow through it again in the short term?

As for the rushes anything good to kill them off and when best to use it ?

Thanks for reading this rfar.

It is no harm to leave the grass there to rot but personally I would remove it. It takes ages to rot and makes life very difficult when u are cutting it again.

Mortone or agritox kills rushes. If you are you are going with these spray the whole area and it will kill other weeds aswell. I would ask the farmer. He may be able to spray it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

It is no harm to leave the grass there to rot but personally I would remove it. It takes ages to rot and makes life very difficult when u are cutting it again.

Mortone or agritox kills rushes. If you are you are going with these spray the whole area and it will kill other weeds aswell. I would ask the farmer. He may be able to spray it too.

Thanks Suresand0ers

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭SparrowHawk

Had a very similar experience to your own - 0.75 acre of wild grass etc. Cut mine and left it. A year on can still see some left over grass

Advertisement