Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coasting to riches

• 06-09-2015 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

This is one for the younger readers.

Have you ever been on a train and noticed how the driver gives it a bit of power and then lets it coast for 20 seconds or so. You can apply the same technique to your life like I have.

Take it easy enough in school but put in 18 months of solid effort for your leaving cert. Really push yourself at the end.

Get on a decent college course and have a good laugh up until third year. Another 18 effots of full power should bring you in a first. If you don't get a first you are in trouble.

A first should get you a place on a fully funded phd programe. I was given 17K a year as a stipend on mine a good while back. Take it easy for the whole thing really but aim to get it done in 4 years. There is no first class just pass or fail.

Once you have done all that you should be 25-26 years of age with a decent LC, a first class honours degree (good university) and a phd. The world is yours and you've only had to put in a a few years of effort.
    Take the same principles to whatever job get and move around.

I'm 33 and I get 150K a year with an unbelievable pension and I do about 10 hours of work per week. I'll be good candidate for my next promotion as my CV is watertight.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Notavirus.exe

Jonotti wrote: »
    I'm 33 and I get 150K a year with an unbelievable pension and I do about 10 hours of work per week. I'll be good candidate for my next promotion as my CV is watertight.

Yeah yeah, we've all seen your ads on numerous websites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Your analogy with the train driver is all wrong. He constantly gives the engine a boost throughout the journey and doesn't just rev it up towards the end of the journey. The power release is for much shorter periods then the power up as well.

Your advice is bunkum and quite misleading, if not harmful for students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,485 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Or you could just learn how to play chess better than everyone else and become a chess champion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Jonotti wrote: »
    This is one for the younger readers.

Have you ever been on a train and noticed how the driver gives it a bit of power and then lets it coast for 20 seconds or so. You can apply the same technique to your life like I have.

Take it easy enough in school but put in 18 months of solid effort for your leaving cert. Really push yourself at the end.

Get on a decent college course and have a good laugh up until third year. Another 18 effots of full power should bring you in a first. If you don't get a first you are in trouble.

A first should get you a place on a fully funded phd programe. I was given 17K a year as a stipend on mine a good while back. Take it easy for the whole thing really but aim to get it done in 4 years. There is no first class just pass or fail.

Once you have done all that you should be 25-26 years of age with a decent LC, a first class honours degree (good university) and a phd. The world is yours and you've only had to put in a a few years of effort.
    Take the same principles to whatever job get and move around.

Its very surprising that someone who earns 150k a year and has a PhD came up with this rubbish.

Advertisement