Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Irish People ready to pay for Refugees?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭vagazzled

This thread is so depressing.
    I live next door to a small family of Syrians, they have been my neighbours for 15 years. During the boom, my neighbour ran 2 businesses , employing Irish, Polish, etc. If any of you people knew Muslims, you would know that the vast majority are kind, hospitable, generous and friendly people, and are not involved in crime.
    An initiative was set up in Germany in Nov 2014, whereby a family / houseshare with a spare room welcomes a refugee (alone or with family, depending on accom) so they don't have to live in ghettoised areas or dormitories. Thereby eliminating that problem - plus they learn German from their hosts. I hope a similar scheme is set up in Ireland.
    I think it's time we realised how lucky we are and reached out to these people who desperately need help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

ThisRegard wrote: »
    How can it be too much when you don't even realise the amount that's here?

Too much because its overstated. There are less than 5000 Bosnians in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

vagazzled wrote: »
    This thread is so depressing.
    I live next door to a small family of Syrians, they have been my neighbours for 15 years. During the boom, my neighbour ran 2 businesses , employing Irish, Polish, etc. If any of you people knew Muslims, you would know that the vast majority are kind, hospitable, generous and friendly people, and are not involved in crime.
    An initiative was set up in Germany in Nov 2014, whereby a family / houseshare with a spare room welcomes a refugee (alone or with family, depending on accom) so they don't have to live in ghettoised areas or dormitories. Thereby eliminating that problem - plus they learn German from their hosts. I hope a similar scheme is set up in Ireland.
    I think it's time we realised how lucky we are and reached out to these people who desperately need help.

I work with Syrians and Bosnians here in Sweden and they are grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭daveville30

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Too much because its overstated. There are less than 5000 Bosnians in Ireland.

maybe they applied for citizenship.in the paper yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

I don't feel we have an obligation to take any refugees, but I feel that the overseas aid lobby and government spin doctors are waging a very effective campaign to create a groundswell of opinion in the media, to suggest that we do have such an obligation. I also feel that as usual Enda and co are being pressured by the Germans and to a lesser extent France, into agreeing to take far more relatively than we should, with suggestions that we might take 5,000(though Joan Burton now says there is no upper limit), at a time when Britain says it might take 4,000 and many of the smaller Eastern European countries not seemingly committing themselves to take any.

At the time of the banking crisis, we bit the bullet, took one for Europe and bailed out the banks to the tune of €64bn. If we had burned the bondholders, as we should, then French and German banks would have lost tens of billions and their governments may have had to bail them out, but we took that debt on ourselves, as good Europeans. Excluding the €20.1bn from the National Pension Reserve Fund, Ireland shouldered 43% of the net cost of the banking crisis across the EU, despite having just 1% of the EU population.

Now just a few years later, Europe (Germany/France) are back again, having saved German and French banks billions, they now want more from us and it seems that Enda and co are prepared to capitulate. I even see Enda giving tacit support to the idea of mandatory refugee quotas being set by the EU for each country, when with immigration being such a hot political issue in the UK at present, any EU forced refugee quota for the UK is virtually certain to result in the UK voting to leave the UK next year.

Finally, why is it that despite all the talk about how the Irish people support Ireland taking thousands of refugees and how Ireland has to lead the way, the only centre that has been announced so far to receive these refugees(the first 500) is situated in Monasterevin(pop 3710) in Kildare rather than in Dublin, Offaly, Cork, Limerick or Mayo(the counties of the ministers involved in making the decision) ? Surely if the decision is that popular, every minister would want them in his constituency and yet, they are to be located, without any consultations with local people, in a county that doesn't have a government minister(senior or junior) ? And how can any community in the country trust what the government says on this issue, Monasterevin was announced on Aug 26th as the location of a processing centre that 70 people at a time would be staying at, before they were to be moved to one of six other locations, now just days later, the number has swelled to 500 and Monasterevin is now to be home to these people(no mention of processing). It looks as though Kildare needs its own minister. If you live in a small town in a county(I think there are 12) that doesn't currently have a government minister, watch out.

What about, next time a government minister fancies creating headlines about taking in refugees, building new dumps to take waste from other counties, new electric pylons etc. he/she has to agree to it in their own constituency too. Would Enda be so enthusiastic if 1,000 Syrian refugees were to be housed in a small town in Mayo instead of Kildare ? The same applies to Frances Fitzgerald, Charlie Flanagan, Alan Kelly, Simon Coveney, Joan Burton, Leo Varadkar and all the other ministers that have taken to the media in recent days, to make the case for Ireland taking thousands of refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭thedumbone

jaykay74 wrote: »
    You don't have a clue. I live here. Stick to the interwebs.

unfortunately I do, just because I don't live there doesn't mean I know nothing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_in_Sweden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Lord Riverside

There is opportunity here for Ireland.
    It should be easy for the Irish authorities to calculate how many refugees Ireland can comfortably sustain. If the will was there, Irish officials could actively go to the camps in europe and screen and recruit the cream of the refugees for our own county, i.e. those who are skilled and experienced in areas we need from surgeons, to nurses, to car mechanics etc., and are willing and able to work. People who want to enhance Ireland for both them and us.

Instead though, we'll make a total clusterfck of it as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

chenwc wrote: »
    Irish people refuse to pay for water charge, but are they willing to pay for refugees?

As per the forum charter, please do not start threads with the first thought that came into your head.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

thedumbone wrote: »
    you don't want Ireland to become 2nd Sweden. Sweden is lost already..

here's classic NSFW

https://img.4plebs.org/boards/pol/image/1401/30/1401308949176.jpg

You clearly havent read the charter. This breaches several rules, not least that it is racist, ignorant and completely off topic. Banned.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement