Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East coast bass

• 06-09-2015 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi guys,
    Just wondering how people are finding the bass fishing this summer around Dublin/ east coast.
    I've put in quite a bit of effort for very poor returns.
    Not looking for spots just wondering how others are getting on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Nothing much on the East coast this year. It's never great for Bass and always frustrating if you specifically target bass. Best to do general species fishing and if a Bass turns up all the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 longboarder

I'm afraid that I've never been a "general species" type.

Always just interested in one particular quarry at a time!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭hiujn

I fished for bass this year first time trying to target them been out 4 times east coast louth area and nothing doing but i have next to no experience targeting this species it is tough going from the couple of anglers i spoke to but they themselves weren't avid bass hunters.

Thanks hiujn.

Keep the faith. I've been out a quite a bit but had a bass yesterday evening - my first for a while. So keep at it.

The summer has been cold and windy so maybe the autumn will bring some results.

I'll keep plugging away anyway :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

The summer has been cold and windy so maybe the autumn will bring some results.
    Mate we had no summer and it's been autumn for over a month now.
    :P

• Advertisement

Agree the summer was a non event but September is the real start of Autumn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 wellmade2040

Not exactly near you or the east cost but down around Wexford has been smashing for me this year.ðŸ‘- has been a good your all round to be fair ðŸ‘

Thanks Wellmade,
    That's encouraging.

Not exactly near you or the east cost but down around Wexford has been smashing for me this year.ðŸ‘- has been a good your all round to be fair ðŸ‘

Just curious about what you mean by smashing?
    Could you put a figure on it?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 wellmade2040

TheTorment wrote: »
    Just curious about what you mean by smashing?
    Could you put a figure on it?
    Thanks

I live in Dublin so only fish weekends and a month straight around July or August- probably the guts of 20/25 outings just for bass- have had 17 fish so far ðŸ‘

• Advertisement

Were those fish evenly spread out - getting a fish most outings with the odd blank or would you have had a few great multi fish sessions with consequently more blanks?

Were those fish evenly spread out - getting a fish most outings with the odd blank or would you have had a few great multi fish sessions with consequently more blanks?

Exactly what my next question was going to be!!

Without sounding like a dick...I wouldn't be calling 17 fish over that period as smashing fish.
    Some context:
    Going back a few years, say 2012, for example, I could have had close to that amount in a SINGLE session. I had close on 300 for that season alone.

Since that year, bass fishing has deteriorated drastically. Both quantity and quality. I have 64 fish for this season. Huge difference.
    Bare in mind I fish several sessions each week...so the return versus the fishing hours put in is brutally bad.

Edit. I'm catch and release 99% of the time, only keeping fish if they don't go back

I would wonder by times if fukushima has anything got to do with the bad fishing in recent years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭jack01986

hiujn wrote: »
    I would wonder by times if fukushima has anything got to do with the bad fishing in recent years

I doubt its affected us over here in the Atlantic and Irish sea. It's probably to do with the poor fisheries management over the years.

Any East coast (dublin area) Bass activity yet this year?

Been out a good few times but no success yet. Just wondering how others are getting on. I need some encouragement :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Any East coast (dublin area) Bass activity yet this year?

Been out a good few times but no success yet. Just wondering how others are getting on. I need some encouragement :-)

Me and a friend went to a well known spot in north Wexford on Friday and got one bass between us around 2lb. Not another bite in 3 hours off anything else .we were using lures crab and rag. The bass was caught on rag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭MWforumfisher

I live in Dublin so only fish weekends and a month straight around July or August- probably the guts of 20/25 outings just for bass- have had 17 fish so far ðŸ‘

I've had no bass so far in dublin. From talking to other anglers it's pretty tough fishing in the south county anyway. You must be a pretty lucky guy and a pretty good angler!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Im averaging one a night - in saying that I fish from dusk till dawn so about 1 every six hrs for me.

From arklow to kilmuckridge I have narrowed it down to one beach at exactly 2am haha

But I am happy with that return, fish 2 nights a week. All on rag - All of them, crabs only getting me smoothies (nothing wrong with smoothies mind)

'I have a coule of questions for ya's.

Is night time fishing better for them? and does an easterly wind make much of a difference on the east coast.

I'm heading to baltray this week any ideas if it's any good around there? I will be mainly spinning but i'll report back on how things went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Hi guys,
    Just wondering how people are finding the bass fishing this summer around Dublin/ east coast.
    I've put in quite a bit of effort for very poor returns.
    Not looking for spots just wondering how others are getting on.

The river delvin where it enters the sea at gormanston bridge is a great spot when conditions are right ;)
    Edit.If your on the southside of the liffey greystones beach can be good too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement