Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single Device Clip on Energy Meter

Options
  • 06-09-2015 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Devices that allow you to measure the energy usage of a single devices typically take the form of a device you plug into an electrical outlet.

Does anyone know of a device for measuring the energy usage of a single device that uses a clip on current transducer? These things exist for measuring total mains usage and are normally part of a monitoring system but I haven't come across one to measure the usage of a single device.

For info, I want to use such a device for measuring usage of fixed appliances like heaters etc. where there isn't a plug.

Has anyone come across something close to what I'm looking for?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

di11on wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Devices that allow you to measure the energy usage of a single devices typically take the form of a device you plug into an electrical outlet.

Does anyone know of a device for measuring the energy usage of a single device that uses a clip on current transducer? These things exist for measuring total mains usage and are normally part of a monitoring system but I haven't come across one to measure the usage of a single device.

For info, I want to use such a device for measuring usage of fixed appliances like heaters etc. where there isn't a plug.

Has anyone come across something close to what I'm looking for?

Simple solutions:
    1) Read the name plate on the device.

2) Read the data sheet for the device.

3) Use a grip on ammeter to measure the current drawn by the device.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

2011 wrote: »
    Simple solutions:
    1) Read the name plate on the device.

2) Read the data sheet for the device.

3) Use a grip on ammeter to measure the current drawn by the device.

And stand by it for 24 hours and numerically integrate?

Edit: Problem is for things like heaters, the current won't be constant

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

And stand by it for 24 hours and numerically integrate?

If you know the duty cycle would be easier to take a single reading and calculate it.

If you know the duty cycle would be easier to take a single reading and calculate it.

For a heater controlled by a thermostat I won't know that, the duty cycle won't be fixed

You'd have to separate the cores to use a clamp meter anyways. An inline watt-hour meter is the only way to do it as far as I know. You could integrate one into a plugboard. Easy enough put a plug and socket on an appliance. Or if you get a qualified acronym...downstream of the MCB for the load in question.
    The CTs aren't so accurate anyways they approximate the voltage and are susceptible to interference.
    I rarely find an appliance's plug rating to be remotely accurate.

• Advertisement

For a heater controlled by a thermostat I won't know that, the duty cycle won't be fixed

Are you trying to calculate the cost of electricity heating a room over a 24 hour period?

Are you trying to calculate the cost of electricity heating a room over a 24 hour period?

That's one application I had in mind - but I also want to be able to measure energy consumption over a period for any load in the house but mostly heaters and an air conditioning unit (I don't live in Ireland :-) )

That's one application I had in mind - but I also want to be able to measure energy consumption over a period for any load in the house but mostly heaters and an air conditioning unit (I don't live in Ireland :-) )

Buy a few Owl energy meters then. Install one on each load. This will provide a reasonable approximation.
    As I am sure you know the cost of heating or cooling will vary with the weather.

Buy a few Owl energy meters then. Install one on each load. This will provide a reasonable approximation.
    As I am sure you know the cost of heating or cooling will vary with the weather.

Not a bad idea - but seems a little like overkill... that monitor seems to have a lot of functionality I don't need.

Advertisement