Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia

Options
  • 06-09-2015 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hello Ladies and Gents,

I am going to Australia in December and I was wondering if some people can share with me their experience especially in the following areas : Whitsundays islands, Sydney -> Melbourne by VAN.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭duffman13

thatann44 wrote: »
    Hello Ladies and Gents,

I am going to Australia in December and I was wondering if some people can share with me their experience especially in the following areas : Whitsundays islands, Sydney -> Melbourne by VAN.

Whitsundays is absolutely incredible. One of my favourite places I have ever been. How long will you be in Oz and what do you want to do? Did some big drives but never drove Melbourne to Sydney as there wasnt a lot in between I wanted to see or stop at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 thatann44

Thanks @duffman13 for your answer!

I am planning to stay 2 weeks and half (it's a short break but I have not been able to get better) so I will stay 3/4 days in the Whitsundays and the rest between Sydney and Melbourne (I took internal flights to make it shorter between the islands and syndey afterwards I am renting a van).

Do you have suggestions of activities in these islands? What to absolutely do?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭browne_rob5

For Whitsundays the best option is to do a 2 day/2 night boat trip. There are party boats (eg. Atlantic Clipper) and more chilled out boats depending on what you are looking for. Few options at the link below.

http://www.peterpans.com.au/peterpanstravel/whitsundays

I wouldnt spend to much time in Airlie beach as there isn't too much to do there.

I would recommend flying from Sydney to Adelaide and then driving from there to Melbourne. You would get to see the Grampians and the Great Ocean Road and you could stay at a nice beach spot like Torquat also. As said previously there isnt much between Sydney and Melbourne.

You can use a car relocation company to get a cheap rental between Adelaide and Melbourne.

http://www.imoova.com/imoova/relocations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Between Sydney and Melbourne, I disagree that there is nothing to see or do. I have a soft spot for the area though.

You have Merimbula and Eden (great for whale watching depending on time of year), Bega (cheese!), Bermagui (Billy Connolly filmed "the man who sued God" here), Narooma (penguins, kangaroos and Australia Rock), Batemans Bay (fishing and dolphins), Jervis Bay (Guinness book of records has Hyam Beach here as the whitest sand in the world), Kiama (and its blowhole), Wollongong (amazing beaches) and finally the national park just before Sydney. In that order.

I think it probably shows more of "traditional" Australia than the great ocean road. Just my opinion.

Wow, imoova seems like a great plan!!! thanks for that!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭partnership

Whitsundays are fabulous. We were only there for 2 nights so had to be content with a day tour out to the reef. I would have liked to do Hamilton Island. In Sydney there is a monument in Waverley cemetery to the Michael Dwyer one of the 1798 rebels, plus the 1916 and hunger strikers. The cemetery joins the walk from Coogee to Bondi which is lovely though loads of steps on it. If in Sydney for a few days invest in the multi ticket which gives you unlimited travel on buses and ferries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Do an overnight sailing trip on one of the ex-racing yachts from Airlie beach. Can't recommend it enough. Whitehaven is magnificent and it's hard to beat a yacht built to race cutting through these beautiful waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The Whitsundays are beautiful and definitely worth doing.
    Near Kiama there is 7 mile beach which is lovely to go for a stroll and just take it all in.
    Between Sydney and Melbourne there wouldn't be as many well known tourist attractions as further north but in December the weather should be perfect for discovering that area.
    Lakes Entrance is a nice spot to stop off for a boat trip. Further inland from there you have the Gippsland National Parks. We went to a set of limestone caves called the Buchan caves which were nice and cool if it is a very hot day.
    A lot depends on what you are into but there are a huge amount of national parks down along that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

On the way down to Kiama, in Albion Park you can take a joy flight in a Gyro Copter. I take lessons down there with the guy Michael that runs it. Usually its on Groupon for Wollongong region. It's $69 for about a 30 minute flight and he'll fly you out and over 7 mile beach, let you take the controls, go out to sea a little bit. Really enjoyable flight and Michael is a really nice guy.

http://www.gyrocopter-illawarra.com.au/

Totally worth it if you are down that way too.

Jambaroo isn't too far away either. It's a water park you could spend the day at, about $50 to get in and if its midweek and kids are in school, you'll have the place to your self!

Thanks for all these answers!

• Advertisement

What transport were you using to visit the islands? Is there any cheap ferry ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Whitsundays?
    As far as I know there are no ferries. Just different types of sailing boats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

There is no way to do the Whitsundays cheaply.

A 2-3 night cruise will set you back anywhere between $500-$1000 per person depending on what you're after.

Ferry to Hamilton Island from Airlie beach is about $70 one way. Daydream is similar. You can get a water taxi from Shute harbour to Long Island but that's not cheap. And the price of getting from Hamilton Island to Hayman Island would make you cry...it certainly did to someone I know!

You could fly to Hamilton Island but hotels are about $200-$300 a night there.

If you have your heart set on doing the Whitsundays, budget accordingly. Even Aussies moan about how pricey it is.

Thanks for the clarifications !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

It doesn't have to be that expensive. I got a boat to Whitehaven beach then from Whitehaven to South Molle Island then back to Airlie and just camped on each island with my own camping gear for a few nights each.

Do you guys have any idea, where I could fly my drone in some areas where it is quiet on the whitsundays (all islands) ? (maybe impossible..?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

thatann44 wrote: »
    Do you guys have any idea, where I could fly my drone in some areas where it is quiet on the whitsundays (all islands) ? (maybe impossible..?)

There aren't too may people there to complain, but it is all national park, so I'd check with NPWS QLD regulations. I know NSW have some regulations in place as a result of interference with the Rural Fire Service air traffic and drones.

If you get a calm day, drone shots of whitehaven would be awesome. I'd reckon hamilton and Hayman islands would be tricky as they are privately owned/run resorts. Check with whoever/however you are getting around too, particularly if it's a sailboat etc. Not much room to carry drones :)

Wind will be a problem during storm season, the area does get some pretty hectic tropical storms running through. that will be pot luck.

There aren't too may people there to complain, but it is all national park, so I'd check with NPWS QLD regulations. I know NSW have some regulations in place as a result of interference with the Rural Fire Service air traffic and drones.

If you get a calm day, drone shots of whitehaven would be awesome. I'd reckon hamilton and Hayman islands would be tricky as they are privately owned/run resorts. Check with whoever/however you are getting around too, particularly if it's a sailboat etc. Not much room to carry drones :)

Wind will be a problem during storm season, the area does get some pretty hectic tropical storms running through. that will be pot luck.

For Hamilton, For sure I will not fly because the island is really small and there is an airport.

I already checked the regulations because the last thing I want to get is being dangerous for the other people or to get a fine!

Thanks for your answer!

Advertisement