Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Query re importing a leaf

• 06-09-2015 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Am looking at importing a Nissan Leaf from the UK as it looks to be about 13k cheaper than buying here for a 2014 model.

there doesnt appear to be any VRT on it as well which is amazing.

My question is regarding the government grant,, as a private buyer am I entitled to this or do i have to buy via a nissan outlet here in Ireland to avail of it?

Any information would be great.

Regards
    Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I'm nearly sure it has to be through an authorised dealer and only applies to new cars. Someone more informed will be along soon no doubt to fill you in.

The purchase of a U.K Leaf will have included the U.K Government grant.

The 2014 also has the newer battery which is far more robust than the original 2011- late 2013. Really fantastic car.

If you can get one with the 6.6 Kw charger get it, it means charging from non fast chargers twice as fast and I can't emphasise enough the value of this charger, it's worth every penny and many occasions now it's meant I've not had to find and possibly wait at a fast charger, I just come back to the car, unplug and drive away. There are also far more standard charge points than fast.

I've driven 18,300 Kms since January and if I had charged all the time on night rate it would have cost me 250 Euro's based on my average consumption of roughly 18 Kwh/100 Kms. But it's hard to calculate my cost exactly because I have to charge during the day when I'm working nights but use the fast charger daily for my 134 Km commute for 10 mins so this is all free, about 6-7 Kwh worth.

In a 55 mpg diesel this would have cost me 1,100 euro's based on Today's price of diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

The grant only applies to a new vehicle and when both the dealer AND vehicle model is registered with the SEAI. That prevents the grant from applying to a Model S for example.
    Technically the grant also reduces to €3,800 if you are financing the vehicle. Nissan blatantly ignores this and reports all private purchases as cash purchases. Other manufacturers stick to the rules.

You get a €5k credit for the VRT which just about covers the VRT on a brand new Leaf. For a used Leaf that means zero VRT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

You get 5k grant with BMW also. When I first started looking they told me €3,800 like you said but this changed. So maybe a slight change in the rules?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

s.welstead wrote: »
    You get 5k grant with BMW also. When I first started looking they told me €3,800 like you said but this changed. So maybe a slight change in the rules?

I think they decided that if Nissan was getting away with it....

I got the €5k on both my i3 and Leaf but they were both cash purchases with no financing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I bought a 14 model Tekna in the UK. Savings were significant, more so for me because I work in the North so I get paid in sterling.

With the exchange rate as it is now the savings would be reduced for someone buying with €.

However when I was buying the price for the Tekna in England was £13.6k which was around €18k. Similar age/mileage Teknas in Ireland were around €22k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Surely 13k cheaper is wrong OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭Soarer

Guys, some user once posted their journey from start to finish importing a Leaf, including onboard charging during the ferry crossing. Anyone have a link to it?

Also, the updated "2014" Leaf has a basic spec model (XE?). This doesn't have the satnav and stuff in the centre console. Does this mean it doesn't have any intelligence as such, and you can't "talk" to it via the app, or give it charging settings, etc.?

Soarer wrote: »
    Guys, some user once posted their journey from start to finish importing a Leaf, including onboard charging during the ferry crossing. Anyone have a link to it?

Wasn't me, although I did make a similar trip. Flew to Liverpool, train to Leeds, taxi to Pontefract and then drove home to Donegal.

Any questions let me know.

But be warned, not all ferrys have charging on board. Stena told me in advance that there definitely was, they lied. I took the overnight Liverpool/Belfast ferry and on arrival at the check in the girl had no idea what I was on about. After many puzzled phone calls she told me that there are 2 boats that cover that route, and only 1 has a car charger. Needless to say I was not boarding that lucky boat!

They managed to find me a garage at the port that had a power socket I could plug my granny cable into for an hour but it was a close run thing in the morning. I made it to the FCP at Junction 1 Shopping Centre with barely 10% left. If that had been down I'd have been screwed.

Thanks Dr. Mind if I send you a PM?

• Advertisement

Soarer wrote: »
    Thanks Dr. Mind if I send you a PM?

No problem, go ahead.

PM sent.

As for the other user, I seem to remember they used Irish Ferries.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dexter1979

No need to worry about charging on the ferry. There is a charger a few km from Rosslare, one in Dublin port and one on the other side holyhead. Liverpool have some close by as well..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

There's two fast chargers within 5km of each other just past Rosslare. And another about 8km past those. Silly really. I've never seen anyone use either of them in two months of charging.
    I'd prefer to see them spread over the south east a little better.

It's mad because there isn't any fast charger west of the N11 in Wicklow, and that's a pretty big gap.

There's only 2 in Waterford county and only 2 in the whole of Kildare and considering the population of Kildare that's a bit ridiculous.

Was just having a little look around at prices, seen this 2015 Acenta in Coleraine for £12490. (not sure if you own the battery on this one or rent it?)/

http://www.nicarfinder.co.uk/used-cars/Nissan-LEAF/2015/CF103-29849/46316473/

But £12490 = €17160, pretty good price.
    Cheapest 15 Leaf on CarsIreland is €20900, next cheapest €22490.

It's 17,890 for the new leaf Visia with battery lease.

That's 10K Pounds off the new price, I'd doubt this is with the battery but no harm calling them tomorrow.

If you don't intend keeping the car after 3 years then PCP might work out a lot cheaper PM on an Irish car, especially if you don't do big mileage. This is how I'm paying for my Leaf. And you don't have to come up with a chunk of cash only a small deposit.

Is the difference in price worth the travel especially after the transport costs ? you'd be better off looking for a 2014 Tekna, well worth the drop in year for the extra kit.

Interesting, they already have the 30 Kwh advertised on the U.K Nissan site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭mr.dunkey

NIMAN wrote: »
    Was just having a little look around at prices, seen this 2015 Acenta in Coleraine for £12490. (not sure if you own the battery on this one or rent it?)/

http://www.nicarfinder.co.uk/used-cars/Nissan-LEAF/2015/CF103-29849/46316473/

But £12490 = €17160, pretty good price.
    Cheapest 15 Leaf on CarsIreland is €20900, next cheapest €22490.

Always ring and check for Battery Lease, they dealer will get your attention with low price and some will not say if it has a Flex battery. If its too good to be true it some times is.

I'd be very surprised if that's not lease.

If I was considering a LEaf the next time I change, I might look into the PCP route.
    I usually buy my cars rather than finance, but maybe PCP is the way to go, to get a new Leaf and it will give me 2 or 3 years to see if the Leaf is something I would want to stick with?

Only thing is, I know little about PCP and how it works.
    @ Mad_Lad, woudl you might PM'ing me with a few figures of what its costing you and what I could expect to pay in terms of deposit, every month and final payment if I decide to keep? I would guess I would have to estimate mileage of the Leaf at maybe 10-12,000 miles (16-20k km). Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

If I was considering a LEaf the next time I change, I might look into the PCP route.
    I usually buy my cars rather than finance, but maybe PCP is the way to go, to get a new Leaf and it will give me 2 or 3 years to see if the Leaf is something I would want to stick with?

@ Mad_Lad, woudl you might PM'ing me with a few figures of what its costing you and what I could expect to pay in terms of deposit, every month and final payment if I decide to keep? I would guess I would have to estimate mileage of the Leaf at maybe 10-12,000 miles (16-20k km). Thanks

You need to go and get a quote from a dealer, as there a huge range of options. In Ireland Nissans current PCP isn't great value at 7.9%. Mileage affect GFV and that skews things etc. ( interesting Nissans depreciation for the leaf isnt much difference to petrol cars )

Sure , I will PM you later.

Many thanks to Mad LAd for his PM explaining the PCP option. Very informative. You should be on commission from Nissan for future sales!

Many thanks to Mad LAd for his PM explaining the PCP option. Very informative. You should be on commission from Nissan for future sales!

You're welcome, :D

Indeed I should be on commission , sadly will never happen.

I wouldn't even entertain any dealer charging 7.9% I'm afraid. Thats scandalous in this day and age.

If an EV manufacturer was able to do 0% finance for a limited period, I'm sure many would be tempted.

I wouldn't even entertain any dealer charging 7.9% I'm afraid. Thats scandalous in this day and age.

If an EV manufacturer was able to do 0% finance for a limited period, I'm sure many would be tempted.

I'm not paying 7.9% on the full cost of the car though and what I'm not paying on the prius pays half the repayments _+ all the free electricity.

There's no way 0% would attract me to a diesel where there's far greater running costs. It wipes out any 0% interest.

bank loan is far more interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭robnet77

You're welcome, :D

Indeed I should be on commission , sadly will never happen.

could you PM me some info on PCP as well please?

robnet77 wrote: »
    could you PM me some info on PCP as well please?

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 J.Dev

Any chance you could forward me the PM too Madlad? Planning on getting one in the new year

• Advertisement

J.Dev wrote: »
    Any chance you could forward me the PM too Madlad? Planning on getting one in the new year

Sure , should get to it in a while.

Don't forget the 30 kWh extra range leaf should be here in January check with your local leaf dealer. It will cost extra but give you a real 140-180 Kms. Compared to 110-140 at 100 kph.

Advertisement