Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kobo in Ireland (vs Kindle?)

Options
  • 06-09-2015 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I can't see any recent threads on this, so here goes. I'm in the market for an e-reader, and was thinking of getting the latest Kobo branded one, the Kobo Glo HD, but it seems very hard to find in Ireland at anything approaching a reasonable price, and the same can be said for cases for it. Does anyone know a good place to get one?

As an aside, I'm going for this over the newest Kindle Paperwhite because I don't particularly want to be locked to one store, and the fact that the Kindle doesn't handle epub files, which I think would make it more difficult for me to get access to the classic free books. From a monetary perspective, both readers are (supposedly) the same price, but am I just making life more difficult for myself by not going for the Kindle? Are my concerns completely invalid?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Yolande

Hi, delta36,

I'm just checking out boards, too, to see advice re Kobo vs kindle - for same reasons as you - primarily to not be locked into one store - noticed there've been no replies to your thread...and just wondering what you went for in the end - what advice do you have?

Ta muchly!

Yolande

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

ePub files can be converted to mobi in seconds and emailed to your kindle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Yolande

ah, thanks, adox! - so are you recommending a kindle over a kobo? I don't have either yet - well, actually, it's for my aging mother who's finding it hard to hold books open (she only has the use of one arm and hand nowadays). I had bought her a Kobo, but that's gone to the Great Electronic Gods in the Sky, so am looking for a replacement. I have a decrepit Kobo Vox, but also a small Samsung tablet, the latter of which I now use almost exclusively for reading...but still left with the question: kobo vs kindle....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

About 70% of the content on my Kindle is from mobi and epub files that I email to my Kindle,
    I have https://calibre-ebook.com/ to manage my ebooks and once Calibre is setup I just select the book I want and email it via the program to my Kindle...or my wifes kindle.

Advertisement