Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taskmaster (Greg Davies sets some comedians daft challenges!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Penn wrote: »
    I didn't much mind when Ch4 bought Great British Bake Off (barely watched it before that anyway). But now there's Bake Off, Bake Off the Professionals, Xmas Specials of Bake Off, Celebrity Stand Up To Cancer Bake Off, and now Junior Bake Off presented by Harry Hill of all f*cking people.

Apart from the Christmas specials (not sure about them) all of those spin offs stared on BBC. Bake Off The Professionals started as Crème De La Crème on BBC and they definitely did celebrity versions of Bake Off too. Junior Bake Off started on BBC too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,808 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Apart from the Christmas specials (not sure about them) all of those spin offs stared on BBC. Bake Off The Professionals started as Crème De La Crème on BBC and they definitely did celebrity versions of Bake Off too. Junior Bake Off started on BBC too.

Ah, wasn't aware of that. Like I said, barely watched before it went to Channel 4 anyway. My point is just I hope they don't run it into the ground. What Dave have done the last few years of two series of 8-10 episodes each per year just feels like the right amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The worry as well is that one of either Greg or Alex won't follow it. I know Dave to C4 isn't anywhere near the type of move that BBC to C4 is but the GBBO lost three of its four hosts. Could you imagine if one of the two didn't stay. The US Taskmaster with Alex and Reggie Watts was appalling and that wasn't even taking into account the tasks or contestants.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I had read last week that Dave were yet to commission a new season, so I don't think it's a matter of C4 poaching it, moreso Dave being hesitant about a new season so C4 comes along and offers to fund its continuation.

Hurrache wrote: »
    I had read last week that Dave were yet to commission a new season, so I don't think it's a matter of C4 poaching it, moreso Dave being hesitant about a new season so C4 comes along and offers to fund its continuation.

I don't think Dave were under any hesitation to commission it for more. Its one of their top shows and they give it a lot of prominence. I'd say it came down to money.

Alex will definitely follow it, its basically his show (hence why he was on the US version too). I'd hope Greg sticks with it too.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but if it came to money and they didn't recommission there was still hesitation. Anyway, I suppose there's the usual renegotiation shenanigans going on that we aren't partial to be don't know who's holding out or playing hard ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

I used to think David Badiel was so intelligent.....and I'm even more convinced now. Cried with laughter so often with his ****e attempts

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

David "I'm not sure where my hip is" Baddiel :D

Some really good tasks tonight, have thoroughly enjoyed this series. I think Rose and Ed were my favourite contestants but shout out to David for being hilariously awful at everything

• Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Brilliant last episode and brilliant series again.

The final tasks are becoming weirder and weirder!

Here's hoping that Series 10 rolls around within the next six months and if it ends up on Channel 4, please god they don't botch it trying to reinvent it or improve it needlessly. If it stays on Dave, then just keep at it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Really enjoyed series and this episode. Finding the short breadstick is no sausage-finger though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Very good season finale, that's last 7 in 1 task was brilliant, Ed's attempt had me weak

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Would've been happy with either of Ed or Rose winning, they were easily the two most inventive, summed up by their great chickpea vids.

Baddiel was hilariously awful, he must be the worst contestant ever.

Jo Brand was Jo Brand and I wasn't really a fan of Katie.

Overall, really good series, and the tasks were superb. Here's to many more!

Brilliant end to the series. The tea task was hilarious, and the final task was inspired. Ed was solid throughout, no issues with him winning. Greg and Alex's fake tan was really off-putting though for the sake of one throwaway joke that barely got a titter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Brilliant end to the series. The tea task was hilarious, and the final task was inspired. Ed was solid throughout, no issues with him winning. Greg and Alex's fake tan was really off-putting though for the sake of one throwaway joke that barely got a titter.

Yeah, was a lot of effort for a ****e joke.

Was glad Ed was justified in finishing that 7 challenge task. Liked how it was properly judged too, would have been unfair to Ed if anyone else had gotten points

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

siblers wrote: »
    Yeah, was a lot of effort for a ****e joke.

Was glad Ed was justified in finishing that 7 challenge task. Liked how it was properly judged too, would have been unfair to Ed if anyone else had gotten points

I didn't even notice the fake tan joke?!

Overall a great season, David was my favourite, I couldn't get over how absolutely ****e he was, but hilarious as a result.

Ed deserved the win in all fairness.

budhabob wrote: »
    I didn't even notice the fake tan joke?!

Alex said something like "Thanks for letting me use your sunbed" during the introduction. That was it. They sat plastered in fake tan for that. Might have been funnier if it was just Alex with the fake tan.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I didn't get the tan thing either, found it weird.

Glad that Ed won, his imaginative take on the tasks and his anger were a good combo!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

New official Taskmaster Youtube channel ahoy,

all of series 1 is up there now

https://www.youtube.com/taskmaster

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Am i totally mad in saying that for the first few series' i'm nearly sure the contestants used to have their prize item physically on the stage with them? As opposed to a picture on the screen?

Just watching back the first couple of episodes of series 1 and they are on the screen!

Degag wrote: »
    Am i totally mad in saying that for the first few series' i'm nearly sure the contestants used to have their prize item physically on the stage with them? As opposed to a picture on the screen?

Just watching back the first couple of episodes of series 1 and they are on the screen!

Very rarely unless there was a reason. You might be thinking of when they used to do the 'Buy a present for the Taskmaster' task and would give him those from their chairs. They did it the first 3 or 4 series but haven't done it since.

• Advertisement

Degag wrote: »

They did that for the US version? But it was 1 person who brought in the prize each episode...

Hurrache wrote: »

Hopefully that means more of the same without changes...

dulpit wrote: »
    Hopefully that means more of the same without changes...

Saw another interview today where he said it'd be the exact same, and the Head of E4 said how it's a great show for boosting new talent, so I presume they'll keep the general mix of contestants the same too with some lesser-known comics.

Plus it's a 6-series order over 3 years.

I'm happy enough. Alex seems happy anyway and I think they know what they have works so don't mess with it.

Saw another interview today where he said it'd be the exact same, and the Head of E4 said how it's a great show for boosting new talent, so I presume they'll keep the general mix of contestants the same too with some lesser-known comics.

Plus it's a 6-series order over 3 years.

I'm happy enough. Alex seems happy anyway and I think they know what they have works so don't mess with it.

Hopefully it'll be on Channel 4 and not E4/more4 (Channel 4 is HD FTA...). I got rid of Sky before last series aired, so watched it on Dave SD. Quite fuzzy :-(

dulpit wrote: »
    Hopefully it'll be on Channel 4 and not E4/more4 (Channel 4 is HD FTA...). I got rid of Sky before last series aired, so watched it on Dave SD. Quite fuzzy :-(

Definitely Ch4 as far as I'm aware (probably wouldn't have tried to buy it if they were just going to put it on E4). Think the head of E4 was just the spokesperson for it as E4 deals more with the comedy side of things as a whole.

Forgot to post it here, but Alex Horne said on Twitter last week that Taskmaster will be back in October. Can't imagine that will change even with what's going on, but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Damn October is a long time away :(

We were spoiled with a couple of series each year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

They film the tasks anywhere between 8 and 20 weeks before the studio shows iirc, so hopefully there's enough flexibility there even with everything that's going on.

Seeing as we'll be waiting a while, do any of ye have any names you'd like to see take part next season? I'd like to see David O'Doherty have a go.

Advertisement