Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taskmaster (Greg Davies sets some comedians daft challenges!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I'm enjoying this series.

I wish they'd give Daisy a more comfortable chair.

Said that a couple of weeks ago. She looks so uncomfortable on that chair!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Daisy just seems to exude awkwardness, but ends up being really good at all the physical tasks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I've been listening to the taskmaster podcast, enjoyed first 3 episodes. Had to give up on episode 4, could not hack Paul Chowdhry.

Hopefully better guest next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

dulpit wrote: »
    I've been listening to the taskmaster podcast, enjoyed first 3 episodes. Had to give up on episode 4, could not hack Paul Chowdhry.

That's unfortunate, loved him on the show.

Morathi wrote: »
    That's unfortunate, loved him on the show.

I enjoyed him on the show too, but that is probably down to how they edited him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Jo Brand was brilliant last week. I hope Greg goes on at some stage too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭robwen

Thought the security guard with the bags task was really poor

• Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

robwen wrote: »
    Thought the security guard with the bags task was really poor
    Missing Fred the Swede myself..

.. the only worthwhile guest in tasks.

Basq wrote: »
    Missing Fred the Swede myself..

.. the only worthwhile guest in tasks.

And Rosalind.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭Penn

And Rosalind.

Oh god no.... Rosalind's a f*cking nightmare! :D

• Advertisement

One of the great things they've been doing is putting the episodes up on YT, so, just for posterity..... The Knappett

Also, while I was at it, it reminded me of something I noticed during the egg challenge in the first episode. There was a No Smoking sign behind the contestants that kept changing for each one.

I wonder if it's a series wide thing like the fish puns from...was it S5? Probably just messing with our heads. XD

• Registered Users Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The more I watch this, the less I am enjoying this season and perhaps the mystique of Taskmaster made me enjoy the first episode more than I should have.

The prize tasks have been utterly awful and to be so consistently bad after four episodes is a reflection on the contestants not the ask. They're so bad and truly shocking compared to previous season highs. It's a disaster.

The general tasks themselves have been quite lackluster bar an outlier or two. This week the security guard task was utter tosh, and the phone number task was so hard to follow that only Jonny's antics made it worthwhile. Last week the catapult task was good to watch but the grapefruit one was a bit meh.

On a side note, the podcast this week was pure and utter shíte - had to bail half way through. Paul Chowdry is desperately unfunny and made me realise what Richard Ayoade would be like without charm or personality. James Acaster on next week's podcast should be great!

The more I watch this, the less I am enjoying this season and perhaps the mystique of Taskmaster made me enjoy the first episode more than I should have.

The prize tasks have been utterly awful and to be so consistently bad after four episodes is a reflection on the contestants not the ask. They're so bad and truly shocking compared to previous season highs. It's a disaster.

The general tasks themselves have been quite lackluster bar an outlier or two. This week the security guard task was utter tosh, and the phone number task was so hard to follow that only Jonny's antics made it worthwhile. Last week the catapult task was good to watch but the grapefruit one was a bit meh.

On a side note, the podcast this week was pure and utter shíte - had to bail half way through. Paul Chowdry is desperately unfunny and made me realise what Richard Ayoade would be like without charm or personality. James Acaster on next week's podcast should be great!

This season is watchable at best and I won't be rushing to watch the repeats. The prize tasks are very poor and there is no chemistry with the guests. They're all so quiet. Daisy is good on the tasks but she's like a mouse in the studio. You could replace Richard with a cardboard cutout and it woumake no difference.

Rewatching season 05 and its miles ahead in every department. This is my fourth or fifth time watching it and it's way more enjoyable.

I've read on Reddit that season 11 is meant to be really good so hopefully this is a once off in terms of quality. Even season 6 and 8 are far better and they were very hit and miss

Yeah, it's all a little...... meh.

A few things are conspiring against it imo.

A high benchmark from other seasons, covid, the tasks being poorer, and the contestants not being at their best (that last one probably being a knock on effect in itself from the previous reasons).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

How did they end up Working out the phone number in the first task?

Glad i'm not the only person who was confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Degag wrote: »
    How did they end up Working out the phone number in the first task?

Glad i'm not the only person who was confused!

First 3 digits were on back of task, then 3 digits on a piece of paper in second locker, then 3 digits on the walkie talkie, then 3 for three French hens

One thing I'll say about the phone number task. It looked like great fun to be given the task, but not so much as a spectacle.

I don't think the issue though is the tasks themselves, it's the contestants that make or break it. And this bunch aren't brilliant, there's no stand outs. Richard Herring in particular just fades into nothingness...

One thing I'll say about the phone number task. It looked like great fun to be given the task, but not so much as a spectacle.

I don't think the issue though is the tasks themselves, it's the contestants that make or break it. And this bunch aren't brilliant, there's no stand outs. Richard Herring in particular just fades into nothingness...

Couldn't agree more. Put Rhod Gilbert, James Acaster, Tim Key, Rose Matafeo, Nish Kumar etc. into a task and no matter how good or bad the task was, they made it entertaining.

Couldn't agree more. Put Rhod Gilbert, James Acaster, Tim Key, Rose Matafeo, Nish Kumar etc. into a task and no matter how good or bad the task was, they made it entertaining.

Yeah. I don't think James Acaster, Ed Gamble and co would let the lack of a crowd stop them from having the craic in the studio. I doubt this group would be much more entertaining with a full crowd and no covid

• Advertisement

Threw on S7 again for a laugh today, ended up binging it all.

On a different level, so good. Everyone is on flying form at all times.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Richard Herring in particular just fades into nothingness...

The most disappointing contestants for me have always tended to be the older guys who you expect to be really intelligent and who would use that intelligence to come up with really clever solutions to some of the tasks. Richard Herring definitely falls into that category, along with the likes of Dave Gorman and Richard Osman. David Baddiel would be there too, except that his being so hilariously bad at the tasks rather than just being dull saved him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Frank Skinner?

I think it's better without the piped in laughter..

YouTube hard at work with its recommendations. Oldie but a goodie.

Am in the middle of watching all the series back and Skinner, Osman & Gorman are quite a bit better than i remember. Speak for the quality of the earlier series i guess!

I thought Osman was decent. There's a post on Reddit showing each contestants % of potential points earnt and he comes in 6th highest. I know that there were less episodes in his season but I like his approach for the most part. There were some tasks where he didn't seem too bothered but he's in a different league compared to Richard Herring.

Gorman was OK, I think his cheating has left a bitter taste but he had his moments.

siblers wrote: »
    I thought Osman was decent. There's a post on Reddit showing each contestants % of potential points earnt and he comes in 6th highest. I know that there were less episodes in his season but I like his approach for the most part. There were some tasks where he didn't seem too bothered but he's in a different league compared to Richard Herring.

Gorman was OK, I think his cheating has left a bitter taste but he had his moments.

How do you mean?

The cheating makes for very entertaining TV when they get caught though!

• Advertisement

Degag wrote: »
    How do you mean?

The cheating makes for very entertaining TV when they get caught though!

It's the amount of points they scored V the amount of points available.

It doesn't mean all that much considering how erratic the judging is still pretty interesting

Screenshot-20201111-221958.jpg

Advertisement