Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taskmaster (Greg Davies sets some comedians daft challenges!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Morathi wrote: »
    I have yet to watch the NZ one, but will probably remedy that soon, people seem to love it, which is great.

The US one is absolute catmalogen unfortunately.

NZ is not bad. US cant see it being a favourite tbh. They do great on dramas and sitcoms etc but this kind of thing is not really conducive to American tv

• Registered Users Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭Penn

NZ is not bad. US cant see it being a favourite tbh. They do great on dramas and sitcoms etc but this kind of thing is not really conducive to American tv

The US one they shrunk down to half the runtime, which means they just belt through the prize task, there's two main tasks but almost no studio talk about them because there's no time, then the live task.

Reggie Watts had no time to form any kind of character, instead just introducing Alex and giving points quickly. The contestants they had on the first series, two of them weren't comedians or even comedy actors really (I think one was a music producer or something). And they had Lisa Lampanelli who was just awful. Ron Funches and Kate Berlant could have been great if given more time.

Yeah, the US version was dead from the start. The shorter runtime completely ruined the momentum and breathing space the show needs to be successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Finished all of the uk ones. On the 3rd NZ one. There is a US one too, only 1 episode I can see so far though. Seems Alex Horne is on it!

The American one was a few years ago. Only okay. They tinkered with the format to fit 30 minutes, not as good.

I've been watching more of the New Zealand series, its quite excellent.

Got me wondering, who would you cast in an Irish taskmaster? I was thinking Dara O'Briain as taskmaster, David O'Doherty as his assistant. Alternatively Tommy Tiernan as taskmaster.

Cast then could be something like:
    Amy Huberman (for the mainstreams)
    Maeve Higgins (for the awkwardness, like Angela in NZ version)
    Blindboy Boatclub
    Some well established comedian like Neil Delamere, Ed Byrne, Colin Murphy, basically anybody who used be regular on Panel.
    Some new comedian who's big on twitter (Sean Burke, Michael Fry, Justine Stafford, etc)

What would you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

A Guardian writer's list of the top 100 tasks with some clips.
    Nice to see them all together and brings back some fun memories.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/feb/10/the-100-best-taskmaster-tasks-ranked

Ultimately it's only one persons opinion so not something to be over-analysed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

For fans of No More Jockeys..

https://comedy-festival.co.uk/event/no-more-jockeys-live-online/

Instant buy. Will be good fun!

New S11 trailer..

My logic for the start date is March 25th.

My reasoning:
    - Taskmaster podcast aired S2E2 discussion last Thursday.
    - They're unlikely to start discussing new episodes midway through an old series being discussed - i.e they'll finish S2 discussion before the new episodes.
    - 5 episodes in S2 - so S2E3 podcast next Thursday 4th March, S2E4 podcast on Thursday 11th March, S2E5 podcast on Thursday 18th March so S11E1 discussion on Thursday 25th March.

Basq wrote: »
    New S11 trailer..

My logic for the start date is March 25th.

My reasoning:
    - Taskmaster podcast aired S2E2 discussion last Thursday.
    - They're unlikely to start discussing new episodes midway through an old series being discussed - i.e they'll finish S2 discussion before the new episodes.
    - 5 episodes in S2 - so S2E3 podcast next Thursday 4th March, S2E4 podcast on Thursday 11th March, S2E5 podcast on Thursday 18th March so S11E1 discussion on Thursday 25th March.

I did assume that the next series would be dictated by the podcast, so good shout..

When do we think champions of champions will be?

dulpit wrote: »
    When do we think champions of champions will be?
    I would think filming shortly to be aired between S11 and S12.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭siblers

dulpit wrote: »
    I've been watching more of the New Zealand series, its quite excellent.

Got me wondering, who would you cast in an Irish taskmaster? I was thinking Dara O'Briain as taskmaster, David O'Doherty as his assistant. Alternatively Tommy Tiernan as taskmaster.

Cast then could be something like:
    Amy Huberman (for the mainstreams)
    Maeve Higgins (for the awkwardness, like Angela in NZ version)
    Blindboy Boatclub
    Some well established comedian like Neil Delamere, Ed Byrne, Colin Murphy, basically anybody who used be regular on Panel.
    Some new comedian who's big on twitter (Sean Burke, Michael Fry, Justine Stafford, etc)

What would you do?

I don't think we have enough comedians or personalities to make it work.

Dara O Brian and David O Doherty would be good. Ed Byrne wouldn't be bad.

Andrew Maxwell, Jason Byrne and Neil Delamere are dreadful

We'd just end up having the usual crowd from the RTE canteen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

siblers wrote: »

They'd be more likely to do the British one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I'm very excited about Mike Wozniak. I hope it lives up to the hype

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

siblers wrote: »
    I don't think we have enough comedians or personalities to make it work.

Andrew Maxwell, Jason Byrne and Neil Delamere are dreadful

We'd just end up having the usual crowd from the RTE canteen

Task No. 1: Find a member of the public and defend your licence funded salary without being beaten to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,011 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Good episode of No More Jockeys today after a couple of meh ones imo.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Good episode of No More Jockeys today after a couple of meh ones imo.
    Was an exciting one alright..

.. new live show on sale too: https://dice.fm/event/2mopo-no-more-jockeys-live-19th-mar-streaming-from-united-kingdom-london-tickets

Recommend them... last live show was great craic and was 2.5 hours long.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Just a bump reminder that the new series starts tonight - I sense a lack of enthusiasm after the most recent series didn't really work.

Let us hope for a return to form.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Awful so far anyway

Awful so far anyway

Worse that I had feared and I wasn’t holding out much hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

Awful so far anyway

Yea and the only one I know is Lee Mack.

At least last year most of faces were familiar ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Oh... getting real Series 6 vibes so far....

Even the audience laughter is far more muted compared to last series.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Why isn't this working that well...is it the lack of a crowd maybe? I don't think it helps....I kinda got over it with last series, Daisy May Cooper and Mawaan Rizwan were especially fun.
    Got to give it a few eps to get going to be fair.
    Actually thinking back...the new years ep...no crowd and it was tremendous fun...so maybe it's the mix of contestants is issue?

Lee Mack is going to be pretty good I would think, very quick witted in the right show, the rat thing was impressive.

Mike wozniak is an odd one, seems really creative and off the wall. Gonna be good fun I think!

Charlotte Ritchie seems sweet (she is a good comedic actress) I liked her rat task, she had a giggle with the plate thing.

Sarah Kendall is really talented I loved Frayed, I think she will grow into it and have a real go at the tasks.

Jamali Maddox not finding him entertaining so far.

I am watching this in conjunction with season 7...it's on a totally different level.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I think it's harsh to blame the contestants, the tasks are very poor. Very little room for humour in carrying plates except the plates breaking.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I think it's harsh to blame the contestants, the tasks are very poor. Very little room for humour in carrying plates except the plates breaking.
    You could be right.
    I think Lee Mack and Mike wozniak in particular could be amazing craic with the right tasks.

Bit hit and miss, Mike Wozniak was brilliant, loved his price task. Lee Mack and Charlotte Ritchie were pretty good.

Jamali kinda annoyed me though and Sarah Kendall was pretty forgettable

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Hit and miss??? Where was the hit????

It was unbelievably bad. How did they not cancel it and blame covid

Best line of opening episode
    Greg (to charlotte) - "are you an only child?"
    Lee - "another classic Greg Davies chat up line!"

Mike on the hover board was highlight though for me weirdly

Having watched series 10 over the last few days, the opening episode was the most forgettable of the bunch.

It developed into a decent series.

Probably should give this another episode.. no-one was as dreadful as Asim Chaudry tbf!

• Advertisement

Basq wrote: »
    Having watched series 10 over the last few days, the opening episode was the most forgettable of the bunch.

It developed into a decent series.

Probably should give this another episode.. no-one was as dreadful as Asim Chaudry tbf!
    I watched series 10 and would tend to agree, need to give it a few episodes.

Agree on Asim Chaudry...he was just not funny...I would throw Lolly Adefope and Dave Gorman into the mix as being pretty dreadful

Advertisement