Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taskmaster (Greg Davies sets some comedians daft challenges!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭siblers

gmisk wrote: »
    I watched series 10 and would tend to agree, need to give it a few episodes.

Agree on Asim Chaudry...he was just not funny...I would throw Lolly Adefope and Dave Gorman into the mix as being pretty dreadful

Lolly was quiet but brilliant. She worked very well in that season

• Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

siblers wrote: »
    Lolly was quiet but brilliant. She worked very well in that season
    Oh yeah don't get me wrong she was good at some tasks she just wasn't funny or entertaining which is what I value in the show (hence loving James Acaster)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Basq wrote: »
    Having watched series 10 over the last few days, the opening episode was the most forgettable of the bunch.

It developed into a decent series.

Probably should give this another episode.. no-one was as dreadful as Asim Chaudry tbf!

I actually thought the first episode of series 10 had some of the biggest laughs. Greg taking the p*ss of Daisy's "Oohhh... BATHMAT!" was one of my s10 highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I honestly think Greg was at his best in series 10..

"I have a 17-year-old and he's never gonna speak to me after this.

So be it.
    "

I did a mass rewatch of all series (as I tend to do yearly now) and he's as sharp as ever in S10.

Jury still out here but love Lee Mack so giving the first one the benefit of the doubt.

I honestly think Greg was at his best in series 10..

"I have a 17-year-old and he's never gonna speak to me after this.

So be it.
    "

I did a mass rewatch of all series (as I tend to do yearly now) and he's as sharp as ever in S10.

Jury still out here but love Lee Mack so giving the first one the benefit of the doubt.

He had to do a an awful lot of the heavy lifting in S10 and S06.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Best line of opening episode
    Greg (to charlotte) - "are you an only child?"
    Lee - "another classic Greg Davies chat up line!"

Mike on the hover board was highlight though for me weirdly

It feels like Lee makes that joke every other episode of WILTY.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I actually thought that it was a promising first episode, and it's a cast I immediately prefer over last year. The quality of the tasks will be the key part, I assume covid makes it bloody difficult.

For a first episode it was decent. I really hope they hold back the next series/CoC til they can have an audience in though, makes such a difference.

Anyone else a bit sick of the dumb Asian thing though?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

What dumb Asian thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Watchable start, but still a big drop from previous seasons. Not sure whether it's the contestants or the tasks, but the last 2 seasons haven't been great.

On a side note, is Aisling Bea the only Irish contestant to appear? Wonder why the likes of David O'Doherty (who would be brilliant), Ed Byrne or Dara O'Briain haven't done it. They're certainly scraping the barrel in terms of 'names' the last year or two, so I'm sure they'd love more big comics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

bogmanfan wrote: »
    Watchable start, but still a big drop from previous seasons. Not sure whether it's the contestants or the tasks, but the last 2 seasons haven't been great.

On a side note, is Aisling Bea the only Irish contestant to appear? Wonder why the likes of David O'Doherty (who would be brilliant), Ed Byrne or Dara O'Briain haven't done it. They're certainly scraping the barrel in terms of 'names' the last year or two, so I'm sure they'd love more big comics.

Ed is very much available for selection !

https://twitter.com/MrEdByrne/status/1197898438685462528

• Registered Users Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I'm clearly in the minority here but I enjoyed it quite a lot. Not saying it was the best ever first episode by any stretch but I enjoyed it.

Jeez, so many complaints here are how it's inferior to other series or other contestants. Can ye not enjoy it for what it is rather than what you can compare it to?

Any show that had ten largely great seasons before it is going to do well to keep getting better.

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    What dumb Asian thing?
    Heh, my bad, assumed Jamali was Asian to fit with the pattern of Paul Chowdry, Nish Kumar, Asim Chaudry (though managed not to finish last), Phil Wang, Paul Sinha (more useless than dumb). Derp.

I'm clearly in the minority here but I enjoyed it quite a lot. Not saying it was the best ever first episode by any stretch but I enjoyed it.

Jeez, so many complaints here are how it's inferior to other series or other contestants. Can ye not enjoy it for what it is rather than what you can compare it to?

Any show that had ten largely great seasons before it is going to do well to keep getting better.

With an audience I think it would have been a very strong opener.

Heh, my bad, assumed Jamali was Asian to fit with the pattern of Paul Chowdry, Nish Kumar, Asim Chaudry (though managed not to finish last), Phil Wang, Paul Sinha (more useless than dumb). Derp.

What an odd thing to highlight. Or notice.

... They are all English and were born in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think Paul Chowdry, Nish Kumar and to a lesser extent Phil Wang did purposely bad in many tasks at the expense of trying to be funny, more so than most of their competitors. Sort of in the same vein as Joe Wilkinson and Tim Key. Paul Sinha did poorly just because he didn't really suit the style of the show and was unimaginative which hampered him in most of the tasks. Asim was just poor. Jamali could still do well enough, hard to tell at this stage. Mawaan and Romesh also did really well.

I don't think there's any kind of "dumb Asian" thing though, as you also have to consider how many contestants have done really badly too, like Roisin Conaty, David Baddiel, Mel Gedroic, Joe Wilkinson and Katherine Parkinson.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Having watched series 10 over the last few days, the opening episode was the most forgettable of the bunch.

It developed into a decent series.

This. S10 E1 was pretty bad.

Lee Mack is gonna be good and Wozniak i think will be too. I think Charlotte will turn out decent too but i'm not not holding out too much hope for the other two atm. Hope i'm wrong tho.

Penn wrote: »
    I think Paul Chowdry, Nish Kumar and to a lesser extent Phil Wang did purposely bad in many tasks at the expense of trying to be funny, more so than most of their competitors. Sort of in the same vein as Joe Wilkinson and Tim Key. Paul Sinha did poorly just because he didn't really suit the style of the show and was unimaginative which hampered him in most of the tasks. Asim was just poor. Jamali could still do well enough, hard to tell at this stage. Mawaan and Romesh also did really well.

I don't think there's any kind of "dumb Asian" thing though, as you also have to consider how many contestants have done really badly too, like Roisin Conaty, David Baddiel, Mel Gedroic, Joe Wilkinson and Katherine Parkinson.

I know it's a character they're doing, that's what I find irritating about it. Puts me in mind of minstrelsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Outtake better than the episode

• Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Fun episode this week stronger than week one I thought, Mike is clearly going to be the star of the season.

Prize task not great. I did like the blood wittled spoon though.

The balloon one was excellent. Mike again really fun, so polite as well lol, Sarah had some great ideas I thought.

The insulting each other one was very fun, Mike (duck!) and Lee naturals. Charlotte is pretty adorable, but a bit useless.

The haunted house was ace as well. Broken record but Mike again so creative!...hemisect...we have all learned something new. Lee in the caravan ha ha. They all deserved their scary points. Not sure why Sarah got 5 though?! Mike and Lee robbed

Live task decent as well.....37 pints of milk a month?!? What the hell!...he drinks it neat...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

Really enjoyed tonight's episode, a big improvement on last week.

I already liked Lee Mack but the others are starting to grow on me aswell.

Big fan of new cast. Much more entertaining than season 10, and I'm enjoying Jamali pushing back against Greg...

Great episode this week. Some very good tasks and stand out performances. Mike is brilliant.

Thought the live task was pretty poor but didn't take away too much from the episode.

Good rapport between the contestants already which is good to see early on.

Think a good season is in the cards! :D

I thought Lee and Mike should have gotten 5 for the haunted house task. Sarah was lucky to get 5

Mike will probably be my favourite contestant of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Mike is a legend, wasn't familiar with him before, but he's fantastic. Knew Lee and Charlotte and have always liked them. I'm enjoying Jamali's confrontational stubborness, and then of course Sarah is there too (bit meh so far, but don't dislike her)
    Live task decent as well.....37 pints of milk a month?!? What the hell!...he drinks it neat...

I'd go through 37 pints of milk a month easily. Sure just between a big bowl of cereal every morning and a healthy drop in each mug of coffee throughout the day, thats a pint a day easily, and I do enjoy the odd pint of neat milk a couple of times a week too.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I wasn't familiar with Mike before, but I'm really enjoying him. For his commitment to the balloon task he deserved to be declared winner of the episode on the spot. Lee and Jamali I know and like, they're good entertainment. Charlotte I knew already but I'm not sure if she's right for the show tbh, but she's likeable all the same. The only one I'm struggling to warm to is Sarah. I've no idea who she is, but so far she hasn't done enough to win me over and make me want to find out more about her or watch her in other shows.

And in the unlikely event that anyone cares, I just worked out my monthly milk consumption and I'd safely say it's in excess of 30 pints. So I wouldn't class Mike's as unusual or excessive.

Yeah the milk thing wasn't that crazy. When I was working in the office and drinking tea I probably got through half a pint a day there on a day when I actually worked a good bit. :pac: Loved the description of drinking it "neat", actually had 500ml neat with a breakfast roll today, was a nice throwback. :pac:

Episode kinda just breezed by tbh. Mike is easily the best fun then Lee Mack. Still waiting for it to really kick on though tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'm glad others enjoyed because I found it very meh but I really don't know whether it's the contestants or the tasks. Even Greg seems to be struggling this season to find anything to work with. Weird that they didn't just do "who can hold the most eggs" as the live task, that could have been more fun than watching people hold up cards. The argument task was like something you would have seen on Whose Line Is It Anyway (also on All4 btw), I thought it said they had 3 minutes to prepare but it really didn't feel like it.

Advertisement