Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taskmaster (Greg Davies sets some comedians daft challenges!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

It was a pain in the ass alrigh. Just a series of links rather than something fun.

It's great that we're getting a proper studio set-up again for this series!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,062 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Judi love though? She's on a lot of panel shows, makes me actively turn off TV...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,929 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,929 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Not sure about Judy, Briggite? is very good. o Hanlon has been good. Chris Ramsey is very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

That was a fairly solid first episode

• Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The Duel task wasn't great but the live task was very good. Didn't think I'd like Judy but she was very energetic. Seems to be a good chemistry between them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭appledrop

Chris Ramsey is my favourite by a mile so far.

Don't like that Bridget one at all.

It is only week one so will see how they go.

The duck task was brilliant 👏

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Parts of the duel task felt like it had a bit of help from the crew/Alex and was a bit lame. Otherwise, very solid.

Nice to see bits of Fr.Dougal eeking out again 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

The banter is back... or just o'hanlan being bilious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

There were 2 people on the panel I was unsure about - Judy and Ardal.

Judy looks to be a solid entry however.. which Ed Gamble and Alex Horne hinted on a previous podcast.

Ardal is fine.. don't get me wrong, I loved Ted.. but Christ, I don't really get Ardal. As a comedian, he doesn't register for me and anyone who has seen his stint in "Death In Paradise" knows he can't act or deliver lines credibly.

Anyways, I would be amazed if Ramsay doesn't win this by a considerable margin.. his proactiveness in the duck task far outshone most.

Judy Love is woeful. Bridget was meh. I enjoyed the other 3.

Was worried about this season, let's see how it progresses. I did enjoy the fact that the cast were fighting their corners from episode 1, and them being back with studio audience helps too.

Great first episode albeit with a crappy duel task. Having the audience back and everyone close together makes a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Enjoyable first episode I thought Ramsey would be terrific task wise and he was, Ardal just having a lovely time doesn't seem that fussed.

Judi Love I am not a fan in general but she definitely brings a bit of chaos and aggression which I enjoyed!

I genuinely had no idea Sophie Duker was a comedian I saw her on that Frankie Boyle show, not funny.

Bridget Christie has a lot of potential not familiar with her.

Tasks were really good, even the in studio one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Solid opener. I enjoyed Judy and didn't think i'd say that cause i haven't enjoyed her in anything else prior to this. Think she'll clash with Alex and Greg as the series progresses which should be good.

Sophie and Ardal didn't bring too much to the plate i thought. But we are only one episode in of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Best prize task in quite a while. Team task and the pole task weren't great though. Team task in particular was pretty bad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Just watched the first episode, Judy is very annoying and the rest seem kinda meh so far. Can't help but feel that a better group of contestants would have had more fun with the duels.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Really enjoyed the show. Think there’s a decent mix of contestants too

Watched it. It was fine. The cast is poor though, they'll grow on me I'm sure (except Judy, she's awful), but the lack of (for me anyway) recognisable people is hurting show. The lack of comments here seems to bear that through...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm enjoying the new series and, unlike most here, I actually like Judy Love. I think she adds a bit of anarchy to the proceedings. I could do without Sophie Duker though, I don't enjoy her stand-up and she's not done much to win me over so far. Ardal O'Hanlon appears to be far more like Father Dougal in real life than I ever suspected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Judi has grown on me I didn't like her at all before this show....her face during the drawing task was amazing.

I am enjoying it, the live audience are helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Someone on Digital Spy pointed out that they get a lot less time for tasks now, which may affect their creativity. Back in the early series there was a lot of 'you have one hour' tasks, whereas nowadays 'you have 15 minutes' seems to be a standard. It may partly explain why they don't come up with great ideas on the likes of the duel task.

Whether this is a Channel 4 thing, or something that had already started in the latter Dave series is hard to know. It may ultimately be decided based on the contestant who has the least available filming time. So if say Chris Ramsey has only 5 days available to do his ~40 tasks then everyone else also has to their tasks in the same time.

I'm not a fan of Judi Love in general but I think the show works very well when it has one 'antagonist' in the contestants who is either dismissive of the process or aggressively indifferent to it. I certainly wouldn't be buying into any of her stuff post-Taskmaster but she's a nice contrast to the other contestants.

I feel like the shorter task times are in order to get contestants to do the tasks on instinct and prohibit thinking around the tasks. I think contestants these days are far more clued in to working around the rules and having a smaller window for the tasks takes the opportunity away and forces them to do exactly what they want them to do. In some cases it works a charm when its immediate chaos but in others, it leads to very boring and bland attempts.

I doubt its to do with contestants filming availability as I can't see how the production company would alter tasks based on someone's availability unless they were a mega-star. I'd say they're contracted to X days as appropriate and if someone can't do that, they've other contestants in the pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Brian2208

Are any of the new series on YouTube yet? The last couple of series have been up fairly soon after broadcast but can't see these

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

No. Noticed that myself. Only on TV so far (and catch up on demand…)

They’ve added extras online though. The 5-10 minute interviews are treated as a task by the contestants

• Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

No, I think they will be eventually, but 4OD seems to have exclusivity to them there.

Then I wonder if the new Taskmaster VOD Service will have access to them: https://taskmastersupermaxplus.vhx.tv/

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Brian2208

That site looks like it just has series 1-9, other series coming soon. 4OD will have to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I think the first 2 episodes of the new series were really enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,815 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't mind them having less time to do tasks, as I'm sure if they have a decent idea but it takes more time to set up they'll be given the time.

Some of the tasks do get needlessly complicated though.

Been a strong start to the series though, I think it's a great mix of contestants. Loving Bridget Christie in particular. Her episode of Off Menu Podcast with Ed Gamble and James Acaster was hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Channel 4 orders The Horne Section TV Show

Channel 4 has commissioned a new comedy series from The Horne Section, the band led by Alex Horne.

Horne has been working with the music group since 2010, when they first performed together at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe. The Horne Section are: Alex Horne (band leader), Joe Auckland (trumpet and banjo), Mark Brown (saxophone and guitar), Will Collier (bass), Ben Reynolds (drums and percussion) and Ed Sheldrake (keyboards). The band have appeared on such programmes as The Last Leg and Dictionary Corner on 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown. Away from the screen they host the podcast The Horne Section Podcast and Alex Horne Presents The Horne Section on BBC Radio 4.

https://vodzilla.co/blog/vod-news/channel-4-orders-the-horne-section-tv-show/

Advertisement