Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taskmaster (Greg Davies sets some comedians daft challenges!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm starting to miss when the prize task at the start was proper stuff that they owned and brought from home. It always led to better jokes/comments. They had one the series before last with "Bring in the heaviest item that can fit in a shoebox". Only for Paul Chowdry the bit would have been a complete bust. Rob Beckett just filled one with concrete and Dave Gorman's had marble in it.

I get it's hard to think of original ideas for stuff they have to bring in, but it should still be stuff the contestants own/have.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Haven't watched this season yet but will admit it's the first season where I am not a big fan of at least one contestant.

Now this isn't to say I don't like them, just haven't seen enough of them, same was true for Tim Key and loved him. Going to sit down with it tonight and can't wait, worth it for Alex and Greg at least!

From people who have watched it already, how's it holding up against other seasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Haven't watched this season yet but will admit it's the first season where I am not a big fan of at least one contestant.

Now this isn't to say I don't like them, just haven't seen enough of them, same was true for Tim Key and loved him. Going to sit down with it tonight and can't wait, worth it for Alex and Greg at least!

From people who have watched it already, how's it holding up against other seasons?

It's missing something, I haven't had any major belly laugh moments in the first couple of episodes.

Adamocovic wrote: »

Bob Mortimer should be great, and Sally Philips is a dark horse. I think she'll turn out to be fairly great.

Mark Watson is useless, not suited to the show at all. Nish and Aisling can be hit or miss. I think with Nish though his value to the show will be Greg taking the p*ss of him rather than what Nish actually says or does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Aisling Bea is extremely extremely annoying... dont find her funny in the slightest, the robot hug thing was one of the cringeiest piece of telly ive ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Nish is abysmal and has such an irritating voice. Aisling can be funny but is trying so hard to be hilarious that it's cringey.

Bob and Sally look like great craic whereas Mark seems like he'll be this year's non-event.

Definitely missing something but it has the ingredients to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

can't get uktv player to work

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Another week, another new episode up on UKTV everyone..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Basq wrote: »
    Another week, another new episode up on UKTV everyone..

Yeah, it's becoming more apparent that UKTV are very much getting on board with the way people watch television these days, by rewarding those who use the On Demand feature... UKTV is a subsidiary of the BBC, so presumably they don't have to rely on advertising revenue as much.

Live task this week was great fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

There's the link to Colin Coconut Ltd at Companies House (as featured in the Coconut BusinessMan task), Mark Watson is the only Director, I wonder if that's his actual address ?

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10844950

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I noticed it last week when they showed the Colin coconut company page it says registered Nov 2016. Are they filming the tasks that far back from airing the show then just doing the studio bit months later?

Edit. The link above says incorporated in June. Nearly sure it said Nov 16 in the show. Must have a look later

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I noticed it last week when they showed the Colin coconut company page it says registered Nov 2016. Are they filming the tasks that far back from airing the show then just doing the studio bit months later?

Edit. The link above says incorporated in June. Nearly sure it said Nov 16 in the show. Must have a look later

This interview with Alex Horne confirms they were filming this series in September 2016 (and possibly earlier)
    It takes approximately one day with each contestant per episode to film all the tasks over a series of months. “Bob [Mortimer] did his first one at the end of September 2016 and his last one this July,” he explains, “some tasks take two minutes, some take two hours. We always go for a drink with them before and we go through and explain the process, because a lot of them think that it’ll only be one task in a day, whereas we actually get about eight done in a day. It’s a weird day, but really fun.”

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/taskmaster/51891/taskmaster-alex-horne-on-series-5-casting-remakes-the-future

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Anyone watching last nights episode? Alex seemed to be replaced by someone else (or at least he had way less hair) for a moment just before going for a break during the sneezing challenge!!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Degag wrote: »
    Anyone watching last nights episode? Alex seemed to be replaced by someone else (or at least he had way less hair) for a moment just before going for a break during the sneezing challenge!!!:confused:

He was swapped, they changed him momentarily for the guy who swapped places with him in the spot the differences task

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

skipper_G wrote: »
    He was swapped, they changed him momentarily for the guy who swapped places with him in the spot the differences task
    Ah now it makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I mean, it’s pretty obvious, and has been for all past series, that they film the tasks months in advance, so they can pick and choose which ones to show in any given episode to manipulate who might win each week (live tasks excepted). They even have a bunch of tie-breakers banked in advance. Editing is a huge part of this show - they don’t even try to hide that it is!

To me, the success or otherwise of each series (I thought) depended on the mix, and though I really like most of the participants for this one, it’s not working as well for me this series, don’t know why.

Eeden wrote: »
    I mean, it’s pretty obvious, and has been for all past series, that they film the tasks months in advance, so they can pick and choose which ones to show in any given episode to manipulate who might win each week (live tasks excepted). They even have a bunch of tie-breakers banked in advance. Editing is a huge part of this show - they don’t even try to hide that it is!

I disagree to an extent. We've seen on many occasions that one word from a contestant can make Greg completely change the points awarded. I think it's more of a case where they film a lot of tasks, some simply don't make it onto the show because they're not funny or don't work properly, and then most of the rest are chosen in order to keep a variance in types of task in each episode. The tie-breakers are also ones that all the contestants do because they don't know who will be tied for the lead.

They don't need to manipulate who might win in each episode because it doesn't matter to anyone who wins. I agree they might do it for the occasional episode (for example the episode where Paul Chowdry won), but they don't do it all the time because there's no point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

This line up isn't as strong as some of the previous ones, Mark Watson seems too low-energy for this kind of thing, and much as I love Vic & Bob, Bob Mortimer isn't as funny on his own.

Having said that, I just watched the latest episode, and it's definitely the best of the series so far. The show's often at it's funniest when they screw around with the contestants so getting Mark to do the texting task on his own and then giving him nothing for it was great, as was disqualifying Aisling from the cans/countries task right at the start but not telling her :) Still the best comedy on TV.

• Advertisement

You bubbly f*ck!

:D

You bubbly f*ck!

:D

That and the pep talk after the
    Sudoku
    clip was great...

That and the pep talk after the
    Sudoku
    clip was great...
    "You're not a bad guy, Nish..."
    :D:D:D

Also, Sally Philips is beyond amazing. Some of the tasks she's so normal and just gets to it etc, but then sometimes she goes absolutely batsh*t crazy.

Penn wrote: »
    Also, Sally Philips is beyond amazing. Some of the tasks she's so normal and just gets to it etc, but then sometimes she goes absolutely batsh*t crazy.
    The
    birthing video
    was something else.. she's completely mental, but brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

how long do they take filming in the theatre

That was great!

Should the finale not be up on the player by now? No sign on my sky.

Also, anyone know when the American one is airing?

Should the finale not be up on the player by now? No sign on my sky.
    It's not being put up on UKTV player in advance unfortunately, so we'll need to wait til next week: https://twitter.com/taskmaster/status/923252539281244160
    Also, anyone know when the American one is airing?
    Not been announced but I'd guess midseason (January / February).

It's not being put up on UKTV player in advance unfortunately, so we'll need to wait til next week: https://twitter.com/taskmaster/status/923252539281244160

Booooooo!!!

:mad:

• Advertisement

Fuppers could have said that in advance. There was no point being a week ahead all along if you've a 2 week gap at the end.

At least modern life is goodish is back next week :)

Advertisement