Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to go faster next year; does anybody mind if I draft?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Just focus on your own race and enjoyment whilst riding legal, too much wasted energy thinking about what others do and how their results compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I was overtaken by a group yesterday. I dropped back. TI motorbike pulls up on back wheel of the group ahead, revs the engine loudly for about 30seconds until they notice him. The lads at the back drop back out of draft zone. I need to drop my speed as a result. Bike drives on. Lads sprint back into a group and 400m up the road pass out the bike who'd pulled into the side.

It's like speeding, drink driving, running red lights whatever if those meant to be penalizing the conduct don't they you can hardly expect the people racing to follow the rules if there is no fear of getting caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Just focus on your own race and enjoyment whilst riding legal, too much wasted energy thinking about what others do and how their results compare.

Easier said than done Fran. Yesterday you could pass a group and ride legal for a few minutes. Then they'd charge past again and after you drop back you start gaining on them. Wrinse and repeat makes it difficult to race without burning a load of matches. That coupled with narrow roads and some groups the width of the road can make it quite frustrating and stop-start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

The other alternative is this :pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

pgibbo wrote: »

Been readingabout her. Its hard to tell if she has any honest results. Her times are all over the place. Theres cheating, and then theres Cheating, Julie style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

pgibbo wrote: »
    Oryx wrote: »
    Been readingabout her. Its hard to tell if she has any honest results. Her times are all over the place. Theres cheating, and then theres Cheating, Julie style.

Did you read the ST thread(s) about her? Some investigative work down by posters over there :D

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

AKW wrote: »
    Did you read the ST thread(s) about her? Some investigative work down by posters over there :D

I have it bookmarked. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Link? I'm never on slowtwitch...

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

First time triathlete this year, and over the course of 6 sprints and an Olympic drafting is the one thing that is spoiling the experience for me.

In general when these groups passed me out I first thought so what, they're just cheating themselves to gain a few places, they're not putting anyone out much.

Then at CK in Mullingar I was passed 10k in by a couple from the same club who I watched leap-frog each other all the way up the road. I took the time to look them up on the results to find they had both placed top 2 in their age groups, times on finishing the bike leg almost identical. Really makes my blood boil that they are taking their fellow competitors for suckers.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

It's pretty pathetic when you want to win so badly (or gain a few finishing places) that you knowingly and deliberately cheat to do so. And why? What does that person really gain? And what does that tell us about that person and the way they view/measure themselves? It tells me they have some serious image issues and place way too much value in something that is extracurricular fluff. Not pretty...and kinda sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I think it's time to name and shame. Any one that you see drafting especially groups from the same club together should be named here.

If the same clubs keep coming up they may eventually be embarrassed into stopping or ti might eventually have to have a word

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

What can be done to combat this seeing as it appears the bike officials are rarely handing out penalties? Should all official bikes have GoPro's mounted so that if a complaint is raised by a competitor the video could be reviewed etc? Time consuming yes, but something to deter the repeat offenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I thought the bike Marshalls all did have go pro's? I know they definitely did at one race I have done, they announced it at the start. I don't know if it's the races I done this year or what but I didn't see a whole lot of drafting this year at all, definitely not as much as I did last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

joey100 wrote: »
    I thought the bike Marshalls all did have go pro's? I know they definitely did at one race I have done, they announced it at the start. I don't know if it's the races I done this year or what but I didn't see a whole lot of drafting this year at all, definitely not as much as I did last year.

"Now remember folks, we have Go Pro's and we are prepared to use them!. So no acting the bollix out there"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Cameras were tried before, didn't work as they were deemed to be static analysis and as such podge and his mates would need to be pinged three separate times to be done. Alot of work when no one really cares "Shut up and give us your money, and sure aren't the juniors great"

Went something like that alright! It was more along the lines of if you get a penalty and want to appeal it just be aware that there are go pro's on the bikes so it's not your word against the marshalls, there will be evidence!

joey100 wrote: »
    Went something like that alright! It was more along the lines of if you get a penalty and want to appeal it just be aware that there are go pro's on the bikes so it's not your word against the marshalls, there will be evidence!

Drafting penalties are "judgement calls" and as such cannot be appealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Is there any type of proximity sensor that would record infringements, and once the bike is racked in T2 the data uploaded and penalties issued.

once of course you get over the initial road blocks,
    who pays for this, associating to the athlete
    and of course if they want to cheat then they will cheat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

If a race has an out-and-back route there's usually more drafting than a looped course IMO. Don't know whether this is from people following by example (you see the front end trains looking much fresher than the solo guys) or bunching and congestion.

Either way I had determined to ignore drafters, let them do their thing and I'll do mine. However, you have to constantly sit up or drop off when a train pulls in front of you (and you can do this quite often when everyone in the train pulls in front of you individually, thinking you're part of the group). Do this again and again and your bike suffers, through no fault of your own. Ignore them and keep going at your usual effort, and now you find yourself part of an illegal draft bunch. That's the biggest problem, I find.

• Advertisement

BennyMul wrote: »
    Is there any type of proximity sensor that would record infringements, and once the bike is racked in T2 the data uploaded and penalties issued.

once of course you get over the initial road blocks,
    who pays for this, associating to the athlete
    and of course if they want to cheat then they will cheat.

Something I thought about this week. I'd say between Mossy and a few other of us here on boards it could be developed :pac:

Never knew that Dave, the way it's been said at some races about the appeals procedure made out that you could appeal a drafting penalty.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    If a race has an out-and-back route there's usually more drafting than a looped course IMO. .

i'd suspect that's just because you have more opportunity to see them on an out and back course kurt, i doubt there is much difference

I'd say between Mossy and a few other of us here on boards it could be developed :pac:

i hope that's not because of a conception i'd be a good test bed as a frequent drafter:eek::eek:

mossym wrote: »
    i hope that's not because of a conception i'd be a good test bed as a frequent drafter:eek::eek:

Lol no, just figured with your background you might be able to help out somewhat with the design.

Lol no, just figured with your background you might be able to help out somewhat with the design.

was hoping that was it alright:D

You could do something with analysis of garmin data. Everyone must have a GPS unit....

would have said Lost sheep was the cleanest race i saw, then i saw this
    11988331_752993771489799_6706113271075511874_n.jpg?oh=0a1d8335badc5bc33ce0d3e3b0213166&oe=5662D215

Something I thought about this week. I'd say between Mossy and a few other of us here on boards it could be developed :pac:

Everyone should have a microchip embedded that acts as a continual GPS tracking device that is 'only' used for triathlon racing.

I'm sure the NSA would be delighted to sponsor mass chipping of populations ;)

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    would have said Lost sheep was the cleanest race i saw, then i saw this
    11988331_752993771489799_6706113271075511874_n.jpg?oh=0a1d8335badc5bc33ce0d3e3b0213166&oe=5662D215

Love the way yer man peeps out from behind the lead woman to smile at the camera! :rolleyes:

Advertisement