Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bird poo etching on clearcoat

• 06-09-2015 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Dam birds are aiming at my car these days :mad:. They pooed on my car yesterday and I removed it when I came home after a few hours. The clearcoat is etched (middle of bonnet). I also have a slight etch mark on the rear wing.

Can these be removed by hand with a product or is it a job for a machine polisher. Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

95%+ of the time, it will require machine polishing, unfortunately.....to full remove any evidence - hand polishing may help hide it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I had to run out and wipe some birds poo off the bootlid earlier. If I catch her at it again......!!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Sinister Pigeon

When will this ever end?
    Ya take one dump on a car and...........

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭cnoc

I have a big problem with birds dirt on my car - the neighbours are forever throwing bread and other stuff out for them. My car makes good target practice! Yesterday, for example, there were 4 or 5 different birds dirt on the car.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭guile4582

so a bird crapped on my car about a month ago when it was cold and despite being through the car wash twice the stain is still there!

am i looking at a paint job here? or could a valet dude get rid of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Probably not as bad as a new paint job, but it may have to be machined polished depending on the damage. If the crap is still bonded to the paint then clay may lift it off, however if it's actually etched through the clear coat then a machine polish would be the next step.

any idea on the cost of a polish roughly? its on the boot.

will try the clay, worth a shot...is there any products in Halfords worth trying too?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Probably 50 quid to sort out the panel the etching is on - but then you might see a difference in colour or the panel that has been machined, meaning the whole car would need to be done to match.

Curran wrote: »
    Probably 50 quid to sort out the panel the etching is on - but then you might see a difference in colour or the panel that has been machined, meaning the whole car would need to be done to match.

think I might swing by a valet and ask them first and then probably look at something like this

thanks for the advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

The ideal thing to do is buy a bottle of polish (Chemical Guys V36 f.e.) and a few microfibre cloths. As soon as you see bird crap clean it off asap with a wet tissues. If it's gone dry, let the tissue sit on top of it for a minute to soften it up and gently remove it by swiping slowly. Never use a circular motion as this can create swirl marks in your paint.

If there's etching left behind, use a pea-sized amount of polish on an MF cloth and gently rub the area with it while applying a small bit of pressure. This will remove the etching with a bit of patience.

The key is to remove it asap to avoid hassle and hopefully not have to use the polish.
    guile4582 wrote: »
    think I might swing by a valet and ask them first and then probably look at something like this

thanks for the advice

Curran is a knowledgeable detailer. I'd be surprised if a valetor can offer any more/better advice.

• Advertisement

thanks very much.its been on the car for a month :(
    still worth trying that polish ya reckon?

In that case I would think it's too late. Whereabouts are you located?

sandyford

Try Brian Higgins at Kingpin detailing 087/9737305. He can travel to you and travels within 1 hour of the M50 at no extra cost.

I would suggest Elite Auto Clean but they're in D 15.

Advertisement