Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am considering switching from Apple to Samsun...?

Options
  • 06-09-2015 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

What will I lose?

This phone looks drop dead gorgeous...

http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-s6-edge+/

Unless the iPhone 6S (or 7) is a world beater in two week's time, and has a price to match, I may switch to Samsung.

After 7 years of Apple, I have accumulated lots of apps, music and photos.

What will I lose if I switch?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

You will loose a boring homescreen,iTunes, for me that's already a win...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

And then switch to Samsung who fill their phones full of bloatware, half arsed features and slow update cycles.
    Even worse is any potential rom updates can brick your phone which is why hardly any of the big xda dev teams code for samsung phones...Viper squad only code for HTC phones and they have some great roms.
    You will lose all your apps...if they're free its no big deal as there would be android versions, music you can get it off and transfer across.
    Your photos you can manually copy across as well and transfer to dropbox or google drive.

Blazer wrote: »
    And then switch to Samsung who fill their phones full of bloatware, half arsed features and slow update cycles.
    Even worse is any potential rom updates can brick your phone which is why hardly any of the big xda dev teams code for samsung phones...Viper squad only code for HTC phones and they have some great roms.
    You will lose all your apps...if they're free its no big deal as there would be android versions, music you can get it off and transfer across.
    Your photos you can manually copy across as well and transfer to dropbox or google drive.

Apple fanboy ?? :D I have a solution,buy a windows phone ???:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

thanks for the replies.

I'm currently using a 4S, so I've passed on the 5, 5S and 6 - three generations. I'm not passing on a 4th generation! 😎 I've also decided I want a phablet - I've never owned a tablet and don't want one.

So, it will be a Samsung or an iPhone 6S Plus (or, 7 Plus - whatever the biggest one is called.)

If you Google "best phablet 2015", the last Samsung comes out on top everytime, with the iPhone 6 Plus almost always second.

My main use for a phone is, web, photography, games, apps, text and phone, in that order. So, I want a big screen.

The Samsung 6 Edge Plus vs iPhone 6S Plus reviews in the next few weeks will make for interesting reading.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭DopeTech

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Apple fanboy ?? :D I have a solution,buy a windows phone ???:pac:

I'd definitely recommend a windows phone but to be honest I can't really see Microsoft picking up much more market share at least not for the next few years..I'd switch in a heartbeat then.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

I have been using iPhone for years and briefly made the switch to Samsung and tried One Plus One for a couple weeks.
    I'm back with iPhone again.
    That says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

I moved from an iphone 5 to an Xperia Z2 a few months ago. Previously had a 4 and the original iphone.

The biggest things I've missed are:
    - iMessage: iMessage is just so seamless and works so well. You dont need to know if the recipient is on hangouts/viber/whatsapp/fbmessenger etc. It just works.
    - iMovie: Havent found anything as good. Have settled on cyberlink powerdirector for the moment. Its very clunky in comparison.
    - Camera: The xperia is good some of the time. But it doesnt have the consistency of the iphone camera. Sometimes its better. But just often will capture an overexposed shot with no detail. The iphone camera is *very* reliable in real world use.
    - Quality of apps: I know IOS has plenty of shovelware apps. But the amount on android in unbelievable. This can make finding certain types of app difficult.
    - Pebble features: Have read online that pebble is supposed to run better on android. However some the basics just dont work. e.g. Not possible to answer phone. Dismissing notifications never works. I had to install a 3rd party app to get universal music control.

The pluses:
    - Value for money is great.
    - Great battery life on the xperia
    - Some apps do run better: mainly lastpass integration.
    - I like the notification light on the xperia (and most other android phones)

Definitely check if the all of the apps you need are there. There are a few notable ios apps with no android version. e.g. overcast, tweetbot etc.

Thanks again for the replies.

Like I wrote above, I will definitely be buying a phablet. If last year's reviews are anything to go by, it will again be a toss up between Samsung and iPhone.

I will be buying outright, so price may be an issue. The 16mp Sony camera in the new Samsung is also very tempting.
    D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭StonyIron

Major issue is you'll lose any apps you've purchased.

I'm not an Apple Fanboi, but the big advantages for me anyway are seamless integration with OS X desktop. It's nice to be able to text and take calls on screen and that kind off thing.

Samsung's product is pretty polished too though.

Just depends really. One revolves around iCloud the other around Google.

I find them much of a muchness.

Overall, I find iOS has more reliable apps and a more consistent user experience, but you compromise on customisable features.

They're both excellent platforms it's just a personal choice thing.

• Advertisement

Blazer wrote: »
    I'd definitely recommend a windows phone but to be honest I can't really see Microsoft picking up much more market share at least not for the next few years..I'd switch in a heartbeat then.

True they are in trouble which is a shame

Sony's announcement over the last couple of days is really going to throw the cat amongst the pigeons.

http://www.sonymobile.com/ie/products/phones/xperia-z5-premium/?cpint=SG_CATEGORY_SEC-TOUT-CAT-MOBILE-TABLET-EN_GL-2015-07-HOTNEWPRODUCTS-02

Super HD video and a 24Mp camera in a phone! If someone had said this to you only a year ago you'd have laughed.

I love Sony products. The 'phablet' reviews will be even more interesting now. If Apple don't pull a rabbit out of the hat tomorrow, I predict they'll have a bad quarter. Right now, their USP seems to be locking people into their ecosystem.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

boardzz wrote: »
    I have been using iPhone for years and briefly made the switch to Samsung and tried One Plus One for a couple weeks.
    I'm back with iPhone again.
    That says it all really.

Doesn't say a lot. Everyone is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Dinarius wrote: »
    Sony's announcement over the last couple of days is really going to throw the cat amongst the pigeons.

http://www.sonymobile.com/ie/products/phones/xperia-z5-premium/?cpint=SG_CATEGORY_SEC-TOUT-CAT-MOBILE-TABLET-EN_GL-2015-07-HOTNEWPRODUCTS-02

Super HD video and a 24Mp camera in a phone! If someone had said this to you only a year ago you'd have laughed.

I love Sony products. The 'phablet' reviews will be even more interesting now. If Apple don't pull a rabbit out of the hat tomorrow, I predict they'll have a bad quarter. Right now, their USP seems to be locking people into their ecosystem.

D.

PureView 808 and Lumia 1020 ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The Galaxy s5 is very buggy. At least with all the bloat ware anyway. Used it for work and was bloody delighted to get my iPhone back.

The Galaxy s5 is very buggy. At least with all the bloat ware anyway. Used it for work and was bloody delighted to get my iPhone back.

How does 'buggy' manifest itself? Shutdown? Apps crashing? What? Thanks.

To be fair to Apple, buggy is all but non-existent with them, at least in my 4S experience.

D.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

To be fair to Apple, buggy is all but non-existent with them, at least in my 4S experience.

D.

Aside from browser crashes and general crashes it would occasionally just not accept incoming calls at all which was not resolved until it was rebooted. While the whole time telling you it had good coverage. Not a good random bug for a work phone.

Was following the Apple launch just now. Pretty much as leaked re the iPhone. So, it will be interesting to see what the tech reviewers think. Will be very interested in it vs the Sony phablet.

D.

Ps. Whatever about the phone, the new iPad Pro is a game changer. The laptop is dead, methinks.

Well, last night's launch was a damp squib, I think. A typical "S" launch, "Move along now, nothing to see here...", at least in terms of the phone. The iPad is another matter.

I know I mentioned the Samsung in the title of this thread, but I really think I'm going to find it very hard to resist the Sony.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/iPhone-6s-Plus-vs-Xperia-Z5-Premium-vs-Galaxy-S6-edge-specs-comparison_id73561

And doesn't the iPhone design look dated already? I certainly think so.

I think I'll take a year out with the Sony, and then consider my position when the iPhone 7 arrives. The 6S isn't worth it.

So, last question........

Where's the best place to buy the Sony Xperia Z5 Premium outright?

Many thanks all

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Well, last night's launch was a damp squib, I think. A typical "S" launch, "Move along now, nothing to see here...", at least in terms of the phone. The iPad is another matter.

I know I mentioned the Samsung in the title of this thread, but I really think I'm going to find it very hard to resist the Sony.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/iPhone-6s-Plus-vs-Xperia-Z5-Premium-vs-Galaxy-S6-edge-specs-comparison_id73561

And doesn't the iPhone design look dated already? I certainly think so.

I think I'll take a year out with the Sony, and then consider my position when the iPhone 7 arrives. The 6S isn't worth it.

So, last question........

Where's the best place to buy the Sony Xperia Z5 Premium outright?

Many thanks all

D.

As someone who has an Iphone (got it for a present, won't be staying with it), why on earth would you go from probably the most powerful phone around, back to an apple Iphone next year? If you think the Z5 premium is powerful/good, Sony's z6 will more than likely obliterate everything in it's wake.

In truth, I'm waiting for some serious reviews of the Sony before I make up my mind. It's a lot of money.

My main concern is having as big a screen as possible. So, another strategy would be to buy a second-hand Samsumg and try out the non-iPhone format for 12 months.

Where's the best place to buy second-hand in Dublin?

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

What will I lose?

This phone looks drop dead gorgeous...

http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-s6-edge+/

Unless the iPhone 6S (or 7) is a world beater in two week's time, and has a price to match, I may switch to Samsung.

After 7 years of Apple, I have accumulated lots of apps, music and photos.

What will I lose if I switch?

Thanks.

D.

Don't. I used both. The iPhone wins hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

D.

Bluetooth issues.
    Apps crashing
    Screen freezing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 FlickBean

I have the S6 Edge and love it Dinarius - have had no issues and it's sexy to look at ;)

FlickBean wrote: »
    I have the S6 Edge and love it Dinarius - have had no issues and it's sexy to look at ;)

One of the best looking phones out there today albeit it expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

I recently bought a Samsung S6. Worked fine for the first few weeks but now it just randomly slows down with program crashes and programs just not working unless you kill them and restart. I understand there are things I can do to 'fix' this but I never had to on an iPhone. Also had to disable stuff to get decent battery life, again something I never had to do on an iPhone.

Definitely going back to iPhone. Life is just too short to put up with Androids issues. I like Windows Phone too but lack of support by third party company's and it seems Microsoft made me try out the S6.

Update available now on S6 Edge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭StonyIron

The biggest issue is choice of OS. There are advantages and disadvantages to both platforms.

Raw specs aren't actually as big a deal as user experience as some people would have you believe.

You need to pick the phone you're happiest using.

Advertisement