Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am considering switching from Apple to Samsun...?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The problem with Samsungs is the terrible touch wiz skin they put on. Google create some good standard platforms to which Samsung layers on an awful lot of crap, so you're not really comparing iOS with Android most of the time.

I'm not sure if they've toned it down a bit but it's pretty crappy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭mudstack

Both are good.
    I have always used Android but have developed some iOS stuff.

I still prefer Android as it's the operating system I am used to but I like iOS more than I used to since it became more like Android e.g. app screen, swipe to dismiss apps and widgets.

The 6 and 6 plus are more like the Android form factor now too i.e. bigger screen, funny as iPhone used to advertise their small screen as an advantage over bigger Android screens!

I personally don't like the bloatware you get with a Samsung. If I was getting an Android, I would go HTC, One Plus or one of the Nexus phones(two new Nexus phones out prob end of month).

I know you said you want a phablet but coming from the small 4s, it might be worth a look at the smaller Android flagship phones, most of which are still bigger than the 4s.

I find that most people who switch from Android to iOS or vice versa usually miss their old operating system and eventually return though.
    Personally, I couldn't live without a back button that Android provides!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Had an iphone 4s last year them moved to a Samsung s4 mini now onto a s5 mini. I'm planning on moving back to iphone with an iphone 6 soon.

Both are grand. Whichever you personally like best is what is best.

I like that my Samsung is rooted and I can just Google any paid app and get it free. But I also like the apple OS and the keyboard and just it's simplicity.

My trend seems to be go back and forth every time I go to buy a new phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭str|ct9

I went from an iPhone 5S to Xperia Z3.

Am now back on an iPhone 6.

Will not be going back to Android.

Between apps crashing and not working as they should (even basic stuff like messaging and volume control from headphones), I was spending so much time googling solutions and installing other apps from the play store or reading up on forums, that I just got fed up with it.

I also didn't have any confidence in android from a security pov. Updates take forever to get to it (months after release of lollipop i was still waiting on sony to release it).

I remember hearing whenever Apple released a feature on iOS that it had been on android years before. An example being do not disturb. That may be true, but what I discovered was just how poorly it works on android.

Android just seems so badly thought out and executed. The biggest attraction for me was how customisable things could be. That may be true, but it comes at a price - your time (and patience!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Again I would think some of those issues may be caused by the software Sony load.

Stock android really can be a world apart. I'm using a Sony myself at the moment for work, as well as a personal phone using stock android and I don't get the same issues on the stock android phone. However I do like Sonys layer compared to others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

When iPhone 6S is fully up and running, will it be possible to pick up the 6 Plus (from last year) for reasonable money?

If only half the scare stories about OS stability I hear are true, that would drive me nuts. iPhone is rock solid, pure and simple. Nothing goes wrong with it.

But, what annoys me equally is the pathetic "incremental" upgrade that the 6S Plus represents. If I could get a 64Gb 6 Plus for good money, I just might go for it, and hold out for the 7 next year. Where would I look?

Thanks.

D.

Dinarius wrote: »
    When iPhone 6S is fully up and running, will it be possible to pick up the 6 Plus (from last year) for reasonable money?

If only half the scare stories about OS stability I hear are true, that would drive me nuts. iPhone is rock solid, pure and simple. Nothing goes wrong with it.

But, what annoys me equally is the pathetic "incremental" upgrade that the 6S Plus represents. If I could get a 64Gb 6 Plus for good money, I just might go for it, and hold out for the 7 next year. Where would I look?

Thanks.

D.

What do you consider a good price?

MarkY91 wrote: »
    What do you consider a good price?

I have no idea. The 64gb 6 Plus was
    €899, correct? If so, I'm VAT registered, so it would have cost me €730.

Who sells second hand Apple phones?

Could I just put my 4S SIM card into a 6 Plus and start using it?

Thanks.

D.

Dinarius wrote: »
    I have no idea. The 64gb 6 Plus was
    €899, correct? If so, I'm VAT registered, so it would have cost me €730.

Who sells second hand Apple phones?

Could I just put my 4S SIM card into a 6 Plus and start using it?

Thanks.

D.

ah right youre after a brand new one then? i was asking as adverts is full of iphones, usually brand new or almost brand new. ive one for sale soon but its not new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭mudstack

str|ct9 wrote: »
    I went from an iPhone 5S to Xperia Z3.

Am now back on an iPhone 6.

Will not be going back to Android.

Between apps crashing and not working as they should (even basic stuff like messaging and volume control from headphones), I was spending so much time googling solutions and installing other apps from the play store or reading up on forums, that I just got fed up with it.

I also didn't have any confidence in android from a security pov. Updates take forever to get to it (months after release of lollipop i was still waiting on sony to release it).

I remember hearing whenever Apple released a feature on iOS that it had been on android years before. An example being do not disturb. That may be true, but what I discovered was just how poorly it works on android.

Android just seems so badly thought out and executed. The biggest attraction for me was how customisable things could be. That may be true, but it comes at a price - your time (and patience!)

That sounds awful, must have been a faulty phone.

I have never had a major or minor issue really that I can think of with Android myself nor have, I assume, the majority of Android users who accounted for about 75% of all smartphone users in 2014.

• Advertisement

MarkY91 wrote: »
    ah right youre after a brand new one then? i was asking as adverts is full of iphones, usually brand new or almost brand new. ive one for sale soon but its not new.

Not necessarily a brand new one, but the price would want to reflect the VAT deduction I would get on a new one, in addition to the deduction for being second-hand.

Thanks.

D.

Advertisement