Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring an Ikea lamp to a tree pin round plug! help please!!!

Options
  • 06-09-2015 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Ok so I bought a new lamp today in Ikea, we have round pin socket plugs in our sitting room for lamps, so they can be controlled from the wall switch (someone thought this would be a good idea!) So when I got home I assumed (wrongly) that this would be as simple as changing the three round pin plug from the old lamp and putting it on the New one. On snipping the plug off the Ikea lamp though I can see it only has two wires, live and neutral, no earth wire. So my problem is that the round plug has no fuse so I am nervous about just wiring the two wires and plugging it in.

Can any one tell me if this is safe to do? Or how can I get around this problem.

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

The lamp you bought from Ikea doesn't need an earth or one would have been provided in the cabling & plug. Just connect the live and neutral to the 5A (round type) plug and you're fine. The lamp you bought mustn't have any exposed metal components and hence, doesn't need the earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ninjamog

The lamp you bought from Ikea doesn't need an earth or one would have been provided in the cabling & plug. Just connect the live and neutral to the 5A (round type) plug and you're fine. The lamp you bought mustn't have any exposed metal components and hence, doesn't need the earth.

Ok will give that a go and hopefully don't try myself.

Thank you 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

It is just a plug and not a transformer?

Works perfectly.

Thanks again!

It is just a plug and not a transformer?

It's just a plug. It's a bog standard lamp. Seems to work fine now. Thanks though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement