Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden shed now used as a music room for kid

Options
  • 06-09-2015 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

My next door neighbor took down his old shed and built a new one (much bigger than what was there previously). It turns out that one of his kids is now in there and has setup his computer and a very loud sound system. I don't care how much time he spends in there but the noise is bothering us and is a nuisance. I don't want to be all heavy handed but if I speak to him and get nowhere do I have any rights?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Moved from c&p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Unless it's late at night or early in the morning it's unlikely that there's anything you can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Suggest they get headphones :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

How big is the shed? Is it a shed or a room? Did they seek planning permission?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Is the shed under the exempted limits?
    If so then it is allowed to be used as achillary to the main house so for hobbies, light work, gym etc

The loud music may come under the Environmental Health Officer's role though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Pop in and have a word , suggest that if it's being used as a music room that that sound proof it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

murphmm wrote: »
    My next door neighbor took down his old shed and built a new one (much bigger than what was there previously). It turns out that one of his kids is now in there and has setup his computer and a very loud sound system. I don't care how much time he spends in there but the noise is bothering us and is a nuisance. I don't want to be all heavy handed but if I speak to him and get nowhere do I have any rights?
    <snip>.
    While this is not my soundest idea to date, you might be able to use the following for some leverage. [ Part E ]
    http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,39956,en.pdf

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I hear someone banging away on drums in an old garage on one of my running routes in Bray aswell, often wonder how the neighbours can stand it...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

How well do you know your neighbour?
    If you're on friendly terms mention that you've noticed the music and although it's great the the son is doing musing it bothers you because of the loudness.

If you can hear it inside your house then surely the parents also hears it?
    Have other neighbours mentioned it?

And yeah, don't come all aggro when you approach them. Just mention that it can be heard by all neighbours and is a bit of a bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

<snip>

OP, pop in an have a civilized word to the parents. Along the lines of wondering if it's possible to do a bit of sound proofing - for everyone's sakes. The parents likely hate the noise as much as you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

If they get thick ask them to explain why he cant use headphones if its electronic and not coming from an instrument.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

ted1 wrote: »
    Pop in and have a word , suggest that if it's being used as a music room that that sound proof it.

This advice is best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Pac2015

Ask the neighbour to sound proof the shed and if all else fails take note of the noise when its being played times, level to which you can hear it and report to the council for noise.

Advertisement