Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleanser for combination-sensitive skin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I haven't used either products below but Nuxe gets great reviews.

I have combination skin that can be sensitive unless I am nice to it. I love NUTRIGANICS FOAMING FACE WASH from the Body Shop. I used to use the seaweed but as I got older my skin isn't as oily so I changed to the nutriganics one. It's not drying, but still my skin doesn't get oily with it and it doesn't make my spots worse (only get them now around my period). I preferred the foam to the cleanser as I just didn't like it but normally go for a gel cleanser. I also think the foam is good as you only need one squirt and you don't use too much product.

It's about €14 (and lasts ages) and if you get a body shop card (€5) you get 10% off when you spend more than €15.

The aloe vera is also good for sensitive but I found my skin got a bit oily with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I've used the second honey based cleanser and I don't rate it. I have combination skin, oily T-zone and normal rest of face, I also have rosacea so fairly sensitive skin.

I found the Nuxe Reve du miel cleanser to be fairly drying and it smells strongly of honey. It is useless at removing make up and left my skin drier than it should. I started using it as a shower gel instead and it's far better!

I've found that I prefer balm or hot cloth based cleansers as they are far kinder to my skin. Oil based cleansers work better and are not as drying. My T-zone doesn't react and my skin doesn't feel stripped. They don't have to be very expensive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

I love Liz Earle hot cloth cleanser & moogoo oil cleansing method. I've combination, slightly sensitive. Both of these leaves my skin clean, even toned & happy :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Have you tried micellar water? I have oily skin that doesn't take kindly to heavy products (the Nivea cleanser gave me a terrible breakout) but have nothing but good things to say about both the Botanics and Simple micellar waters.

Botanics do a range for sensitive skin, but if you can try to avoid using products labeled 'for sensitive skin' you can further sensitise your skin, instead try using products that are naturally based and alcohol free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

I love hot cloth cleaners, I use oil cleansers and micellar waters to remove makeup sometimes, but it's the only thing that cleans my face without without stripping it or breaking me out.

I use liz earle too, I've heard great things about the no7 , sanctuary and soap & glory versions which are a little cheaper and easier to get hold of

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I use the Liz Earle hot cloth cleanser as well. It's so good. My face feels so clean after it. I have combination and very sensitive skin. I've never had a problem with it.
    It's 19 euro and you can order it online from boots.ie. I thought it was too expensive so put off buying it for ages but it's worth the extra few euro. I used the no 7 hot cloth cleanser before and the Liz earle is far superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all your suggestions, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

To cleanse my face and remove make up I go between micellar water and coconut oil.

I have tried No7 skin care (various items) and they have aggravated my skin and I have broken out from them.

I haven't tried Liz Earle but an immediate relative (with the same skin as me) has used them and has had bad reactions to them, so I am wary of using their products.

I've tried Soap & Glory skin care, and really don't rate it, I only really like their SPF 50 sunscreen.

I have used a few things from the Boots Botanics range but will have another look at their cleansers and see what else they have to offer.

As I said in my first post, I am looking for a cleanser that I can rinse off with water, whether it removes make up or not I don't mind as I always remove my make up with micellar water or coconut oil anyway so that really isn't important to me.

Thanks again for all your suggestions. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I've combination/sensitive skin and rosacea and the best cleansers I've found are la Roche posey toleraine, Clinique take the day off balm and Clinique redness relief face wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I swear by Dr Haushka cleanser and toner. I have quite sensitive skin and I love it, any time I use something else I regret it. I use it with a facecloth rinsed in warm water and it does a great job, apart from eye makeup, so I use something else for that area. I love the toner too, its really gentle on my skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Have you tried something like the Nima mitt? It's a little microfibre glove that naturally removes makeup and grime with just water. I used one for a good while but never got around to buying another.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much everyone for your suggestions.

I was in Boots today and noticed they have a 3-for-2 offer on on skincare and a few other categories so I picked up my two usual cleansers and a new one (well, new to me anyway).

http://www.boots.ie/en/Neutrogena-Visibly-Clear-Oil-Free-Facial-Wash-200ml_1114061/

http://www.boots.ie/en/Garnier-Pure-Active-Fruit-Energy-Daily-Energising-Gel-Wash-200ml_1262023/

http://www.boots.ie/en/Soap-Glory%C2%99-Face-Soap-and-Clarity%C2%99-3-in-1-Daily-Detox-Vitamin-C-Facial-Wash-350ml_1683518/

I used the soap and glory on tonight and its lovely, smells really nice and has little beads in it which burst as you rub it into your skin.

Going to try it a number of times more obviously but so far I like it.

The bottle is huge too, its 250ml so it will last for ages as you only need a tiny amount cos a little goes a long way with this stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

I really liked using the Una Brennan Rose Hydrate Calming Cleanser. As mad as it sounds (hydrating products were something I used to avoid), it was the best cleanser I've ever used for my combo-oily skin (I recently bought the Emma Hardy cleanser, which I love but it is 4 times the price :(). The Una Brennan cleanser is a nice cream, takes off makeup pretty well, cleans the skin without stripping it and ended up reducing my excess sebum (I used foaming cleansers prior to this before taking some of Caroline Hirons advice and switching to less harsh cleansers). Also it reduced my skin redness and I could see the redness going down if I was naughty and used a wipe before using the cleanser. It's normally about 10 euro in Boots, sometimes 6 euro on offer or else 3 for 2 :) The only downside is that it does have a strong rose smell, that although it doesn't linger after removing the cleanser, if you hate rose-scented products then this may cause a problem.

bscm wrote: »
    I really liked using the Una Brennan Rose Hydrate Calming Cleanser. As mad as it sounds (hydrating products were something I used to avoid), it was the best cleanser I've ever used for my combo-oily skin (I recently bought the Emma Hardy cleanser, which I love but it is 4 times the price :(). The Una Brennan cleanser is a nice cream, takes off makeup pretty well, cleans the skin without stripping it and ended up reducing my excess sebum (I used foaming cleansers prior to this before taking some of Caroline Hirons advice and switching to less harsh cleansers). Also it reduced my skin redness and I could see the redness going down if I was naughty and used a wipe before using the cleanser. It's normally about 10 euro in Boots, sometimes 6 euro on offer or else 3 for 2 :) The only downside is that it does have a strong rose smell, that although it doesn't linger after removing the cleanser, if you hate rose-scented products then this may cause a problem.
    I've tried that cleanser, it was nice but I personally didn't like it for removing make up and the scent was so strong I personally found it nauseating.

I'm not a fan of rose scented products but if its a light scent I can deal with it but not that cleanser, it was way too strong I thought.

I liked that it was creamy and gentle though, I loved that about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Melisandre121

Miscellar waters sound amazing, can't believe I'm only hearing about them now. Which brand does the best one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

Micellar water is good, but the residue definitely clogs my pores, really good for makeup removal.
    I have a mini bioderma which is fanatic for eye makeup removal and perfect for travelling, the garnier one is almost as good and fantastic value.

The body shops camomile oil cleanser is great and so is the Vichy oil cleanser, always go back to lizzy though (that's what I call the LE hot cloth cleanser )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I use Nivea cleansing milk. It costs about €6. Whenever I change to other cleansers I tend to get spots!

Advertisement