Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Patched/plugged tyres

• 06-09-2015 8:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭

Yet another "It depends on who you ask" question :-)

I had a puncture today, front tyre, not dead centre of the tread but not sidewall either. Plugged it, rode around for probably 200km on it, and it looks fine. Tyre pressure sensors say it held its air perfectly.

So, do I bring it to be taken off and patched properly? Let the plug last for the lifetime of the tyre? Replace the tyre? Anything I've been able to ask or research has been "It depends on how much money you want to spend". What do people generally do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Repairs are expensive and the temptation is always there to repair yourself, but if you're unsure then take it to have it professionally repaired.

Another consideration, considering the expense of having it done (I've paid €25-30 for repairs) if the tyre is old and worn it might make economic sense to go with the home fix and replace the tyre when you have the bucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Fairly new tyre, sadly (pic is over in the 'daunting firsts' thread -- might be best to get a better repair job done than the tar strings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I'm fairly confident in repair jobs but it also depends on the riding you're doing.
    If your doing significant speeds then a repair job isn't great.

Also personally I wouldn't like to use a repaired front wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Depends on the damage to it. If its a pretty clean wound, fine. But when you pull out a 1/4 inch bolt, you might be better of replacing the tyre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

This is a cage tyre but in fairness, I'd have confidence in this type of repair on a bike tyre. I don't know for sure if this is the type of kit available out there though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I have no probs plugging any tyre....however, if its the front I plug it myself and then get it patched on the inside and its perfect. I dont mess around with the front. The rear tyre I plug away....I had a PR2 on the back of my old FZ6 and it must of had 4 plugs in it at one stage and I rode it on and on and on!

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I have no probs plugging any tyre....however, if its the front I plug it myself and then get it patched on the inside and its perfect. I dont mess around with the front. The rear tyre I plug away....I had a PR2 on the back of my old FZ6 and it must of had 4 plugs in it at one stage and I rode it on and on and on!

Had a proper look and tyre is about half gone, so said **** it and replaced, coming into the winter anyway.

What do people carry around to inflate? You'd need 3 or 4 of those co2 capsule yokes, or 10 mins of sweat with a cycley bike pump :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

If you have a power socket on the bike you can get really small compressors that will fit under the seat. Will take about 10 minutes to inflate the tyre

goodlad wrote: »
    If you have a power socket on the bike you can get really small compressors that will fit under the seat. Will take about 10 minutes to inflate the tyre

Aye, I discovered the other day the socket on the dash won't power mine :-) Going to pick up a cheap ebay socket to go direct into the batt and live under the seat.

I have this....excellent unit and small. Use it on battery terminals or 12v plug sockets. Them little units of compressed gas are excellent aswell. Even one of them will get you to a garage, AFAIK there is about 20psi in each one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RAC-HP223-Compact-Air-Compressor/dp/B00BYORVMG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

That's a handy little piece of kit Wonda, good find ;)

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    That's a handy little piece of kit Wonda, good find ;)

Its great. Dirt cheap and compact with a good few attachments. It aint gonna blow a wheel up in 2 mins but it will do the job a good un.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Yet another "It depends on who you ask" question :-)

I had a puncture today, front tyre, not dead centre of the tread but not sidewall either. Plugged it, rode around for probably 200km on it, and it looks fine. Tyre pressure sensors say it held its air perfectly.

So, do I bring it to be taken off and patched properly? Let the plug last for the lifetime of the tyre? Replace the tyre? Anything I've been able to ask or research has been "It depends on how much money you want to spend". What do people generally do?

Once you pierce the tyre you expose the various layers which make up the tyres to the elements. No repair can be guaranteed to completely seal the hole from outer to inner for the rest of the life of the tyre. The repair has only got to seal the hole over a fraction of the depth of the tyre to seal the air in. Moisture comes from outside and inside (by way of moist air pumped into the tyre)

There's also the damage to the woven steel structure that makes up the structural skeleton of the tyre. In addition to damage cause by the puncture and subsequent repair, you've the possibility of water-caused corrosion setting in further weakening the structure. Water is an aggressive solvent - just consider it's widespread use in that role. You've also got cyclical forces applied to the tyre during use which work on that weak area, tending to spread the damage.

You've also got to consider the environment in which a tyre is produced: clean, dedicated to that function, automated, with quality control systems attaching at all stages. Then consider the environment in which a repair takes place.

I work in the engineering/maintenance area in manufacturing and the implications/costs associated with failures arising out of fitters spannering on equipment in a non-ideal environment mean we throw out, rather than repair, a whole host of critical components which have been assembled in the perfect environment of the OEM's facility. It costs more to throw out than repair, but you've the certainty that comes with not having breakdowns arising down the line from poor attempts at repair. Breakdowns with far higher cost consequences than the price of replacing the component.

Repairing the tyre on a motorcycle, most especially the front, for anything other than temporary use is, to my mind, madness. Even though it can pain from time to time (I once threw away a rear tyre with only a couple of hundred miles on it), you can ride with peace of mind - without the nagging thought that should now be brought upon you by having read this post :).

Think of how you'd feel if you injured yourself or someone else, for the sake of a hundred or two euros.

-

Of course, this opens you up to the issue of riding in the hard shoulder in v. slow traffic (where punctures are likely) vs. riding between lanes of traffic, where the risks are increased. The only solution is slower riding in between lanes or putting up with the expense of replacing tyres more often. Or running the risk of catastrophic tyre failure.

Once you pierce the tyre you expose the various layers which make up the tyres to the elements. No repair can be guaranteed to completely seal the hole from outer to inner for the rest of the life of the tyre. The repair has only got to seal the hole over a fraction of the depth of the tyre to seal the air in. Moisture comes from outside and inside (by way of moist air pumped into the tyre)

There's also the damage to the woven steel structure that makes up the structural skeleton of the tyre. In addition to damage cause by the puncture and subsequent repair, you've the possibility of water-caused corrosion setting in further weakening the structure. Water is an aggressive solvent - just consider it's widespread use in that role. You've also got cyclical forces applied to the tyre during use which work on that weak area, tending to spread the damage.

You've also got to consider the environment in which a tyre is produced: clean, dedicated to that function, automated, with quality control systems attaching at all stages. Then consider the environment in which a repair takes place.

I work in the engineering/maintenance area in manufacturing and the implications/costs associated with failures arising out of fitters spannering on equipment in a non-ideal environment mean we throw out, rather than repair, a whole host of critical components which have been assembled in the perfect environment of the OEM's facility. It costs more to throw out than repair, but you've the certainty that comes with not having breakdowns arising down the line from poor attempts at repair. Breakdowns with far higher cost consequences than the price of replacing the component.

Repairing the tyre on a motorcycle, most especially the front, for anything other than temporary use is, to my mind, madness. Even though it can pain from time to time (I once threw away a rear tyre with only a couple of hundred miles on it), you can ride with peace of mind - without the nagging thought that should now be brought upon you by having read this post :).

Think of how you'd feel if you injured yourself or someone else, for the sake of a hundred or two euros.

-

Of course, this opens you up to the issue of riding in the hard shoulder in v. slow traffic (where punctures are likely) vs. riding between lanes of traffic, where the risks are increased. The only solution is slower riding in between lanes or putting up with the expense of replacing tyres more often. Or running the risk of catastrophic tyre failure.

Surely if you get the tyre patched on the inside its as good as new. No way on earth I bin a tyre if nearly new because of a puncture. Unless it's a side wall hole.

Surely if you get the tyre patched on the inside its as good as new. No way on earth I bin a tyre if nearly new because of a puncture. Unless it's a side wall hole.

If you get a tyre patched on the inside you've:

- got something stuck onto the tyre which isn't intrinsically attached to it - which means it can let go in future. You're dependent on how well someone does the repair.

- not rectified the damage done to the structure. Tyres are more than just about keeping air in. Which is all the patch does.

- you've not protected against further damage to the structure caused by water/oil penetration into the damaged area, from the environment.

You can of course decide to run with a patch. That's a different matter to saying the tyre is as good as new. It's clearly not. What you engage then is a gamble. Whether or not that's a good gamble (given motorcycling itself it something of a gamble) is up to you. Myself, I just figured it'd be a shame to do myself a injury preventable for a few bob.

Maybe its the mechanical engineer in me which can't avoid mentally picturing forces at work/corrosion activity/technicans Friday afternoon work quality .. suffice to say I found it disquieting to blast off down the motorway at illegal speeds with a front tyre held together in with a patch. I mean the word "patch" kind of tells you everything. When does something patched inspire top level confidence :)

Now I'm not against patching a hole in a pair of jeans...

- got something stuck onto the tyre which isn't intrinsically attached to it - which means it can let go in future. You're dependent on how well someone does the repair.

- not rectified the damage done to the structure. Tyres are more than just about keeping air in. Which is all the patch does.

- you've not protected against further damage to the structure caused by water/oil penetration into the damaged area, from the environment.

You can of course decide to run with a patch. That's a different matter to saying the tyre is as good as new. It's clearly not. What you engage then is a gamble. Whether or not that's a good gamble (given motorcycling itself it something of a gamble) is up to you. Myself, I just figured it'd be a shame to do myself a injury preventable for a few bob.

Maybe its the mechanical engineer in me which can't avoid mentally picturing forces at work/corrosion activity/technicans Friday afternoon work quality .. suffice to say I found it disquieting to blast off down the motorway at illegal speeds with a front tyre held together in with a patch. I mean the word "patch" kind of tells you everything. When does something patched inspire top level confidence :)

When I said as good as new I was of course referring to the figure of speech. I would be quite happy to run a tyre with a good patch.

When I said as good as new I was of course referring to the figure of speech. I would be quite happy to run a tyre with a good patch.

Which doesn't exactly inform as to:

a) how you assess you've a "good" patch.

b) how you deal with the specific technical issues which degrade (and can be expected to continue to degrade) the structural integrity of a repaired tyre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

At work there is a fleet of vans.
    If we bring a van with a puncture to the tyre centre they are not allowed plug a tyre.
    Patch only.
    The guy that owns the tyre centre told me it is one of the terms of the contract.
    I think he said the valve has to be changed every time aswell.

I trust my mechanic. I believe a well executed patch is absolutely fine... but it's my behind if I'm wrong.

Actually, I never mentioned that in this case, I got the tyre replaced. While they were at it, they updated the bike's software, found a fault that'll be covered under warranty for free and a recall they'll do for free. Happy out.

• Advertisement

Which doesn't exactly inform as to:

a) how you assess you've a "good" patch.

b) how you deal with the specific technical issues which degrade (and can be expected to continue to degrade) the structural integrity of a repaired tyre.

I assess the patch by watching the dude do the patch, if he uses SPIT to stick the patch to the tyre I would err on the side of caution. If he uses the industrial cement/glue and and nice smooth hand movement and give we a wink then in my low intelligence its job oxo.

You really dont have to over analyse every single thing in life....it like it says in the bible, proverb 3:5-6

Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
    in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.

Respect to the big man above!

I assess the patch by watching the dude do the patch, if he uses SPIT to stick the patch to the tyre I would err on the side of caution. If he uses the industrial cement/glue and and nice smooth hand movement and give we a wink then in my low intelligence its job oxo.

You really dont have to over analyse every single thing in life....it like it says in the bible, proverb 3:5-6

I used to be a bike mechanic. I fixed punctures because that's a service the shop offered. I was shown how to fix punctures by another mechanic who in turn learned to fix punctures because that was a service offered by the shop he trained in. Understanding structural integrity (and the impossibility of assessing same) and the issue of ongoing degradation doesn't figure in the toolbox of a mechanic.

It's not over-analyzing to become aware of whats actually going on and figuring out that Hey! repairs don't stack up. Unless of course, saving a few quid is your priority

Do you reckon they patch aircraft tyres?
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
    in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.

Clearly, the Lord isn't omnipotent when it comes to Irish roads. Think Deuteronomy 6:16

cantdecide wrote: »
    I trust my mechanic. I believe a well executed patch is absolutely fine... but it's my behind if I'm wrong.

See my post above. There's blind faith and faith based on solid evidence.

See my post above. There's blind faith and faith based on solid evidence.

You can be extremely fastidious and go to obsessive levels of control and sometimes crap just happens anyway :) I know I'm not fully in control of every aspect of every component of my bike but I do go to greater lengths than most (as a Joe Soap) to ensure I know my bike inside out but frankly I'm more concerned about debris, bad roads and bad driving because statistically, they have a greater chance of doing me harm than a properly plugged tyre in an otherwise perfectly well maintained machine.

Clearly, the Lord isn't omnipotent when it comes to Irish roads. Think Deuteronomy 6:16

No? But at least he had 3 wise men!!!!

Advertisement