Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How thick a layer of soil for grass?

Options
  • 06-09-2015 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I'm redoing the garden and there's a section of old concrete pathway that I want to grass over. To get the level of grass I want, I guess I can put about 2 to 3 inches of soil on top of the concrete. Is that enough of a bed of soil for grass to stitch and be secure?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭TAZ32

kelbal wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm redoing the garden and there's a section of old concrete pathway that I want to grass over. To get the level of grass I want, I guess I can put about 2 to 3 inches of soil on top of the concrete. Is that enough of a bed of soil for grass to stitch and be secure?

Thanks

Where is the water meant to go to? Seapage.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

TAZ32 wrote: »
    Where is the water meant to go to? Seapage.

Guess I could just drill through the concrete in a couple of spots about 8 inches apart to allow for that? Its not a large area I'm talking about

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if it's not that large an area, are you willing to consider just lifting the concrete?

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

if it's not that large an area, are you willing to consider just lifting the concrete?

Yes, in theory it would make sense, but my topsoil is a bit limited so I'd rather not have to break it out and be left with a crater to fill!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

If it's just a small area perhaps you could hit it a few smacks with a sledgehammer to break it up and then leave it in situ. Best idea is to lift it though, if it gets any amount of traffic, especially when wet, it will slip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I have the same problem, I left the concrete and let grass grow over it.grass can grow in a centimetre of soil so I'd take it up to the level of the lawn. drill holes for drainage.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭TAZ32

You can drill holes and hope it works but there is a possibility them holes will fill with silt sand and clay. If you can make big cracks or even better lift it, would the correct way. You could even put the rubble back underneath and then soil on top and lay your lawn on the level surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Do it right or dont do it at all.
    Break up the pathway and remove it.Then lay down your topsoil,take out any surface stones,rake over to level it,and then roll out new lawn turf.Water well and then keep off it until it establishes itself.

Advertisement