Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back in the game, Back feeling the pain

Options
  • 06-09-2015 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just thought i'd get this thread going to try document any improvements I might make and also tap into the unbelievable amount of knowledge i've seen on these pages. I am not a novice runner by any means but seem to fall in and out of love with it, Lately I seem to be more consistent so thought i'd start to document my times. My PB's are below so if i look back in a year hopefully they improve, all help and criticism is very welcome;

PB's

5km-Grant Thornton Sep 15- 20:41
    10km-Never done one oddly enough!!
    5mile-Dublin Race Series 5mile 09-34:38
    10mile- Dublin Race Series 10mile 2012- 1:14:13
    Half Marathon: Dublin Half 2012- 1:40:56
    Marathon: DCM 2012- 3:47:16

the above are modest enough times but need to improve,

First target the Rathfarnham 5k and sub20...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭romteilly

Saturday 5th September
    5x500m speed session:
    First session Ive ever done like this so I went 500m at lazy pace to start, then 500m at 80% this was repeated 5 times, my timing of this wasn't great

Sunday 4th September

10km at 5.16km
    Wanted to do 8km but legs felt good for this one so hit 10km, probably a bit quick but not exactly sure, good week all in all with a 8km Thursday and a 20:41 in the Grant Thornton event.

Monday 07/09/15

First dark run of the year went for a slower pace recovery run after the Ireland game, really enjoyed how peaceful out it was.

5.6km at 6.03min/km

I wonder is that a little to slow?

Wednesday 09/09/15

7.1km at 5.29/km

Very comfortable pace tonight but some horror hills, anyone who lives near stocking lane will know what i'm talking about.

Day off tomorrow might try do a hill session, big thing is that I mix it up as much as I can.

Thursday 10/09/2015

5.8km at 5.29/km

Good afternoon run in the sun, very warm but headed over to the park and did 5x100m Hill sprints on the Dodder Riverbank Hill, its great altogether very tired now though.

Really liking Strava as my running app tried a few but like the way it picks up difficult locations and compares your effort to others, Prob a rest day tomorrow and Saturday as i'm working Saturday. Debating whether to do an LSR or speed training Sunday, Any thoughts on which will help me break 20mins on the 5k in 3 weeks.

• Advertisement

Sunday 13/09/2015

Took Friday and Saturday off cause I had a full work schedule so was a long run this morning, thought I was moving at a slow pace but finished up with 5:22/km bit to quick especially seeing as I did a big climb on the Knockylon Road and Stocking Lane, Big week this week to try get 4 sessions in as i'm off to a wedding in Spain next Saturday so can't see myself doing much running... Time to put the feet up with the soccer and NFL for the day though, recovery run will be the order of the day tomorrow evening.

11.1km at 5.22/km

Tuesday 14/09/15

5.1km at 6.00/km

Slow recovery run last night body feeling a bit sore going round but was a lovely evening, wanted to get out Monday evening but was to lazy after work!! Might have to bring my runners on my holidays after all..

Came across this after awhile of ignoring it 2 years to be exact...
    Back consistent over the last 6 weeks, Irish runner next week so looking for a good time

Tuesday
    Progression run 13.92km @ 5:02/km

Trying to have different styles of sessions so using strava based a half marathon training program.

Wednesday
    12.70km @ 4:58/km

6x1 mile intervals- tough session 5/6 miles were at 6:50-6:59, busy with life Thursday and Friday so back with a bang the weekend

13.1 clontarf half-1:43:12

Enjoyed this race was cruising at one stage thanks to the flat surface, last 3 miles on the beach and into the wind pulled me back but all in all good result

Sunday 2nd July

4m recovery-8:57min/mile

Thought I was going slower than that to fair, really have to review my recovery pace, at a bit of a cross road now- don't know whether to push to 5 days a week or stick to 4.if I did it like the below would I get better results

Monday rest
    Tuesday easy
    Wednesday speed work
    Thursday recovery
    Friday rest
    Saturday general aerobic
    Sunday long run

If anyone has any ideas on how to improve in terms of schedule please shout out

Tuesday 4th of July 7miles @ 8:44 min/mile

Tough enough run this, ran down by my old estate pace was comfortable enough,had a bit of a cold and im trying my best to stay in and not run. Instead im looking at what paces i should train at.

Looking at running world it says i should be going at the below

Easy pace 9:12min/mile
    Tempo 7:40min/mile
    Vo2 6:55 min/mile
    Long run 9:12-10:30 min/mile

Going try stick to these paces as best i can, hopefully i improve

Also aiming for 1000 miles this year currently 345/1000

• Advertisement

Thursday 6/7/17 4miles @ 8:53 min/mile

Got out in the end for a quick run trying to maintain the consistent 4 runs per week, nice to get out on the long evenings was trying to keep the pace lower but struggle to do so.. any slower than that would feel like recovery pace

Saturday 08/07/2017 8 miles @ 8:55min/mile

Pace was slow to start on this one, still feeling the affects of a cold so hard to get moving, was fairly comfortable from mid way but still jaded at the end, early night tonight and 14 miles tomorrow, was glancing at the P&D 55 mile plan today and unknowingly I'm in line with mileage for week 1, not signed up for the DCM but its been in the back of my head for awhile now..

Really annoying have been sick since last Monday well was actually sick last week but ran instead of resting and of course it got worse, was on holiday's from work this week aswell so its been disappointing.

I'm going to try get out Friday, Saturday & Sunday just short enough distances- Fingal 10k next Sunday think I have enough miles in the legs anyway for a good performance but i'm still hoping for a PB, here's hoping the next 10 days go better

Funny to see this still sitting here - I think I might revive it to keep myself motivated - not much as changed here - was bopping along for 4 years doing the same stuff all the time and decided to get a run coach a few months back - its been very beneficial for me and I hope now that the world is becoming more accessible I can start getting out to racing - ill post my weekly runs and how it felt

Monday 8k @ 5.15km - Easy enough around at this pace

Wednesday 2k WU/ 10x500m@4.30 (75 second rest)/ 2k CD (12km total) - Enjoyed this one - keeping to the correct pace and warming up and cooling down properly has been the biggest learning in all this - keeping 4.30 pace was difficult for rep 6,7,8 but I was going up hill into headwind so overall session was good

Thursday 6k @ 5.30 - Pace here was good throughout, leggy after Wednesday's session but 2 days rest now before 15k on Sunday

Advertisement