Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notes from iPad to Macbook

• 06-09-2015 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭

Just looking for some clarification.

I want to give away my iPad 2, but it has a couple of hundred notes on it that I don't want to lose. I can't seem to get them to go onto iCloud and then onto my Macbook Pro.

If and when and I get them up into the iCloud and subsequently onto my Macbook, when I restore the iPad, will the notes be deleted from my Macbook too because they were stored originally on the iPad?

Also if this makes any difference - the iPad is synced with a different (now broken) laptop, so I can't make a backup of it or anything there in case the notes are deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Are they not backing up to iCloud? As long as they back up to iCloud they should be safe and ready for your other devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Just looking for some clarification.

I want to give away my iPad 2, but it has a couple of hundred notes on it that I don't want to lose. I can't seem to get them to go onto iCloud and then onto my Macbook Pro.

If and when and I get them up into the iCloud and subsequently onto my Macbook, when I restore the iPad, will the notes be deleted from my Macbook too because they were stored originally on the iPad?

Also if this makes any difference - the iPad is synced with a different (now broken) laptop, so I can't make a backup of it or anything there in case the notes are deleted.

No, they'll be stored on iCloud and whatever device you sign into the notes will be there. If you want you can install the iOS 9 beta on your iPad and El Capitan beta on your MacBook, all Notes now sync automatically across devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

naasrd wrote: »
    No, they'll be stored on iCloud and whatever device you sign into the notes will be there. If you want you can install the iOS 9 beta on your iPad and El Capitan beta on your MacBook, all Notes now sync automatically across devices.

Why would that make any difference? Notes sync between devices on iOS 8 & 10.10 anyway. Advising to try Beta software to sort an easy notes issue doesn't seem practical.

OP - if you go into Mail, Contacts and Calendars on your iPad, do you have any Mail accounts added that have notes switched on? It's likely that your notes are tied to a mail account.

Also if you check settings > Notes > see what the default account is. If its Gmail or Hotmail etc its likely thats where your notes are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Why would that make any difference? Notes sync between devices on iOS 8 & 10.10 anyway. Advising to try Beta software to sort an easy notes issue doesn't seem practical.

Mightn't seem practical but it is, that's from first hand experience. Unless you have a different experience yourself??? I didn't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

naasrd wrote: »
    Mightn't seem practical but it is, that's from first hand experience. Unless you have a different experience yourself??? I didn't think so.

When I provided a perfectly simple solution without the need for Beta software, it is highly impractical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭themissymoo

FourFourFM wrote: »
    OP - if you go into Mail, Contacts and Calendars on your iPad, do you have any Mail accounts added that have notes switched on? It's likely that your notes are tied to a mail account.

Also if you check settings > Notes > see what the default account is. If its Gmail or Hotmail etc its likely thats where your notes are.

Default account is set to iCloud. I haven't any email addresses set up with the iPad anymore, as I'm giving it to my Mam. This is the only thing left for me to clear (aside from the apps she uses on it already) before it's as good as new.
    naasrd wrote:
    They'll be stored on iCloud

You see, I can't get them onto iCloud (at least I don't think they're there yet).

Advertisement