Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you need to do construction at LC to go into a trade?

• 06-09-2015 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Quick question, myself and a friend of mine who do biology (it's opposite construction in our school) were wondering is the opportunity to go into a skilled trade there for us even though we have not studied construction at leaving cert.

(Granted we both did woodwork but that doesn't count for much)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I doubt it matters if you are willing to work and show interest, skill and aptitude. I'm sure it would be useful if you were to go into something like carpentry and some of the skills you learn in construction would be useful, but equally you could argue the same for physics (electrician) or engineering.

Remember a lot of students (almost all lads) often left school after junior cert and did a trade without LC Construction or equivalent. Even JC Woodwork would give you a base for some of the basic carpentry skills.

A relevant LC subject can only be of benefit, but most trades from what I know take about 4 years as an apprentice with some periods at college to do the theory end of things, so you would be taught from scratch.

Funny, people often look down on trades as being less than a degree, yet the apprentice finishes with the skills for a specific career and it takes the same length of time as a degree, it just doesn't have a bit of paper from a university attached. I've never understood it myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

TheBiz wrote: »
    Quick question, myself and a friend of mine who do biology (it's opposite construction in our school) were wondering is the opportunity to go into a skilled trade there for us even though we have not studied construction at leaving cert.

(Granted we both did woodwork but that doesn't count for much)
    What trade are ye thinking of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

What trade are ye thinking of?

Really undecided.
    I was thinking electrician but I may just like the thought of it rather than the work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

I doubt it matters if you are willing to work and show interest, skill and aptitude. I'm sure it would be useful if you were to go into something like carpentry and some of the skills you learn in construction would be useful, but equally you could argue the same for physics (electrician) or engineering.

Remember a lot of students (almost all lads) often left school after junior cert and did a trade without LC Construction or equivalent. Even JC Woodwork would give you a base for some of the basic carpentry skills.

A relevant LC subject can only be of benefit, but most trades from what I know take about 4 years as an apprentice with some periods at college to do the theory end of things, so you would be taught from scratch.

Funny, people often look down on trades as being less than a degree, yet the apprentice finishes with the skills for a specific career and it takes the same length of time as a degree, it just doesn't have a bit of paper from a university attached. I've never understood it myself.

I know in my school it's seen as the place for those who aren't very good at school and just want to get out working.
    My parents even just assume I'll be going to college. But I'd rather sus out all my options.

Advertisement