Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Serena Williams complete career grand slam?

Options
  • 07-09-2015 4:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Serena Williams has won Australian Open, French Open and Wimbledon this year. If she succeeds to win US Open 2015, it will be her first career Grand Slam year.

Serena to meet sister Venus in the quarter-final. Maria Sharapova is already out from the competition due to injury. So what do you think friends, will Serena win 2015 US Open?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

She completed a career grand slam in 2003. A career grand slam is where you win each of the four majors in your career.

If she wins the US Open she'll win her first grand slam, i.e. each of the four majors in one calendar year.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 shivesh73

It was not a complete career grand slam year. Career's Grand Slam year is when a player wins all 4 Grand Slams in a single year..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

shivesh73 wrote: »
    It was not a complete career grand slam year. Career's Grand Slam year is when a player wins all 4 Grand Slams in a single year..

There are three types of "Grand Slam" in tennis:

"Career Grand Slam" - Win each of the four principal tournaments at least once each during the entirety of your career. You can only do it once (you only have one career), but it's the easiest to do.

"Season Grand Slam" - Win each of the four in the same season (ie Wimbledon first in June, through to Aus open the following January (which is in a different calendar year))

"Calendar Year Grand Slam" - Win each of the four in the same calendar year (ie Aus Open first in Jan (at the end of one season), through Wimbledon, French Open and US Open in the following season, but the same calendar year)

Tennis commentators, of course, greatly confuse matters by referring to each of the 4 Tournaments as "Grand Slams" when they should really refer to them as "tournaments counting towards a Grand Slam". They should really call them Majors or something, like Golf does.

The waters a further muddied by the fact that people sometimes say things like "Serena Williams has won 21 Grand Slams". She hasn't. She has won Wim, Aus Open & US Open 6 times each and Fr Open 3 times, but that's 21 "Majors", not 21 Grand Slams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 BarryAlfaro

I hope she does,she is right now the best and in men I like Nadal.

Yeah, Serena Williams wins.. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

There are three types of "Grand Slam" in tennis:

There's also the 'Golden Slam' which is winning all 4 tournaments and Olympic gold in the same year. Graf did it in 1988, doubt it will ever be achieved in my lifetime anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

She will surely beat the unseeded Vinci to get to the final. Still some good competition on the other side of the draw, Halep and Kvitova, although she'll only have to play one of them.

Can't say I'm a fan of Serena. She doesn't have a lot of class, plus she can probably bench press more than I can.

I am really getting the feel that she will win for sure.. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,507 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think she will win, but I have no real interest either way. I find her and a lot of the women's tennis quite dull.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Maybe park this thread until next year....

EDIT: Actually OP, we do have a Racquet Sports Forum which is more suited to discussing tennis matters

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Well that was a surprise. Never even heard of this Vinci girl.

Really it was setback not only for Serena but also for the entire tennis world..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Great she was beaten. Womens tennis badly needs a new face. Well done to her conqueror.

Advertisement